Can companions heal you?

jamochawoke

Just tried both scripts. While they should technically work... in the fight he still never casts the spells.

I just don't get it :/.

EDIT::

Here's my whole script for the NPC the last I updated it:

scn VDSimon

short doOnce
float timer

begin gameMode

if doOnce == 0 
if Player.getdistance VDBrotherSimonREF <= 200
	VDBrotherSimonREF.StartConversation Player VDOracleQuestTopic4
	set doOnce to 1
endif
endif

if VDOracleDatabase.SimonFollower == 1
set timer to timer + GetSecondsPassed

if timer >= 5
    	set timer to 0
	if Player.GetAV Health <= 40
		if Player.GetDistance VDBrotherSimonREF <= 200
			cast VDRestoreHealthArea4Expert Player
		endif
	endif
	if VDBrotherSimonREF.GetAV Health <= 40
			cast VDRestoreHealthArea4Expert Player
		endif
	endif
endif

endif

end

Edited by jamochawoke

I also tried this variation in case setting the timer to 0 happened too soon. Still nothing...

scn VDSimon

short doOnce
float timer

begin gameMode

if doOnce == 0 
if Player.getdistance VDBrotherSimonREF <= 200
	VDBrotherSimonREF.StartConversation Player VDOracleQuestTopic4
	set doOnce to 1
endif
endif

if timer >= 5
	if Player.GetAV Health <= 50 || VDBrotherSimonREF.GetAV Health <= 50
			VDBrotherSimonREF.cast VDRestoreHealthArea4Expert Player
			set timer to 0
		endif
	endif
endif

endif

end

OK... try putting in some debug messages.

if timer >= 5
	PrintC "Timer has reached 5 seconds, resetting to 0."
	set timer to 0
	if Player.GetAV Health <= 50 || VDBrotherSimonREF.GetAV Health <= 50
		PrintC "Player or NPC health has fallen to 50."
			PrintC "NPC is casting Restoration spell on player."
			VDBrotherSimonREF.cast VDRestoreHealthArea4Expert Player
		endif
	endif
endif

endif

Ok I added the debug messages.

Once Simon starts following the player the message comes up every 5 seconds that timer has reached 5 seconds resetting to 0.

Then when his health got below 50 he just kind of stops and looks at me. The message goes off that his health is below 50 and then the message that he is casting the restoration spell. But he just looks at me every time instead.

Does he have to be out of combat for this to work? As it is now he goes and charges the trolls next to me. As we're fighting the trolls kind of auto-lock on him because monsters tend to hate companions :P. His health gets below 50 and he stops fighting and stares at me until the trolls knock him out... all the while the messages are going off.

I would guess that he's too far to cast the spell at you. The cast function only works properly for NPCs when they are within touching distance of the target.

Try having the NPC cast the spell on itself.

Edited by fg109

I tried standing right next to him, literally pushing him around by walking into him to get him to cast the spell on me and still no dice.

I had the NPC cast a self only spell and that worked... he'll cast spells on himself.

I really don't understand it. You can make things like furniture and other stuff like that cast a targetted spell on you.

Take the ayleid ruin pillar during the Fingers of the Mountain quest. So at first I thought the cast function will only work on self spells (which will only affect the caster) and targetted damage spells.

Then I've seen it done with healing spells on the Healers mod (where the chapel healers will heal you if your health is under a certain percent) and my script is nearly identical to theirs (theirs just had a lot of conditions and extra scripts to check the % of health the player was missing). Although they may have been using some kind of invisible activator or something, I didn't get too far into the bowels of that mod, just looked at their base script for the casting of the spell.

Edited by jamochawoke

From my experience, I would say that you probably cannot have a companion heal you while you are in combat. I would expect that there would have to be no battle going on before the NPC could heal you. I say this from personal experience in working on Raiders of Cyrodiil Update. I tried to make a couple of recruitable companions do what you are trying to get them to do and had very little success. If you are interested, you could play-test that portion of the mod and examine the scripting behind it to see how far I got and how far short I fell.

It would probably be easier to change your design parameters to have your companions heal you at some other good time, other than when battle is raging all around them.

NPCs get seriously distracted when battle is going on. I have seen quest mods get broken because an NPC was supposed to talk and give you a message that would advance the quest, but a battle was going on. So no message, and the quest was ruined. It is the same way with healing or other scripted actions. During battle, it is hard to make an NPC do anything but fight or flee.

Have a look at CDCooley's healing scripts in Companion Vilja. I've used CM Partners in the past, and some of them will heal you or the group when you ask them. With Vilja you make a selection in her options on when to heal you and she does it.

OK what I did to make this work, for an npc to heal other NPC's in his group:

First when I detected the need to heal, I put the NPC into a new package, telling him to approach the healing target. The package is a travel package, and is set to must complete, and defensive combat.

Then I run stopcombat on it as soon as the evp is done.

In effect this makes the NPC stop whatever fighting he is doing, and walk to the heal target, ignoring others that he may want to attack, which makes him forget the spell.

It doenst stop him getting distracted if someone else attacks him, unfortunately.

He then happily walks over to the target and casts the spell, even in the harshest of combat.

I did it as a script on the npc instead of a quest script. This runs much more frequently.

What spell did you use?

I eventually tried just sitting out of combat with less than 50 health and the NPC still refused to cast targetted healing spells. All the debug messages went off and he'd cast a targetted damage spell or a self healing spell on himself but no targetted healing spells in that situation either.

I'll try your way of doing things lgpmichael and tell you if I get any different result. Who knew getting an NPC to heal would be such a pain? lol