First "technical" impressions (no spoilers)

zerpentor

This is not a movie.

Completely irrelevant. Game production and movie production is very similar nowadays. They use the same fundamental principals to insure at least some degree of structure and quality. The only difference between a movie and a modern RPG game is that the game allows you to interact with it and change things. This difference is also irrelevant to my point, which is this: Dropping you in the game without any explanation to why, where or who diminished the game.

Just because TES games have always done this does not make it ok. If that's ok, then why improve anything at all and bar every improvement to the series.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As i wrote before its about immagination...people are used to have everything served to them...they need to know the whole story or they will feel lost, uncertain, wont know what to do....thats what most games are...take you by hand, therefore im not surprised you see this as a poor design choice and lack in story...many people, including me, are being thankfull to beth that we can just make up our own little story at the beginning and immerse ourselfs in...thats what their games are about and (hopefully) will be...a vast world where you can be whoever you want and do whatever you want.

In the end its all about how you look at such things...for someone - for someone+..impossible to make everyone happy.

Edited by pavy

Beginning a narrative In media res is a common technique. It does not diminish efficacy in most cases. Reservoir Dogs utilizes flashbacks to fill in the gaps, Homer's epics are largely non-linear. The difference between a game and a piece of literature or a movie is not only that the user interacts and changes the environment, but that the user, if inclined, creates the story of what happened before. Edited by irelocus

There are always strong story elements in Bethesda's RPGs, but they're not presented in the same way as many other games.

Think of the traditional DM, they're partially responsible for creating the element of interactivity and building up a more personalized story. Most modern CRPGs can be divided into categories based on how they interpret who takes the role of the DM.

Bethesda is one of the few companies that develops games where part of that role is taken by you. Most of the traditional DM elements are managed by the game, but Bethesda realizes the same thing any good DM does, that you need to give players that certain level of freedom to determine their own place in the world in order to create a greater sense of immersion.

But what i don't understand is how on earth do you make a backstory in a game? you can not play the game before it starts, you can not go back in time in any of the TES games as far as i know. So please tell me how you can make a backstory about a char in a game if you can not play the past (don't say make it up you're self. That is not what this is about)

Full disclosure: I haven't played yet, because where I live it won't unlock for another 5 hours & 15 minutes. So I can't comment on the UI issues beyond saying that some reviewers have also mentioned the problems, so hopefully a mod or patch will fix them.

But as for the question I've quoted above? If you're serious (and I suspect you're just trolling, but I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt) then I'm guessing you're not very familiar with role playing games. Making it up is the whole point. You don't have to play through it, you imagine it.

At least now we know why we're getting executed: The Imperials are total jerks who execute anybody they encounter while rounding up rebels (whom they also execute, because there's no crime like a war crime!). It's a nice step up from Oblivion, which was, "You're in jail waiting to get executed, for, uh. Some reason!"

It seems like a sort of stupid design decision, since apparently one is supposed to make a decision whether to support the Empire or the Rebel Alliance later on, and starting off with the Empire trying to murder me pretty much guarantees that I'll want to blow up their death star. But roleplay-wise, it suits me fine.

Just think for a moment about the size of Skyrim. Of course the graphics are not going to be, at say Uncharted 3 levels or some other game with great graphics of your choosing. There is just to much content to be able to make the graphics blow your socks off and still deliver the same level of content that fans of the series love, with this generation of hardware. And yes yes I know "make it for PC & not worry about console because they can't handle the better graphics", well the community does a wonderful job at releasing graphical mods so this really isn't that big of an issue. Anyone who has been a fan of the series loves that you are not told about your back story. This is not a time to evolve or change with the times situation, you wouldn't re release Lord of the Rings with more explosions just because Michael Bay films are popular. Also people who have been a fan know that they are not going to, without mods, get ridiculous graphics because of the sheer size of the game. If you are really that disappointed, just don't play it until some mods come out, but saying people who are defending the game with logical statements are just fanboys/girls is ignorant, you don't have to be blinded by your devotion to a game company to stick up for something.

I can't help but agree with the OP. It runs great on my old machine, so far that's the only thing I'm jumping for joy at.

- UI is atrocious. Absolutely inexcusably bad. I didn't mind the stock Oblivion UI but this is just beyond awful. I might be able to live with it if the game had full mouse support.

- Game does not have full mouse support. WASDing through menus is B.S.

- No hotkeys. "Favorite" system sucks and does not make up for the absence of true hotkeys.

- Armor has been simplified yet again down to just "armor" (breast plate, shoulders, thighs, forearms is all one piece), helmet, boots and gloves.

- Armor doesn't degrade.

- You don't select a class. Instead you just activate a stone that gives you a 20% boost in thief/mage/warrior leveling speed. This can be changed at will.

- At first glance the world map seems very small, unless most of it is just hidden at the beginning. It seems like a quarter the size of Cyrodiil...maybe a third.

- HEALTH REGENERATES. God forbid a gamer be challenged in 2011. This is the biggest problem of all. I'm in awe of it.

Thank god for tesnexus and mods. This needs so much work.

Edited by Gaius Octavian

I agree. The Nexus allows users to please all the whiney sticklers while the rest of us are generally happy with the game, aside from the obvious technical flaws which don't relate to personal taste and opinion, i.e poor mouse support.

I agree. The Nexus allows users to please all the whiney sticklers while the rest of us are generally happy with the game, aside from the obvious technical flaws which don't relate to personal taste and opinion, i.e poor mouse support.

OK fanboy. Spare me.

Edited by Gaius Octavian