⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Installing Skyrim from the DVD

JimboUK

freaking steams new update doesn't give you the option to delete content who wants to start a class action law suit against steam for pirating, and if that's how scyrims gonna play im returning my disk, getting my money back and pirating the game how you like that steam & bestbullshita! they wanna play games i'll piss on them for messing with my money! what a bunch of jerk off's! there about to lose all there customers im blogging all over the net against this false advertisement! its time for a strike against this company piracy! if any one want in hit me up, lets stop these criminals from hijacking us in court!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

freaking steams new update doesn't give you the option to delete content who wants to start a class action law suit against steam for pirating, and if that's how scyrims gonna play im returning my disk, getting my money back and pirating the game how you like that steam & bestbullshita! they wanna play games i'll piss on them for messing with my money! what a bunch of jerk off's! there about to lose all there customers im blogging all over the net against this false advertisement! its time for a strike against this company piracy! if any one want in hit me up, lets stop these criminals from hijacking us in court!

wait wut? O_o

When I tried to install the game I thought I was having the same problems as the people here, but it was just installing and updating a Steam account on my computer (since I don't have one). This took several minutes. I guess I should have been more patient. Now it just says "installing from disk" (only after I had to register a steam account).

• 3 months later...

I did all the steps as instructed but instead of installing from the disc it just opens Steam and makes me download...again. Grrr....

I have Legendary Edition and Windows 8, not sure if that matters

The DVD only contains the 'base files.' You still need to download the Steam client if you don't have it installed already, register and activate the game, and download the patches. The DVD version of Skyrim does not circumvent having to install Steam and download the patches, but it significantly reduces the files you need to download since the base game files will be installed from the DVD.

Edited by ripple

I bought Skyrim for the XB360 the day it was released, and downloaded/bought each DLC the day it was released. I also bought it for PC on disc (and didn't activate a Steam account). I lost a lot in a house fire a while back (including my desktop and games) and got another copy of Skyrim on disc.

Now I can't do anything with Steam at all without those jackwagons expecting me to actually BUY the game yet AGAIN! This is worse than piracy, it's corporate highway robbery in broad daylight. :mad:

It's a shame. I've supported Bethesda for years by buying ALL their games, generally on their release dates. And even buying them for more than one platform in most cases. I won't be doing that anymore unless they break their ties with Steam. Steam can lick my sweaty balls and eat dog feces for all I care. :ohmy:

If you have a legitimate legal DVD then it will ask you to register the game the first time you run it. The entire game is NOT on that legal DVD and you need to download quite a bit from Steam. - In fact, it will probably download the entire game anyway to be sure you have all of it. From that point on, your game can be recovered from steam without the use of the DVD.

You no longer OWN games, you buy a license to play them - typically on one device only. Beth has made Steam their exclusive ( for most of the world) agent for that license. If you bought the game through steam in the first place, it is automatically registered to your Steam account - and can not be lost. (unless you do something really dumb and get banned from steam)

If you bought one of the bogus DVDs or a DVD copy that was already registered as many that are sold cheap on sites like ebay - then they have no way of knowing that you paid at all. How are they supposed to know that you bought a DVD and then neglected to register it? Do you really expect them to just believe you with all the pirated versions floating around?

• 1 month later...

Now on the 6th attempt, it froze on 1238/8827MB last time, and on about 1018 the time before, so each time i do this its slowly increasing the amount, maybe after about a 1000 trys I may finally be able to play,

Now on 1337, it appears to have froze apart from the time remaining steadily increasing!!!

grrr