Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

Yes I would agree that character level is irrelevant. I had my first crash about an hour after I created my first character - I was around level 3-4. Now I have two characters (L18 and L14) and I've had consistent crashes on both of them throughout my time playing them.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the info Aethgar, Coyote and Drakkaoul. :)

I'm surprised to see that the lower level characters are triggering it as well. As for my testing orc the character hasn't completed or accomplished anything beyond the very first quest. As I keep saying I haven't experienced a freeze on that character even after forced leveling.

So I should've asked before: Are there any quests that you've completed or even just acquired that are on *all* of your characters? Any items?

Any common denominator would be useful, but if there isn't one then what quests does each character have?

Maybe for testing purposes you could start a new character and (without getting/completing any quests besides the beginning) go for a giant roam across skyrim. If it still freezes then we may be experiencing different but similar problems.

Edited by kwantome

On the Khajiit, if I'm able to recall:

Main Quest - complete.

Has NOT allied with Imperials or Stormcloaks.

HAS joined the Companions, but hasn't done anything for them.

Is Listener for the Dark Brotherhood, that questline totally completed.

Is a Nightingale of Nocturnal.

Did enough quests for the mages to unlock the ruin permitting me to complete the Gauldur Amulet.

Has completed the Daedric questline for Meridia, Barbas the daedric doggie, and Sheogorath.

Has returned Amern's sword, cleared out White River watcher, Lost knife Hideout, and saved the Redguard woman from her pursuers.

I've done a LOT more than that thanks to having wandered around rather a lot going 'Oooo' excitedly like a kid in a candy shop. Hence being 41 before even entering Sovngarde.

Did enough quests to be a Thane of Markarth and of Whiterun with properties in both cities.

On the Imperial:

Is a vampire. Has cleared out the vampires from Morthal. Is in the Mages' guild. Has returned Amren's sword and cleared the bandits from that twin tower complex. Has also cleaned up the necromancer in the family town also nearby.

Does not own a house.

Is in the Dark brotherhood but has done no killings yet.

On the Redguard:

Is a werewolf. Has freed the Redguard woman of her Al'ikr pursuers. Has returned Amren's sword, and returned the second piece of the Companions' hammer o awesome.

The only points of comparison are the redguard woman questline, though my Imperial has not finished it, and Amren's sword.

Edited by Aethgar

There is an ongoing post at Kotaku website regarding Skyrim, bugs and glitches.

http://kotaku.com/5864324/say-goodbye-to-skyrims-backwards-flying-dragons

It might help us to make it a better known issue if any of the people at this thread are also members of Kotaku and would like to share their experiences and problems being how visible and well regarded is Kotaku among the gaming industry.

I already posted there, sharing some of our tribulations and also a link to this thread.

Feel free to also participate .

Thank you for reading this.

Edited by VioleFalushe

Still trying to cause the Freeze/crash on that damn orc. Went and did the first couple main storyline missions as people said they were experiencing the freeze regardless of level. Skyrim still freezes my PC on my higher level/farther in the game characters but not on the orc.

His quests look like this:

Incomplete/in progress

*In my time of need

*Dragon Rising

*Golden claw

*Misc: join legion, talk to brynjolf, go to college of winterhold.

Complete

*Unbound

*Bleak falls barrow

*Before the storm

I know some of you posters said that the evil PC lockup happens even at low levels and with a minimal amount of quests done, but I'd really appreciate if someone could start a brand new character and, like with my miraculously freezeless orc, go for a long roam in the wilderness with the intention of triggering a freeze. If it ends up happening at random when you've literally done nothing, (no random quests, no putting items in containers or dropping them in the world, etc.), then I quit. (or at least I'll need a looong break from trying to fix skyrim :S ).

If it doesn't freeze then hopefully we're on to something. If it freezes right after doing something, anything, even if you did something hours ago and it was the only thing you've done, please share.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Still trying to cause the Freeze/crash on that damn orc. Went and did the first couple main storyline missions as people said they were experiencing the freeze regardless of level. Skyrim still freezes my PC on my higher level/farther in the game characters but not on the orc.

His quests look like this:

Incomplete/in progress

*In my time of need

*Dragon Rising

*Golden claw

*Misc: join legion, talk to brynjolf, go to college of winterhold.

Complete

*Unbound

*Bleak falls barrow

*Before the storm

I know some of you posters said that the evil PC lockup happens even at low levels and with a minimal amount of quests done, but I'd really appreciate if someone could start a brand new character and, like with my miraculously freezeless orc, go for a long roam in the wilderness with the intention of triggering a freeze. If it ends up happening at random when you've literally done nothing, (no random quests, no putting items in containers or dropping them in the world, etc.), then I quit. (or at least I'll need a looong break from trying to fix skyrim :S ).

If it doesn't freeze then hopefully we're on to something. If it freezes right after doing something, anything, even if you did something hours ago and it was the only thing you've done, please share.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

I've posted a few times in this thread. My crashes happen at completely random times when I'm doing nothing in particular. I'm not sure if that helps or hurts the cause here, but I've tried to reproduce crashes and I cannot. Sometimes I crash randomly in 5mins, sometimes in 20. I tend to do better in dungeons than in the open...for what that is worth. When I start a new character, I get through almost an hour of playing time without issue. The minute I get out into the open, I tend to crash.

I was trying some things with different characters, it does seem to crash more after you kill the first dragon. I can't get past level 8 still, crashes all the time after the toll thugs on my main saved game. I'm a high elf, map related maybe, textures or model issues? I did notice it crashed as soon as a thug came into view and changed to high detail, just a thought. Too many variables to consider in general though and it has crashed in too many different areas as well as the first toll thug area. Does this game have some sort of console dump log somewhere? The company probably has something to monitor it though obviously, I'm sure they can't be crash free unless they only test it on one kind of system. This is related to restarts because I have had them, sometimes it restarts, sometimes it goes to desktop and I've had random freezes it kinda chooses, I'm going to check the windows logs to see if it mentions something. Edited by dark27

Bad news, the mod kit isn't coming until January. Maybe a modder can still fix this, who knows. I'm certainly not holding my breath for Bethesda anymore.

Sadly, I don't think it'd make a difference anyway. The problem lies within the game engine, which the Creation Kit will not allow access to.