Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

These crashes are really nothing I've ever seen before and I've been playing games for over 20 years now.

I had no crash for about a week with the upping the GPU fan speed to never let the GPU go higher than 60 degrees.

Now today for the first time I had my black screen crash again, I rebooted, 10 min of playing later I get it again. So now it's constant again.

What's up with this? Tis spooky :P

similar boat to you, Zolexus. in the past, i've had crashes that were caused by faulty hardware and it was easy to test and find the culprit. there have only been two games recently that have caused full system crashes without any of my hardware reaching critical temps (skyrim and tm2: canyon).

skyrim crashed my pc several times on the first night i got it, but after noticing the temperature of my GPU exceeding 80C, i figured that upping the fan speed to 100% from 80% would do the trick - and it did.

but now that these random crashes of unknown reasons are occuring, i'm stumped as to what it may be. i am curious, however on something: does RAM have a critical shutdown point? could we be experiencing heavy bandwidth use of our RAM and causing it to overheat?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jochenator, you are a legend!

I tried the afterburner fix to lock to graphics card clocks and the game has been stable since. Prior to that, the graphics driver would crash and the monitor would be receiving no signal. I would have to hard reset to fix it, and doing so too often even corrupted my RAID 0 array (thanks Bethesda...).

I think the graphics driver crash has something to do with the clocks switching between 3D/2D? It would only happen in certain parts of Skyrim (e.g. I couldn't get close to Bilegulch mine before without it crashing) but now the game is fine. Infact, i am an Bilegulch mine right now, digging up some sweet orichulchum or e:)

Anybody else experiencing the same symptoms as i was should give this fix a try! (you can also use Riva Tuner to lock the clocks).

And to Jochenator, thanks again!

Greetings chaps, i have been following this thread from the beginning and i'm quite glad well, ish, that the sad/angry bunch of us gathered here to cry together.

It's a comfort in teh interwebs.

Just figured i'd share my solution with you guys, it worked for me and well.. i hope someone can benefit from it also.

When this idiot problem came up (freeze, random colours/gpu terror reboot s***) i began.. well.. doing everything, tried pretty much everything in this thread and a few unorthodox things i really wont mention.. anyway..

After adding some things together, the occurances of my crashes, the gpu behaviour, my settings,

clocks etc and the hint from a previous poster about 2d vs 3d powersaving issue (his solution was then to downclock to permanent 2d.)

i realised that my problems began after i lowered my settings for a smoother fps (it's a new computer so i'm experimenting a lot..).. i thought it was the new drivers fault first tbh but hey.. can't blame em all the time.

I think it was the powerplay that activated when i paused in graphic intense moments, the setting activated and then the game didnt like changing it back when i unpaused, for example, many similiar moments.

It actually ran better on heavy settings for permanent heavy load.

Ah nvm, try using MSI afterburner, open the MSIafterburner.cfg and add

UnofficialOverclockingEULA = I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it

UnofficialOverclockingMode = 2

Methinks it says UnofficialOverclockingEULA = 0 from the beginning or something like it.. near the bottom.

This will turn off powersavings or powerplay or whatever it's called, and stopping the gpu from jumping between 2d and 3d mode, keeping a stable clock. It worked like a charm for me, been playing for 3 days nonstop (sleep ofc..) without freeze now, knock on wood.. where i got a crash every 15-20 mins before.

Do note that you dont have to overclock your gpu to use this program, just make sure your fan is at a good setting and that the card can handle the skyrim full load (which it should but just be safe..).

Heck, i'm tired but i hope i made any sense, good luck and do say if it worked for you.

Cheers

oh, my specs are

tf3 6950 2gb 975/1450

i5 2500k 4,2ghz

8gb 1600hz ram

somethingsomethinglaser

Yes, this solved the problem for me as well! No more crashing...

Thank you!

Please forgive me if this has been covered, I've been following the thread since creation, but have only read the first 15 pages and the last 4 (51-55). I have the same issue with black screen / loss of video signal, requiring a hard reboot of the system. My fans all kick in to high gear, but at reboot the system is well within tolerances. I have only seen this issue in the map, and it is easily reproducible. I have tried changing video settings for the game from low to ultra, and modifying each and every value listed in the configuration options individually, and the issue occurs reliably, every time, on all graphical settings. Low takes longer (about 10 minutes before issues will occur reliably), Ultra will fail within 2 minutes. As with other posts, tried multiple ATI drivers and changing clocks through Catalyst AMD Overdrive, no change. System specs: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Intel Q6650 2.6GHz CPU, Sapphire ATI HD 5870, OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD, 4 GB Corsair PC6400, 700W Thermaltake modular PSU.

Greetings chaps, i have been following this thread from the beginning and i'm quite glad well, ish, that the sad/angry bunch of us gathered here to cry together.

Just figured i'd share my solution with you guys, it worked for me and well.. i hope someone can benefit from it also.

When this idiot problem came up (freeze, random colours/gpu terror reboot s***) i began.. well.. doing everything, tried pretty much everything in this thread and a few unorthodox things i really wont mention.. anyway..

After adding some things together, the occurances of my crashes, the gpu behaviour, my settings,

clocks etc and the hint from a previous poster about 2d vs 3d powersaving issue (his solution was then to downclock to permanent 2d.)

i realised that my problems began after i lowered my settings for a smoother fps (it's a new computer so i'm experimenting a lot..).. i thought it was the new drivers fault first tbh but hey.. can't blame em all the time.

I think it was the powerplay that activated when i paused in graphic intense moments, the setting activated and then the game didnt like changing it back when i unpaused, for example, many similiar moments.

UnofficialOverclockingEULA = I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it

Methinks it says UnofficialOverclockingEULA = 0 from the beginning or something like it.. near the bottom.

This will turn off powersavings or powerplay or whatever it's called, and stopping the gpu from jumping between 2d and 3d mode, keeping a stable clock. It worked like a charm for me, been playing for 3 days nonstop (sleep ofc..) without freeze now, knock on wood.. where i got a crash every 15-20 mins before.

Do note that you dont have to overclock your gpu to use this program, just make sure your fan is at a good setting and that the card can handle the skyrim full load (which it should but just be safe..).

Heck, i'm tired but i hope i made any sense, good luck and do say if it worked for you.

Cheers

oh, my specs are

tf3 6950 2gb 975/1450

i5 2500k 4,2ghz

8gb 1600hz ram

somethingsomethinglaser

Yes, this solved the problem for me as well! No more crashing...

Thank you!

Do you have just to run the programm, and then lauchn Skyrim?

I do so and still get black screen

No, you have to change the config file for MSI Afterburner - I left his instructions in this quote. As someone else said, you can also use Riva Turner.

No, you have to change the config file for MSI Afterburner - I left his instructions in this quote. As someone else said, you can also use Riva Turner.

Ofc I changed cfg file as instructed.

I mean, do you need to keep MSI aftb keep running while playing Skyrim and do you have to do any other actions besides changind mode from 0 to 2 in cfg file

Cheers

oh, my specs are

tf3 6950 2gb 975/1450

i5 2500k 4,2ghz

8gb 1600hz ram

somethingsomethinglaser

can i humbly ask what's your video card driver or CAP if your using any? Much appreciated.

Hola, nice, glad it worked for someone else too.

Yeah, you have to have afterburner active, you can choose to minimize it into tray, no idea about riva tho, havent used that one.

Reverted my driver to 11.9 and kept them there a few days ago, driver sweeper as usual, dont think it matters much but who knows. The 11.9 i mean, driversweeper matters. It's just that i changed drivers and a lot of other s*** the same time it all came crashing down, so i reverted most of my actions.

Also trying http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1257882-patch-1-unofficial-bugfix/ atm and my game is solid like a stick now. (Yeah this was a desperate measure since my only problem actually was the crashes but i kept it, i dont touch anything now)

Can even cram in massive AA if i want to again without issues.

Hey guys,

I am the one posted the downclocking to 2d mode solution.

I already tried to fix my problem the same way Jochenator did but with Riva Tuner (by clocking the card to its normal 3d mode settings - Riva Tuner disables the automatich switching) but it didn't work for me with Skyrim.

All other games I can play with this solution problem free.

Ill try Jochenator's solution by using afterburner and post my results anytime this weekend.

But if this doesn't work for you try to downclock to 2d GPU speed (power saving mode) - this works at least perfectly for me.