Lore Topic - Rogue Conjurors

jamochawoke

There's tons of these guys all over Cyrodiil but the Mage's Guild never utters a word on them (at least not that I can remember).

How does the guild stand towards them? Why are they always hostile? Are they some sort of daedra-summoning cult that Bethesda never gave attention to?

They are basically outlaw magicians who traffic with Daedra. Rather than being a cult dedicated to a Daedra Prince like the Mythic Dawn or the worshippers at the various Daedric Shrines, the Conjurers seem to just want to use Daedra for their own ends.

Martin seems to have started down the road of a Conjurer in his youth.

I'd guess they're always hostile because they don't want anyone discovering their hideouts and living to tell the tale. It's possible they want nice fresh body parts for rituals, feeding their Clannfears, etc.

I don't know how the Mages Guild is towards them for sure, but I'd expect them to despise them. Conjurers give all magic-users a bad name.

Edited by Lodur9000

I think it is really amusing the the Mages Guild hates Necromancers and doesn't seem to get along with Conjurors, but they eagerly teach you how to cast all those spells and become a Necromancer or Conjuror.

My favorite is Trayvond the Redguard at the Cheydinhal Mages Guild. He gives his little speech about Redguards hating mages and hating people who traffic with daedra. Then if you look at the spells he can teach you, you will note that he can teach you how to summon a Scamp.

Edited by David Brasher

Well one major part of my mod is that the mage's guild no longer sells necromancy spells. But you can still find them from multiple places throughout the game. But conjuring daedra and armor/weapons (pieces of oblivion) is really standard practice for the mage's guild and if you read the lore on the mage's guild and the battlespire especially it's pretty fundamental to them.

That's why I was mainly confused by the rogue conjurors lol.

The mages guild may sell necromancy spells and summoning spells but only because it expects you to not use them in an ill manner. Conjurers and Necromancers work towards their own evil ends whilst defying the laws of the mages guild.

I don't know for sure but I suspect the Guild may see a difference (a fine line perhaps) between short-duration Conjuration spells and the kinds of things you see Necromancers doing with corpses in their lairs. Conjurers are often found with permanent Daedra too, not just the ones they summon for a short time.

• 2 weeks later...
I always though there was a difference between summoning undead and creating them. Summoning undead pulls them from Namira's realm (or so i read somewhere but now I can't find it) While actually creating undead on Nirn itself violates burial rituals and pacts with Arkay. That always seemed to be the fundamental difference to me. I guess with conjurors that would be the same? The difference between conjuring Daedra and physically bringing them to the plane.