Your #1 dislike about Oblivion?

onson

the pathetic combat, and total lack of unique weapons (UBER DEATH SWORD OF DOOM= Elven shortsword with a red glow) and soul jems and the fact they run out in a few minutes.

Ruins all the good items for me.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The quest design was atrocious. The only choices you were given were in what order you did the quests, whether you wanted to start a quest now or wait, and whether you could ask an npc to start or stop following you. Add to that the childcare level handholding that would result in a massive quest update box filling your screen with such helpful gems as "you are at the cave. You should go inside" followed by "you have entered the cave. You should place the staff on the alter" and "you picked up the book. It says to go here". Wouldn't it be like totally revolutionary for you to be able to open the book and read it yourself to find out where to go.

Luckily skyrim looks like it might be some way towards addressing this. The quest pop ups appear to be similar to fallout 3, ie a short single line that appears and disappears from the side of the screen. Some previews have mentioned some choices and consequences, such as the letter deliverer, although I suspect the main quest and guild quests will still be completely railroaded with no choice and no interaction between the different quest lines, meaning that the mages guild won't care that Alduin is returning and therefore focus entirely on their own problems. Still the side quests using radiant story should hopefully alleviate this to some degree.

Mine was the stuttering. No matter what I did I always had that draw distance stutter issue.

If Skyrim was just Oblivion with a better engine I would still be thrilled.

This! plus after an hour or two of playing oblivion, you had heard all the voice actors in this huge world.. became quite mediocre.

Quick travel, quest markers, and the items. I miss the feeling I had when I got a daedric suit in morrowind, knowing that after the expansions there are only 2 in the game. I also disliked the total lack of character in the different regions

Shivering isles was a very good expansion though and made up for the flaws of the first game. From what I see skyrim will be more morrowind and fallout than oblivion and fallout so I am happy.