Oblivion CTDs with no apparent cause.

Oblivion crashes frequently for me, usually when outside but also occasionally in an interior cell. On good days I might get 5 minutes before the game freezes and crashes to the desktop. I am unable to find what is causing this.

Load Order:

Oblivion.esm

MathFunctions.esm

npc with jobs.esm

Toaster Says Share v3.esm

Better Cities Resources.esm

Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp

UOP Vampire Aging & Face Fix.esp

DecoratorAssistant with OBSE v1.1.esp

Oblivion Citadel Door Fix.esp

Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp

DLCShiveringIsles.esp

Cliff_BetterLetters.esp

BrumaMGRestored.esp

actors_in_charge.esp

CT-YABM.esp

movingpaintings.esp

Slof's Horses Base.esp

Oblivion Script Sound Fix.esp

Slof's Oblivion Robe Trader.esp

Oblivion Collectible Cards.esp

Slof's Extra Horses.esp

Better_Arena_Fights_1.4.esp

Enhanced Grabbing.esp

Better Cities Full.esp

Better Imperial City.esp

Better Cities Full FPS Patch.esp

Better Imperial City FPS Patch.esp

Better Cities - Oblivion Collectible Cards.esp

Better Cities - No LEYAWIIN Flooding.esp

Better Cities - Open Better Cities.esp

Better Cities .esp

Better Bruma Statue.esp

And my specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard

System Model: h8-1075uk

BIOS: Ver: CHG_7 9.rom vCHG7.09

Processor: Intel® Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 8172MB RAM

Page File: 1705MB used, 14637MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Display Memory: 4019 MB

Dedicated Memory: 947 MB

Shared Memory: 3071 MB

Monitor Name: HP 2311 Series Wide LCD Monitor

Monitor Model: HP 2311

Monitor Id: HWP2939

Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)

Output Type: DVI

Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um

Driver File Version: 8.17.0012.6795 (English)

Driver Version: 8.17.12.6795

DDI Version: 11

Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

At first I thought the problem might be caused by my computer not being able to handle Better Cities, but I've uninstalled it multiple times and the game keeps crashing.

Then I thought it was Slofs mods doing it because they're the next newest, but removing them crashes the game too.

It isn't the Bruma statue (although that is buggy) because I used the console to coc myself to the feed bag when using kill my statue and did various other things that meant I never went anywhere near Bruma and the game still crashed, even along Anvil's coast.

Wrye Bash says that any saves made after Better Cities was completely installed are clean.

Oblivion crashes frequently for me, usually when outside but also occasionally in an interior cell. On good days I might get 5 minutes before the game freezes and crashes to the desktop. I am unable to find what is causing this.

Load Order:

Oblivion.esm

MathFunctions.esm

npc with jobs.esm

Toaster Says Share v3.esm

Better Cities Resources.esm

Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp

UOP Vampire Aging & Face Fix.esp

DecoratorAssistant with OBSE v1.1.esp

Oblivion Citadel Door Fix.esp

Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp

DLCShiveringIsles.esp

Cliff_BetterLetters.esp

BrumaMGRestored.esp

actors_in_charge.esp

CT-YABM.esp

movingpaintings.esp

Slof's Horses Base.esp

Oblivion Script Sound Fix.esp

Slof's Oblivion Robe Trader.esp

Oblivion Collectible Cards.esp

Slof's Extra Horses.esp

Better_Arena_Fights_1.4.esp

Enhanced Grabbing.esp

Better Cities Full.esp

Better Imperial City.esp

Better Cities Full FPS Patch.esp

Better Imperial City FPS Patch.esp

Better Cities - Oblivion Collectible Cards.esp

Better Cities - No LEYAWIIN Flooding.esp

Better Cities - Open Better Cities.esp

Better Cities .esp

Better Bruma Statue.esp

And my specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard

System Model: h8-1075uk

BIOS: Ver: CHG_7 9.rom vCHG7.09

Processor: Intel® Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 8172MB RAM

Page File: 1705MB used, 14637MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Display Memory: 4019 MB

Dedicated Memory: 947 MB

Shared Memory: 3071 MB

Monitor Name: HP 2311 Series Wide LCD Monitor

Monitor Model: HP 2311

Monitor Id: HWP2939

Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)

Output Type: DVI

Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um

Driver File Version: 8.17.0012.6795 (English)

Driver Version: 8.17.12.6795

DDI Version: 11

Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

At first I thought the problem might be caused by my computer not being able to handle Better Cities, but I've uninstalled it multiple times and the game keeps crashing.

Then I thought it was Slofs mods doing it because they're the next newest, but removing them crashes the game too.

It isn't the Bruma statue (although that is buggy) because I used the console to coc myself to the feed bag when using kill my statue and did various other things that meant I never went anywhere near Bruma and the game still crashed, even along Anvil's coast.

Wrye Bash says that any saves made after Better Cities was completely installed are clean.

maybe you must deactivated all better cities esp....

better cities make your pc burning or "slow processing" for that weight of the mod and other mod that give so much decreasing of fps whatever strong your pc spec is....or maybe bruma statue,but not giving too much problem...bruma statue bug just inside bruma not the outside of bruma.....hrrrmm just try deactivated all better cities mod?????

maybe you must deactivated all better cities esp....

better cities make your pc burning or "slow processing" for that weight of the mod and other mod that give so much decreasing of fps whatever strong your pc spec is....or maybe bruma statue,but not giving too much problem...bruma statue bug just inside bruma not the outside of bruma.....hrrrmm just try deactivated all better cities mod?????

The Better Cities esps are bundled as 3 Omods, making them easy to activate/deactivate. I have already attempted to run the game as-is minus all Better Cities content several times. It does not solve the problem.

I used to have pretty frequent CTDs myself at one time, a situation that got worse to the intolerable state after I started using CM Partners and had them along for the ride (usually just four at a time). I read some info on how much extra unnecessary stuff the game went through with saves and how quicksaves and autosaves were implicated in save corruption (if I recall correctly I was reading through Wyre's musings). I started using only what you call 'hard saves' (saves from the Esc menu) and only load an autosave if I'm going to lose more progress than I care to lose. It took a while, but eventually my CTDs got so infrequent I've become somewhat complacent about saving regularly (which is why sometimes I need to continue from an autosave). I've also stopped dragging any CM Partners around with me (they just tend to get in the way anyway, in my opinion).

I don't know if it would help you in your situation, but CTDs at a certain spot are often solved by opening the console (the tilde (~) key just below the Esc key on standard keyboards) and then type 'coc center' (without the quote marks) and hit Enter. You'll be transported to an open plain with a few trees visible in the distance. Use the 'wait ' menu for 24 hr three times and then a bit more (72 hrs plus a bit). Open the console and then 'coc weye' (or another location if you know the name the game will recognize). This give all cells a chance to reset without you being nearby and resets NPC AI packages (also without the player nearby).

I'll try that. I used to get four TSS companions together (the traditional fighter/mage/thief/ranger) but then realised that since in my post-MQ save I was infinitely more powerful than any of the NPCs I recruited and was at least two of those classes, I need only recruit two companions. I guess that helped the game a bit. But the fact is they only really help when I'm attacked by random wildlife and bandits. I tell them to stay behind when I go into a quest-hot area cause they'll only get in the way and mess up my badassery.

Yeah, Imperial City Market District, Anvil coast and Bruma all have it in for me. I'll try the open plain thing.