Real fishing

Zymes

This is my first Elder Scrolls game. I loved Fallout 3 which got me into Bethesda games. After watching all the trailers and gameplay videos for Skyrim I am completely hooked.

However, enough about that. I have two mod requests I would like to see in the game that caters to the "hunter" or "wilderness" type of gamers.

The obvious being the ability to setup a camp, with a tent (which has been requested before). Maybe if you can chop down wood nearby to make a fireplace etc. And a tent that was crafted earlier with some materials.

The second is fishing in the style of Zelda games. I don't know yet how many types of fish there are in the game to begin with, but they said you could only hand fish which is a bit boring.

What I would like to see is a multitude of different fish with their different bonuses when being raw, cooked etc. Rare fish and so on. Fish on different locations throughout the world, some fish may only swim in certain conditions etc.

You could also have different types of rods, where the basic rod is crafted by yourself using some tree branches and string, maybe you can get a better rod from a quest via NPCs who wants some special kind of fish you have to find?

Different kind of baits, all the way from worms (which you may have to dig in the ground) to lures and stuff like that.

You could make this mod really involved and endless if someone has the passion for it. However I can't mod myself and hopefully someone else will pick up on this.

What do you think?

Good idea. I don't have the passion for fishing in real life, but it's a fun subgame in many japanese action RPGs a la Zelda. I think mods in the "daily life" category contribute the most to immersion.

Great Idea!!! Zymes... I was thinking also,, You mentioned different Poles... I like that.. Adding to your idea

Maybe Normal / Hi Strength / and SUPER Strength Fishing Line

And after a certain level, Your allowed to BUY/ Use a Rowboat to get to the center of a big lake for better fish...

Would LOVE to see some really good mechanics instead of the standard, Click now to catch a fish... Aim it, Right Thumbstick Forward Then Back determines distance. Left Trigger to reel in. Right trigger to set hook... You know

I've always loved fishing ingames whether it's a minigame or done differently. When I was much younger I even played Runescape :facepalm: but all I did was fish and mine. I also fished in pokemon, zelda, nearly any game that had fishing.

I had an idea a while ago to make a mod where the player has the ability to build a business (from mining to courier to treecutting). Opening a fishing dock is included in the idea, but I doubt I'd be able to make the fishing look like ifshing with a rod/reel. I've read a preview a long time ago that said the player snatched a fish out of the water with his hands (no animation, just like picking a flower) and the fish was added to the inventory. So the fishing dock business would probably consist of hiring Argonians to get the fish (I doubt they'd realistically need rods). Buying boats (probably static rowboats) just increases the amount of fish each argonian brings back to the dock.

Nice idea, i am thinking of perhaps adding fly-fishing (check up videos on youtube if you dont know what it is), where you could, collect fur and feathers from beasts and critters, and forge hooks, possibly collect silk from butterflies, and making your own thread. And then tying your own flies, and go fly fishing for salmon or sea trout :), also implenting the animation of flyfishing to the game.

ps. i have no clue about making mods, but aside from playing games, my bigget hoby is fishing, so if any one would like to make a fishing mod, i'd gladly assist on the factual side :)

Implementing the animations of fly-fishing will be quite a feat, it's not something you'll be able to pick up in a few days. Collecting silk, forging hooks would be easy. Even crafting rods wouldn't be difficult.

Sorry to burst your bubble but animations are very rare to see. Who knows tho, there are a lot of NPC animations for Skyrim from the early clips so maybe animation is done a bit differently.

Hand fishing...wtf?

Even minecraft (16 bit game) has fishing....and ya, it is a nice change of pace.

Some caveats should be in order...fishing certain areas (say, near a village) produces less chance of fish...especially "good" fish than going out in the middle of god knows where terrorvale and fishing for the big boss of the lake...

Different areas should have a greater chance of fish...like, colder areas for salmon, slightly warmer areas spawn trout, etc..

I think a good modder with a passion for fishing should really think things through...no, I don't think a dinky little stream should net me a 200lb grouper...but that might be difficult coding (or not)...depends if it can tell depth, width, etc..

Your right Paladinrider, i just saw a clip, on how they make animations, wearing that funny suit. Perhaps czech nymphing would work, basicly you just drop the fly into the water, and let the current bear it to the fish, no casting involved ;). It will be nice to see which mods the future shall bring.

SaturnFX, I guees there will be loads of places where you could add fish, but i also think that there probably isn't many modders with passion for fishing.

Perhaps i should take initiative and learn how to mod hehe :)

• 2 years later...

If you want to simplify the fly fishing cast, imagine that you are using a cheap cane pole to fish.

With normal fishing you are casting a weight attached to the line, were as with fly fishing your weight is the line. When you are casting for freshwater fish, you'll be casting <30 feet while if your, salt water fishing you will be casting >30 feet (my numbers are rough please forgive me). You'll be doing the casting motion at least twice for freshwater fishing. There is an iphone app you may want to take a look at for fly casting, its a couple of bucks but its interesting.

I think this is a good idea for a mod. I also play games like zelda and pokemon where fishing gives the player a break from the main focus of the game. There is a mod on the Nexus called Handyman that has a weildable fishing rod that could be used for this mod (with permission from the author of course).