Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

voodochild is amazing - as is everyone else that helped with this.

I have an AMD Phenom II 830 processor (4 cores) 2.8GHz, 6G ram, WIn7, Radeon HD 6700.

I had the same problem as everyone else here - crashes when outside, no more than two minutes even on lowest graphics. Sometimes it would recover after several seconds, sometimes just freeze to black, sometimes CTD.

I updated EVERYTHING (BIOS, video and sound drivers, DirectX - I even pulled my video card out and reset it - looked for IRQ conflicts, changed my graphics settings, underclocked the card, downloaded the patches (and then uninstalled), changed the sound settings, did THREE clean reloads of Skyrim through Steam and THREE removing the drivers and doing a clean reinstall - but the stuff here worked. Now, I run on high settings with FXAA and fade out checked, and about 20 mods - 3 hours with no crash, versus 3 minutes.

All in all I spent about 20 hours trying to get this to work. If nothing else, I know a LOT more about how my box works - or at least ways it stops working.

I tell you - my spring break plan is Skyrim, and I was thinking about buying a whole new box for it.... Whew!

Thanks! Why did that work?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will probably work for a little while longer dccrux but then it will unfortunately probably start crashing again. I hope it doesn't though for you. I'm sure Skyrim hates the Radeon HD 6000 series for some reason. It refused to run on my AMD Radeon HD 6870 without that horrble black screen computer restarting crash after about 5 minutes of gameplay or less. My problems stopped completely when I got a new computer and an AMD Radeon HD 7870 OC. A very expensive way to be able to play Skyrim though.

Hi guys

I found a solution for an ATI 5850. I was oissed because I thought it is a Bethada Problem, but it is not.

Maybe it is describe in one of the posts ( I did't read em all)

and probably people with other Graphic Card have a similar

Solution.

Go to

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1962/TechPowerUp_Radeon_Bios_Editor_v1.28.html

download the Program

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2107/mirrors.php

Save your Graphic Bios in a File.

Open it with the Radeon Bios Editor

Alter it to

725 550 550 400 400 550

1000 900 900 900 1000 1000

1.088 1.088 1.038 1 1 1.038

Trasfer it back to the Graphic Card

Was working for me.

Did't find a way to attach a file

ZenForAll

• 3 months later...

I still have crashes in skyrim after I tried voodochild`s suggestions. Not sure if it did help thuogh cause the game did crash pretty quickly about 5-10 min in game. It still happens at random times in the main world (outside)

I did get this message when restarting my computer, can`t renember it pop up before either :S

I`m starting to belive that this is a software issue in windows, it happend twice while surfing the web...

The system is intel core2 duo 3.1GHz, 4G ram, Nvidia 560 GTX and win7.

Any suggestions?

Edit; I tried the .dll file mentioned earlier in this thread but didn`t help me much...

Edited by Shotherra

My case is pretty interesting. I was able to finish main Alduin quest and Nightingale quest without a single crash. Then after 2 weeks I wanted to try some mods and another character. My PC started to crash after few hours then minutes, then few seconds after launching the game. My GTX260 doesn't overheat - it can run FurMark or other 3D games for hours. I've tried every graphics settings - no change. Reverted to old video drivers - no change. I've stripped my game of all mods - no change. Uninstalled and reinstalled - no change, still whole PC crash after few seconds. No problem with any other games. This is really, really strange...

BTW, how many of you have ASUS gfx or mainboard?

Edited by su27

Hi Su27 I think when you tried playing with some mods it somehow corrupted the game and started causing another crash of it's own. I know this as it has happened to me before when I tried to run mods that don't play nice with other mods and mess up skyrim completely when it crashes. Only way to truly know which mod(s) are the culprit is to do some trial and error with the mods you used. Try removing one mod you have installed and run the game again. Keep doing that until you no longer get that crash. You will have to totally clean reinstall Skyrim first though before attempting that. I personally think that could lead to a huge headache and having to clean reinstall Skyrim until you find the offending Mod(s) That is something you may not want to do. Which mods do you use by the way? Also do you have more than 50 mods running because the more mods you have the more unstable Skyrim becomes. Mods that use a lot of scripting can also potentially bug out and break Skyrim badly. I have an Asus Crosshair V Formula Motherboard and it works great with Skyrim now. Especially with my Gigabyte branded AMD HD 7870 2GB OC graphics card.

Writer2036: I've already tried to do a clean install of the game, without any mod. It still crash my PC...

Interesting thing is that even my crash dump analyser thinks its not a hardware issue:

On Sat 2013-07-06 20:28:53 GMT your computer crashed

On Sat 2013-07-06 20:28:53 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\070613-45536-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75C00)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFF8000000FBCF, 0x8, 0xFFFFF8000000FBCF, 0x0)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

I looked into this and ntoskrnl.exe is the core windows system kernel file. It turns out that bad drivers can confuse this kernel and then cause serious system crashes. The trouble is any driver can cause this problem. So what you should do is update every single software and hardware driver you have on your system. If you can get a non dodgy driver updater program that would help you immensely with this. I have another solution if this one does not work = )

• 4 weeks later...

when im playing the game people and objects slowly fade into view and its super annoying and im runnig on ultra wiht no lag and a bunch of mods to improve visuals and such but im walking around and i see a floating fire and i approach it and i slowly fades into a iron fire holder or a street lamp and stuff i dont get it anyhelp please