Official Recognized Specifications & Unofficial Video Chipsets Spe

Stormcrown

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An interesting list.

I notice the Radeon HD4850 1GB in the Medium/High category. There is also another model of the same card which uses GDDR5 (discontinued as far as i know) as opposed to the standard GDDR3 version, i have the 1GB GDDR5 model and i can confirm that it runs the game in High/Very High settings.

Wukong:

hi,

I need some help and advice for what I should upgrade on my pc for running this game on Medium/high settings.

I've just received the game yesterday and installed it, unfortunately my computer even with settings on very low and some tweaks in .ini file doesn't allow me to play it smoothly. I started the game and just stopped playing after 10min because it's really too bad ...

Here's my computer at the moment:

Pentium Dual Core E5200 @ 2.5GHz x2

RAM 2GB

Nvidia Geforce G210

It should meet the minimum requirements but not the recommended though, however it's nearly unplayable.

As I don't have the money to buy a new pc right now, I wish someone could give me some precious advice on what cheap options I have to upgrade my pc and at last could play ( I don't expect to play on very high or ultra / just at least on medium or high )

Upgrade the card or just the RAM or both ?

Thanks a lot!

You can go to Games Debate.com to look for Skyrim. They have a version of "Can You Run It" systems requirements program that will help you.

The minimum requirements can be found in the first postings of this thread. Based on that you have enough RAM to "just" run the game...and anything else on your computer. Your E5200 processor will do fine But I would suggest replacing your GT 210 workstation card with a GT 240 or GT 440 if you don't intend upgrading your PSU right now. Both only require a minimum 300w PSU support...which your Dell came with.

For better video card options, you would have to upgrade your PSU to a 500w or better. Corsair, Antec Earthwatts, OCZ or Seasonic are good brands.

I have a

Dell Inspiron 530 Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2ghz

WinXP SP 3

3 GIGS RAM

nVidia Geforce 8300 GS

And according to GamesDebate.com, it is sufficient. (on a scale of 1 to 10, my processor is rated a "4" haha) Only need to upgrade my video card.

The computer is used mostly for a family business but I also do some "more than casual" gaming. I play Oblivion GOTY and my card is auto detected for Medium settings. After a bit of tweaking and using some mods, Oblivion is played on Medium-High with my "workstation" OEM video card. Skyrim can't be played with it.

I recently upgraded my power supply to an Antec Earthwatts Green 500Dw and looking at getting an EVGA GTS 450 or a GTX 550 Ti.

A 550w or 650w PSU would open up my video card options more, I know. but can't afford anything better at the moment. After reading several up grade video card questions in the Dell Forums, found the Antec can support these cards. Even a GTX 460 is possible....but I understand it's more power hungry.

So..in a nutshell:

Add another Gig of RAM....at least.

NVidia GeForce GT 440 card (if you want to stick with your Dell OEM 300w PSU)

Better still, upgrade your PSU First.....and don't go cheap if you can help it.

Good luck and have fun slaying Dragons when not stormin' castles.

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I read something about Skyrim actually running faster than Oblivion. I wouldn't be surprised, as I've plenty of titles (Mass Effect series, UT3, Left 4 Dead, Dead Space) that both look and run better than Oblivion/FO3. So what's everyone's experience so far? I'd especially like to hear from folks who've played both games on the same machine, and anyone with hardware similar to what's listed in my sig. Edited by DJZephyr

DjZephyr, Skyrim does indeed run faster than Oblivion. I played both games within days of each other on the same machine and the loading times on Skyrim are for me half of the time from Oblivion. But Oblivion is less buggy right now so the graphics do on occasion slow down on Skyrim whereas Oblivion never experiences any slow down, but Oblivion is old and fully patched (including unofficial patch).

So yea, once Skyrim's graphical issues are resolved it will without question be faster than Oblivion and presumably also faster than FO3.

I have an Intel 2600K, 16GB RAM, Geforce GTX 560 Ti, 240GB SSD ans Skyrim plays like crap. When I installed it, the game automatically set itself for 'Ultra" settings. The game isn't at all smooth. The graphics are beautiful, but it plays so jerky. I added the RAM fix and set it to use up to 8GB of memory and the problem persists. I tried dropping the settings to high instead, but it's not that easy. Is there an easy way to change the settings to High, or is there a video card patch I'm not aware of?

I have an Intel 2600K, 16GB RAM, Geforce GTX 560 Ti, 240GB SSD ans Skyrim plays like crap. When I installed it, the game automatically set itself for 'Ultra" settings. The game isn't at all smooth. The graphics are beautiful, but it plays so jerky. I added the RAM fix and set it to use up to 8GB of memory and the problem persists. I tried dropping the settings to high instead, but it's not that easy. Is there an easy way to change the settings to High, or is there a video card patch I'm not aware of?

i have almost the same high end specs except for a new ASUS GTX570 ... i use the ram fix and am still having problems ... will have to wait for the official fixes i believe ...

Guess I can put this under this thread, which of the Very High/Extremely High should I get to play Skyrim, only problem lies with my Video Card. At the moment my pc for Min/Max is:

CPU:AMD Athlon II X4 645 Processor

CPU Speed:3.1 GHz

RAM:4.5 GB

OS:Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit

Video Card: GeForce 6150SE nForce 430**

Video RAM 1.9 GB

Pixel Shader version 3.0

Vertex Shader version 3.0

Sound Card:Realtek High Definition Audio

Free Disk Space:799.7 GB

Edited by hangyaku

my specs are

asrock 990fx extreme 3

amd phenom x2 @3.8ghz

2gb cheap ram

and radeon 5570 1gb

playing on all high stting with AA off antisotropic filter on 8xf and fxaa on

games runs great with 60 fps with bitdefender running and firefox :) alltogether my system seens to only use 1.72 gb off ram with everything running :)