Building a new rig

this is the mobo im considering for my build:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131729

yes 8gb ram is plenty. anything more is overkill, but RAM is cheap so it doesnt matter.

a 580 might not out perfoorm 560s in SLI, but it will run cooler and use less energy and still be giving more then needed performance

and yea, the PSU is the one area u dont wanna skimp on.

Letter between j and l not woring on my eyboard, sorry

When buying ram, mae sure it is for intel, and mae sure you get lo pro w/o heat sync. Your CPU cooler (aftermaret necessary) will collide with ram that has big fancy vents on it.

As for the cpu, lie i said the ivybridges come out in a few months and they will dominate even the 2600, so if youre looing to stay at the top just mae sure you eep the 1155 socet because that is what the ivybridge will use.

The i5-2500 is more than you will need for gameing. Here is a chart comparing the 15-2500 to the i7-2600. Loo how small the diference is: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/287?vs=288

Syrim and battlefield are both cpu heavy games, the gpu does not play a big factor in the games functionality. For example, they put 30 gpu's to the test on battlefield 3 and they were seeing a max of 5 frames per second diff here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graphics-performance,3063.html

Like on average a 5% difference. So why would the 2600K be 100$ more? Could I still overclock the hell out of the 2500K if I felt so inclinced

Since finding out I can still OC whithout fearing of losing my manufacturers a mobo that support overclocking is more important however I guess I still don't need to buy a 360$ mobo.

1155 Socket it is, What about mobos that have a p67 chipset?

How important is to have a ton of VRAM on a card? I was wanting to have atleast 2GB worth but then I thought are there really any games that would require such an amount

Like on average a 5% difference. So why would the 2600K be 100$ more? Could I still overclock the hell out of the 2500K if I felt so inclinced

Since finding out I can still OC whithout fearing of losing my manufacturers a mobo that support overclocking is more important however I guess I still don't need to buy a 360$ mobo.

1155 Socket it is, What about mobos that have a p67 chipset?

How important is to have a ton of VRAM on a card? I was wanting to have atleast 2GB worth but then I thought are there really any games that would require such an amount

That is one of the few motherboards that will let you run pci-e to the max without any bottlenec because of that nf200 pci-e chipset. IF down the road you want to run 3 way sli or quad crossfire at 16x16x16x16, only that nf200 will accomidate it without bottlenec.

As far as the gpu ram, the important thing is the stream processors and the frequency, not the ram.

After seeing this I feel somewhat pushed to the GTX 580s (or the 570), Ill probably in all likelihood stay around 1920x1080 most of the time, as its usually a good balance between great detail and good fps. I thought it was surprising how irrelevant cpu speed had on the game however In multiplayer I would imagine that is where a fast cpu would truly matter.

I don't think I EVER plan on having more than 2 graphics card in my mobo. What do you mean by 16x16x16x16? I would possibly just do dual sli or crossfire but id leave it that and it wouldnt be till much later. But thank you you just save me around 150$ or so.

Edited by Gravatrax

IF you'll notice that on most of the mobo's we've cited, the pci-e will operate ag x16 with a single card. If you try to go dual cards it goes to an x8x8 bandwith. That is because of the pci-e chipset. The nf200 pci-e on that maximus rog is rare and expensive and allows for multiple cards at full bandwith for each card.

Well I certainly dont need to run 4 cards simultaneously, however in the future running 2 card at their fullest would be more ideal than running 2 at half their bandwidth

dont all pci (not expansion) slots run at x16? im pretty sure that an SLI certified mobo with 2 pci slots will run the at x16. looking for a mobo with 2 pci-e slots that both run at x16 is going to cost you some $$ (like the mobo you had picked out originally)

the reason the i5-2600k is so much more expensive is because it is a little bit more powerful, but mostly because of the hyper threading.