Official Recognized Specifications & Unofficial Video Chipsets Spe

Stormcrown

How well do you think this machine could run Skyrim?

Nvidia Geforce GT545 with 3GB of VRAM

16GB DDR3 RAM

Intel Core I7 2600 3.4GHZ

IDT onboard sound card

Hope your kidding...

That system would run skyrim on ultra+tweaked+texture packs

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How well do you think this machine could run Skyrim?

Nvidia Geforce GT545 with 3GB of VRAM

16GB DDR3 RAM

Intel Core I7 2600 3.4GHZ

IDT onboard sound card

Hope your kidding...

That system would run skyrim on ultra+tweaked+texture packs

thanks, the launcher said that but I was not sure (graphics card).

FWIW -

I have a Dell Inspiron 620 i3-2100 with 4GB RAM, paired with a Sapphire Radeon HD5670 1GB DDR5 graphics card. Both are brand new, there is almost no other software loaded on the computer other than the bloatware. I let Skyrim auto-detect my graphic settings, and it came up with Ultra High Quality. I smiled, especially after reading this thread that said the card should only be capable of Medium to High settings. I am playing it via HDMI connected to my 47" Vizio HDTV at 1900 x 1200 resolution. Bought the PC from the Dell Outlet (refurb), total cost of PC and card was right around $400.

I'm not a big gamer and I don't go around measuring frame rates, but I will say that the game plays incredibly smoothly. There has been the rare occasion when I am just running around outside (nothing special about the scenery that I notice) and the motion "stutters" about every fourth step for no apparent reason, and then it lasts only a short time. Most of the time though, my wife literally runs everywhere in the game and the motion is seamless and smooth. I haven't installed any mods (yet).

I'm curious though...what do y'all use to measure framerates while playing the game? Is there another program that you run in the background, or is there something built in the Skyrim console that you can turn on and off? This thread has me curious what frame rates I am actually seeing.

EDIT: I have since "discovered" FRAPS and ran it yesterday. I haven't looked at the results file for avg/min/max framerates. I will say that most of the game seemed to run around the 25 fps mark, and it rarely dipped below 16-17 fps. Even when it was only 16 fps, everything looked smooth and fine to me. It was strange too....I saw the low marks in dungeons when I wasn't even moving (nor was anything else). FPS hit for certain lighting effects, maybe? At any rate, I'm sure others will pooh-pooh these framerates and maybe things would slow to a crawl with a lot of the mods out there. I'll just have to see what is worth having, what the FPS hit is, and what I can tweak to bring things up (if necessary). At any rate, my experience says you don't have to have a killer system to play Skyrim with the settings maxed out (or nearly so) and enjoy a beautiful gaming experience.

Edited by purplepat

• 4 weeks later...
I have a Radeon HD 6770 1 GB graphics card and can run this game at 40-60 fps on high settings and 1080p with no AA. Recently, I noticed a slight bump in fps performance with the latest AMD Catalyst 12.1 driver. Can this game be installed on 64-bit to maximize RAM usage and further improve video performance, even on ultra high settings? Will the next official patch also increase performance?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Radeon HD 6770 1 GB graphics card and can run this game at 40-60 fps on high settings and 1080p with no AA. Recently, I noticed a slight bump in fps performance with the latest AMD Catalyst 12.1 driver. Can this game be installed on 64-bit to maximize RAM usage and further improve video performance, even on ultra high settings? Will the next official patch also increase performance?

One of the recent patches enabled up to 4GB of RAM usage, which is all you will get from a single application. The only programs that utilize more than 4GB are 3D rendering/animation software and some other specific stuff.

A few of the recent patches made a lot of optimizations in the game, combined with some optimizations with the new AMD drivers.

People won't start making huge *bug fixes* while bethesda is still releasing patches. Overall, if you are getting 40-60 FPS you shouldn't be worried about FPS. Turn off your FPS counters and enjoy the game.

Never keep your FPS counters on like FRAPS. You won't notice most of the FPS drops that those things tell you. Enjoy the game guys

I just got a new computer with these specs:

i7-2600 quad-core 3.8 ghz

8 gb ddr3 ram

2gb ddr3 AMD Radeon HD 7570

The game automatically set the graphics to ultra but as soon as I started playing the framerate was horrendously low. My system should be able to run the game without a drop in FPS, but are my specs not high enough for ultra? I messed around with a lot of settings and could not get the FPS to improve until either the graphics were at low or I changed the resolution of my tv to 720. Any suggestions for getting the game to run and look good?

• 4 weeks later...

I run an older rig but my baby still rock solid and kick'n butt.

MB: Asus POG Rampage II Extreme, X58 Express

CPU: Intel i7 920 D0 @ 4.2GHz, 1.22v

RAM: Corsair Dominator GT CMG6GX3M3A2000C8 (6 x 2GB)

GPU: XFX ATI Radeon HD 6990, 4GB, DDR5

Optical Drive: Pioneer BDC-2202B Blu-Ray

HD Primary: Western Digital VelciRaptor 600GB 10000 RPM

HD Storage: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB (x4)

PSU: PC Power & Cooling, SILENCER 910

Monitors: Samsung 245T 24" (x3), Samsung LN46B650 46" HD LCD HDTV

Driver Data:

Mobo: Full Update ASUS ROG Drivers

GPU: Catalyst 12.1 / Catalyst Profile 12.2 CAP 1

Game Data:

HaYDeN's Eyefinity/Surround App Fix v0.91 (NOTE: The app is a WIP and this latest fix works with Skyrim v1.3.10.0. Waiting for his next update.)

Skyrim v1.3.10.0 (NOTE: This is due to the Widescreen Fix app limitation.)

Nexus Mod Manager v0.14.2 (NOTE: My Skyrim game is heavily modded with almost everything to make the game look beautiful and I'm still trying other mods.)

My Skyrim Options Settings

Antialiasing:

8 Samples - 1920x1200 Single Screen

Off (best performance) - 5760x1200 Triple Screen Eyefinity (NOTE: I'm still testing some settings but oddly enough I don't see much of a change graphically from Off or with any Samples selected.)

Anisotropic Filtering: NOTE: For me this is the biggest performance hit of all the settings

8 Samples - 1920x1200 Single Screen

Off (best performance) - 5760x1200 Triple Screen Eyefinity (NOTE: Same notation as Antialiasing setting but come with a hefty performance hit.)

Advanced Details

Texture Quality: High

Radial Blur Quality: High

Shadow Detail: Ultra

Decal Quantity: Ultra

FXAA: Checked

Reflect Land: Checked

Reflect Trees: Checked

Reflect Objects: Checked

Reflect Sky: Checked

View Distance

Object Fade: 15

Actor Fade: 15

Grass Fade: 7

Specularity Fade: 20

Light Fade: 35

Item Fade: 15

Distant Object Detail: Ultra

Object Detail Fade: Checked

If their is any setting you guys think I need to adjust PLEASE let me know I'm learning.

45-100+ fps. avg. 60 fps - 1920x1200 (I have actually seen Fraps hit over 300+ fps in some in-game spots, very cool)

20- 80+ fps. avg. 35-45 fps - 5760x1200 (funny even when I dip to 20 fps I have not experienced too much choppiness it seems to feel very smooth)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/djs61/Skyrim/TESV2012-03-0601-35-24-17.jpg

Sorry for all the info but I feel that it is necessary to add my hardware data info for playing The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and how it may effect your hardware and gameplay. I hope this helps.

If you would like any info on the FIX tool to engage widescreen let me know.

I would just like to add a big Thanks to Bethesda Softworks for the game but Nexus and all the Modders out there for all their hard work in making this game even more of an adventure...thank you.

Edited by ShadowSky

@ryan54742, To start out install the game and try it out at low settings, if that's a no go up your ram to at least 4gb or higher and (if you can afford) a NEWER mid-range GPU. Make sure if you decide to upgrade your GPU that your PSU can handle the new load if not time for a new PSU them.

Just install it you might be surprised. Good luck bro.

@EhrenOsterman,

What res do you normally play your games at?

Do you have any other issues playing other game on your system?

Is your game heavily modded or still a virgin?

I assume you updated the latest drivers for your GPU and everything else that matters. Just trying to get the bigger picture here my friend. It looks like your specs should have no problems with the game so their may be something else you need to check...hence all the question.

Hear from you soon.

SS

Edited by ShadowSky