Thoughts on Fallout 4's DLC ending in August?

Deleted4363562User

I've been thinking about this a lot after my initial post. Honestly, I don't like to admit it, but I'm only getting more bitter about the whole thing.

Look on the bright side: Nuka-Cola World might actually be pretty good. The premise is certainly great, a theme park turned raider encampment with possibly the surrounding region to explore and inevitably build settlements on. The Devs would have to try pretty hard to screw this up after such a good showing in Far Harbor. While dreary, and with a ridiculous minecraft brain game, Far Harbor was otherwise everything I would want in a DLC of medium size. If Nuka-Cola World improves upon it then we are in for one heck of a ride.

I'm actually a bit disappointed too. I would think that they could put together a mods team and milk it for a long time with cool expansions, merchandising (Nuka Cola World T-Shirts and the whole bit) and a lot of us would eat it up. I was also hoping that they'd take the great reception of Far Harbor and revamp some of the core game to allow different outcomes based on your decisions -or- open up other factions like becoming a raider or working with the gunners as a merc, etc.

I'm actually somewhat excited for the Skyrim remaster. 64-bit and dx 11 should allow it to peform better and reduce some of the graphical issues when the game loads too many hires textures (especially on Windows 10 where it feels crippled). Maybe even Papyrus will be handled better (I know, wishful thinking - could as easily be a disaster). One thing Fallout 4 has been (for me) is rock stable compared to Skyrim. Yes, we'll need a new version of SKSE but I'm sure that will get handled. Unlike Fallout 4, I still find Skyrim much more replayable, probably because the side quests are more depthful, making the main quest feel like it's less central.

Edited by Netherworks

I might be a bit less disappointed if Nuka World turns out as good as Far Harbour. Admittedly, all previous Fallout expansions are slowly being pushed to the back of my head after not having played them for so long, but Far Harbour is definitely a contender for the best Bethesda expansion I've ever played. It had the awesome mysterious vibe of Point Lookout, it had the grey morality that The Pitt promised but failed to deliver on and difficult choices that actually made a difference, it had tie-ins with the vanilla game, the exploration was great due to the beautiful environment, the many easter eggs and hidden secrets and even some interesting unmarked quests that didn't hold your hand with quest target cursors like Bethesda games sadly tend to do. And we got some fun weapons and nice thematic armour too. The Striker is just awesome.

I'm quite disappointed with this. I had sort of convinced myself that there were going to be 4 story dlcs, figuring the far harbor magazines (and its asccociated achievement) fill a quarter of a magazine rack, so we'd have 4 to fill it. Like the DLC snow-globes in new Vegas filling the extra shelf. Guess I read far too much into that.

I have enjoyed the DLCs so far, although both automatron and wasteland workshop had a few shortcomings. Glad I brought the season pass before the price hike though or I'd be feeling more than a little ripped off

Automatron was fun, but small, FH is an excellent bit of DLC and who can say about NW (only that its most likely smaller than FH).

The workshop stuff, while nice for some, doesn't interest me at all. I can see where its assets will be useful as the game ages, but i would have preferred (like a lot of others) that they had concentrated on game play, fleshing out the minor factions (the gunners especially) as well as the post-main quest world. The game as a whole feels unfinished.

OTOH, ending the DLC will let the game mature and then maybe the mod enhancements and additions will really start to shine. Not saying there are some great mods out now, but a finished game + time will definitely improve the offerings. I just hope FO4 gets as much love as Skyrim did.

I'm quite disappointed with this. I had sort of convinced myself that there were going to be 4 story dlcs, figuring the far harbor magazines (and its asccociated achievement) fill a quarter of a magazine rack, so we'd have 4 to fill it. Like the DLC snow-globes in new Vegas filling the extra shelf. Guess I read far too much into that.

I have enjoyed the DLCs so far, although both automatron and wasteland workshop had a few shortcomings. Glad I brought the season pass before the price hike though or I'd be feeling more than a little ripped off

I don't know, even with the price increase it's still a pretty good deal. with Far Harbor and Nuka World that's 45, add in Automatron for 55 and the three workshop DLCs for the total 70. So you save 20 bucks with the season pass.

Automatron was fun, but small, FH is an excellent bit of DLC and who can say about NW (only that its most likely smaller than FH).

The workshop stuff, while nice for some, doesn't interest me at all. I can see where its assets will be useful as the game ages, but i would have preferred (like a lot of others) that they had concentrated on game play, fleshing out the minor factions (the gunners especially) as well as the post-main quest world. The game as a whole feels unfinished.

OTOH, ending the DLC will let the game mature and then maybe the mod enhancements and additions will really start to shine. Not saying there are some great mods out now, but a finished game + time will definitely improve the offerings. I just hope FO4 gets as much love as Skyrim did.

From the sound of NW it's probably big. New land-mass with quests in it plus the promise of leading raider gangs to conquer the Commonwealth, sounds an awful lot like it's a new fifth route.

Edited by CiderMuffin

I have two, mixed guts feelings:

Nuka world is freaking big with a lot of s#*! to do on it. That why it the last DLC. Because it really big and very detailed. If it was the case, I'm ok with it.

If the writing was good or great, the quests varied and long, took feedback to heart, had new fun features, in short a great dlc all around and the best they have made, I would be happy with it and not mad at all. I would be glad, they stepped up their game. I don't want as many dlcs as fo3, i want good dlcs. A meh dlc is hardly worth the time.

-im pissed there is no weapon pack DLC :( have to admit i would have wanted it over a workshop pack.

Gonna be a long time. ='[.]'=

Good, I hardly mind. I'm even happy about it.