Please don't tell me I have to find evidence against a dead man

MidbossVyers

So I took on the Imperial Corruption quest, but being the freelance assassin that my character is (she "quit" the Dark Brotherhood), after finding the name of the watchman and confirming that he is non-essential, Audens Avidius was sent to Sithis. However, there was no message saying that Audens had died nor a general message that that a quest character had died. No message showed up. Am I supposed to precede normally with the quest and do things as if he's still alive? What?

• 2 weeks later...
Well, technically, you don't need any interactions with Audens in order to complete the quest. You actually have to talk to Itius Hayn. However, upon killing Audens, there is no longer a quest marker pointing to Itius and even if you do find him, there is no Corrupt Watchman topic. So it's not whether or not Audens is alive, but as soon as you kill him something script-related happens. Unfortunately, Bethesda didn't seem to complete that script, and we're stuck with an incomplete quest. I think that the quest should be like Conscience and Corruption, like if you choose to kill Ulrich Leland rather than convict him, but it isn't, apparently.

If you look at the Journal Entries section at the bottom of the UESP Wiki page for Imperial Corruption you'll see that when you killed Audens Avidius you advanced the quest script to stage 119. As far as I know there's no way to turn script stages back without reverting to an earlier save, in your case to one from before you introduced Audens to Sithis.

I'm guessing you killed Audens Avidius before you started this quest by talking to either Luronk gro-Glurzog or Ruslan. All I can suggest is to use the console (the tilde key (~) on standard keyboards, found right below the Esc key opens and closes the console). With the console open do the following (all done without including the quote marks used for emphasis):

1) type 'prid 00026d9e' and hit enter

2) type 'enable' and hit enter

3) type 'resurrect 1' and hit enter (note that that is a number one following the resurrect command)

I would suggest going to another cell outside the Imperial City and wait for 72 hours plus a bit, then return to the IC and see if Audens is following his normal routines. If doing this from the save you have where you have started the quest isn't working you'll need to revert to a save from before you talked to either Luronk or Ruslan and then try the console commands, which I realize may not be possible as you may have first spoken to them about the quest early in your game.

Actually, I killed him immediately after getting his name from Jensine. That would be after starting this quest. My point is that this quest does not seem to have an "important character died" quest finish, even though all relevant characters are never essential. Edited by MidbossVyers