Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Deshiel, I have AMD components, so cannot help with Nvidia or Intel information, but I am positive they have similar or better information than given in the link below. There are also other suggestions within. Hope it works!

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/TroubleshootingGameIssues.aspx

Kudos to you :). I've reset my driver to default and the game seems to be non crashing for now.

Lol, exactly my same problem, until 3 days ago my game never froze, not even once.....now, it freezes every time I'm in Whiterun!!!!!! Ofc I still have the miserable CTDs as silly as usual......damn game is simply unplayable!!!

Please do consider resetting your graphics card to it's factory defaults. I'm not saying it is the definitive fix, but it immediately worked for me. No problem at all since.

OMG it is actually working!!! I have this problem from day one and i manage to play the game with underclock but i tried your solution and it is working...

Edited by kleyton

I cannot say for certain, obviously, if Deshiel or anyone else returns here to see what else may have been written and what solutions work for them. If you've found something that worked, fantastic! However, I still do not have the permanent solution and must make a statement of disclosure.

I've had to reset to "Factory Defaults" numerous times, and each time it's worked, so far. Which means, it's not my permanent fix. The mystery still exists.

If it's a Skyrim-only problem, it must be an update- or mod-incompatibility problem. But I've made several downloads which would affect DX, video settings, etc. Yet, I download those enticing specials more than actually ever play them. BF3 (downloaded from Gamers Gate but necessarily played through Origin (I mention this because it's a variable)) had the same initial startup/video crashing after a couple of hours of play but before the Weekend Specials . I've play-tested every Steam game I own, the one Origin game, Amazon downloads and disk-loaded games but have still encountered momentary video pauses or black screens (3 to 4) outside of any application. Very random, to me, but it's not.

I suspect my HD 5750 is playing it's endgame, but no diagnostic tools I have indicate a problem. I've already dumped the Witcher 2 EE from the drive, but the effects still persist. The damage is done.

If only there was a comprehensive diagnostic program that could state for non-computer engineers, "Well, there's your problem right there!"

I don't have this problem with any other game it only happens in skyrim but i fixed it with underclocking my memory clock and i manage to finish the game and put over 150 hours of gameplay but i returned here and saw your solution and i tried it and it is working i only wish i would know it a few months ago when i played skyrim every day but thank you

I have a very similar problem, only I dont get a black screen, I can still se the image, but everything freezes and distorted sound is playing all the time until I restart my computer. I recently bought a new GPU, Radeon 7850, and after two weeks I started getting the issue. Its probably not cpu or memory either, I have i7 920 and 6GB of RAM (using > 2GB patch). GPU doesnt go over 70 degrees, so its not overheating. Its VERY annoying. With radeon 5850 (sold it in december, havent played the game until 7850 came out) I didnt have the issue. Edited by Kilburn786

Guys,

try this... it worked for me, i have been playing fullscreen for hours, it never crashed again,not once

i don't know if it has anything to do with it, but i started with resetting my video driver to it's default settings...

i hope this works for others too !

This makes my game run almost problem free.......

I added this to my target path to the game exe:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "TESV.exe" /affinity 5 "C:\Program Files...

Loading and playing with 2 cores enabled only (on quad cores) makes my saves load 98% of the time and play for 3-4 hours crash free.

This makes my game run almost problem free.......

I added this to my target path to the game exe:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "TESV.exe" /affinity 5 "C:\Program Files...

Loading and playing with 2 cores enabled only (on quad cores) makes my saves load 98% of the time and play for 3-4 hours crash free.

Didn't seem to work for me...

Skyrim runs on two out of three gaming systems in my entertainment room.

Intel quad core system w/ 8gb of RAM and nVidia GT200 (works)

AMD hex core system w/ 8GB of RAM and nVidia GTX 275 (works)

AMD quad core system w/ 8GB of RAM and nVidia GTX 275 (system crashes frequently)

All three systems are using legit WIN7 64bit and Skyrim software, and have plenty of HD space. The two AMD systems all have superior chassis cooling as well.

I've updated the OS and drivers (bios, MB, Video, USB, Sound, HD controler, etc...), and installed latest DirectX, checked for malware, and checked HD for problems due to frequent total system crashes.

I even formatted and reinstalled the OS on the problematic AMD system. The two AMD computers are nearly identical except for the CPU, and the game works full screen on ultra mode on one AMD system.

Changing the resolution and vid quality on the bad system seems to vary when the fail happens, but nothing fixes it.

WTH???