Dual Wielding Speed

fisban0

Q: What makes dual wielding 2 swords without blocking viable in the game since 2 handed swords can block? Any advantages?

A: You get to power attack with either weapon AND the ability to do a combined power attack using both weapons at once.

There ya go. Unless you're going for Death of a Thousand Cuts, this is more than sufficient to murder the hell out of any enemy you'll find in-game.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q: What makes dual wielding 2 swords without blocking viable in the game since 2 handed swords can block? Any advantages?

A: You get to power attack with either weapon AND the ability to do a combined power attack using both weapons at once.

There ya go. Unless you're going for Death of a Thousand Cuts, this is more than sufficient to murder the hell out of any enemy you'll find in-game.

Assuming that what nate said about the attack speed is true there are a few possible advantages.

1. Assuming that the dps is the same, dual wielding would allow you to provide more consistent damage instead of short bursts. This would be great if the person you fighting can move quickly or stagger you because missing one attack would decrease your damage output more with a 2H.

2. The main advantage would be having 2 enchants(and 2 poisons) hitting an enemy while the 2H only hits with one enchant(and one poison). This leaves dual wielding looking much more powerful at high levels.

3. Sneak attack damage multipliers are only applied to 1Hs if I'm not mistaken. 15x for daggers (perk) 6x for any other 1H(perk).

Of course the added benifits of using 2H are also very important in different situations. Being able to block and bash (for the stagger) would be really good in different situations. Perticularly against another warrior. :biggrin:

Just confirming for ya, as far as I've seen(part of the 1-h tree)-

Dual Wielding Perks:
Dual Flurry (0-2 points possible)-
   Req Skill Level-30
      Dual Wielding attacks are 20% faster

Dual Savagery (1 point possible)-
  Req Skill Level-70
     Dual Wielding power attacks do 50% more damage

Those combined with the fact that you can enchant both blades makes it a viable build option. Nate pretty much answered the guy on the first page. Balance is up for debate, but I'm not going to. I'm satisfied with what I've seen.

Just confirming for ya, as far as I've seen(part of the 1-h tree)-

Dual Wielding Perks:
Dual Flurry (0-2 points possible)-
   Req Skill Level-30
      Dual Wielding attacks are 20% faster

Dual Savagery (1 point possible)-
  Req Skill Level-70
     Dual Wielding power attacks do 50% more damage

Those combined with the fact that you can enchant both blades makes it a viable build option. Nate pretty much answered the guy on the first page. Balance is up for debate, but I'm not going to. I'm satisfied with what I've seen.

Thank you! That's all I wanted to know. Question asked and answered. :smile:

my 2 cents...

blocking with a shield probably reflects more damage than blocking with a sword, axe or mace, and if using 2 weapons actually inflicts more damage this would seem to even the scales. Depending on the reflect/inflict ratio, weapon and armor degeneration could balance the scales even more, but sadly we don't have that feature... yet... modders :thumbsup:

Regardless, I may just ignore this feature if it's possible and stick to the old shield and sword.

I would like to know if we'll be able to cast spells while having both hands occupied like in oblivion, even though from the all screens and videos i've seen it's not looking like it.

Edited by Nebrule

1-Hander + Shield is going to be the most defensive style with reaction and utility.

2-Hander will be offensive but still have the ability to block and crowd control (cleave).

Dual-Wield will be the most aggressive style with the highest damage output but no active defenses.

Sounds more like variety then imbalance...