Skyrim Armor Dyes

droscoe2

See, the new textures for the basic armor look nice, certainly, and I love the idea of this mod, but the colors are too vibrant and saturated for Skyrim I think.

Not everything is grey, but everything in the game is a bit muted, and while the sharper contrast does look better it just feels to me like it clashes with the overall look of the game.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree.

The colors I'll choose will be less saturated, earthy, more realistic colors. Don't expect bright neon green and ultra pink.

I suppose I should have made it more clear as to my intent with this mod, regarding colors. I will update my OP now.

I'll use a grand total of 22 colors: Oiled, White, Grey, Black, Red, Yellow, Blue, Green, Orange, Purple. The primary and secondary colors will have 3 variations.

Primary/Secondary - Less saturated

Primary/Secondary - Less saturated, darker

Primary/Secondary - Default saturation, darker (These will be the Artisan Dyes)

and of course, the neutrals...

The pictures you see are just examples, just to get people's heads thinking for any suggestions. Colors will change because I agree with you as well.

Take care

Edited by droscoe2

I agree.

The colors I'll choose will be less saturated, earthy, more realistic colors. Don't expect bright neon green and ultra pink.

I suppose I should have made it more clear as to my intent with this mod, regarding colors. I will update my OP now.

I'll use a grand total of 22 colors: Oiled, White, Grey, Black, Red, Yellow, Blue, Green, Orange, Purple. The primary and secondary colors will have 3 variations.

Primary/Secondary - Less saturated

Primary/Secondary - Less saturated, darker

Primary/Secondary - Default saturation, darker (These will be the Artisan Dyes)

and of course, the neutrals...

The pictures you see are just examples, just to get people's heads thinking for any suggestions. Colors will change because I agree with you as well.

Take care

Oh! Alright, I didn't see that somehow and when I looked at the screenshots, well, those are REALLY vibrant. Good to hear you're already taking care of that though!

I'll keep an eye out on this one. It's weird how the thieves guild folks all have different colored armor, but you're stuck with brown yourself, and if you ever upgrade to Scaled or something you're no longer all that stealthy... This could really help with that.

This looks brilliant, and I love that you’re putting in bright, less bright and dark versions of each color instead of a myriad of random colors. However, I have a question: when choosing a color in game to dye with, is there any way to preview it before hand, or plain old guess-and-check? Preview might be too complicated and not worth it as far as time spent and size of the file go, but you’d use up a lot of potions trying to find the one you want with guess-and-check. I’m not advocating either way, I’m just curious as to what you have planned.

This looks brilliant, and I love that you’re putting in bright, less bright and dark versions of each color instead of a myriad of random colors. However, I have a question: when choosing a color in game to dye with, is there any way to preview it before hand, or plain old guess-and-check? Preview might be too complicated and not worth it as far as time spent and size of the file go, but you’d use up a lot of potions trying to find the one you want with guess-and-check. I’m not advocating either way, I’m just curious as to what you have planned.

IMO this would be too much work to implement than its worth.

i think this would be fantastic bro! I love trying out new color combos and I think this would be super cool. I'd definitly endorse and help in any way I can. I am not extremely familiar with the other CS's but i did some companion mods.

There's always saving and reloading.

I'm not surprised, just wanted to know your thoughts. Thanks. :]

For the record, I would love to have the ability to preview the outcome before confirming your color, but as Paladin said, it might be a bit too much work, complicated, etc. PaladinRider has kind of kept me on track I feel like. The main priority is to get the recolored textures in (working). Then I'll move on to ingredients/scripting.

After all that, maybe down the road, there will be an 'update' for the ability to preview color choices. For now, I don't have that in my view of plans. I do LOVE that idea.

---

I do feel like it would be difficult to get the right color you want, not knowing the outcome of each color version and all. From the beginning, I had hoped to implement the possibility of previewing the outcome, but regrettably, and honestly, this is above me and my knowledge.

For 'previewing', I've though of a few ways to accomplish this. please give your input, this mod is built around/guided by the community:

1. Create a Guide of some sort. Include it with the mod for people to view digitally or print out. It will include images of various armors with all possible colors.

2. The NPC, or Artisan, at the shop, will have a room designated for showcasing his work. The room will have several mannequins, each wearing armor, and will showcase the Artisan's work. You can stroll through and view each color possibility on the armored mannequins. I think the armor will provide no protection, as to not entice people to steal them. I suppose it would be a bit like strolling through an art exhibit. Which might be fun just to do anyway for the heck of it.

3. Of course, the 'preview window' concept. Would this really be difficult? It would just replace the armor in the preview window with the new, recolored armor tex..?

4. Just rely on screenshots in SkyrimNexus upload site....

5. This is my most interesting idea yet...have paintings hung up in the Artisan's shop. These painting will actually be of armor and the possible color choices. (screenshots)

EDIT: There will be the ability to remove dye via a 'dye remover' bottle of some sort, or done by the Artisan.

Edited by droscoe2

• 2 weeks later...