Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Writer,

Please let me know. Thinking of updating my system with a new card.

And yes I have an Nvidia card on an Intel chipset. Just started crashing again last night after a few months of it behaving itself :wallbash:

Writer,

Please let me know. Thinking of updating my system with a new card.

And yes I have an Nvidia card on an Intel chipset. Just started crashing again last night after a few months of it behaving itself :wallbash:

Well that blows my theory that Skyrim hates AMD products. Few months and then it borks again ugh how frustrating. Well after playing Skyrim yesterday for about 6 hours straight with the new AMD HD 7870 OC it didn't black screen crash once. It did however freeze a few times fora few seconds but I have the game set to ultra high settings so that may just be frame rate issues. Other than that it ran great. So far so good I guess. I have this bad feeling it's going to do it again though. I hope I am wrong. Will report more after I test it on High Settings. I went through a ton of graphic card comparisons and reviews on both Nvidia and AMD before I chose the 7870. It was the best performing card I could get for a lower price. Cost me 285 Australian Dollars.

Well, chalk another one up for getting a ton of hard crashes (black screen, repeating audio, requires hard reboot of machine to fix). I'm running a Sapphire Radeon 5770. I'm quite certain it isn't a heat issue, as I've kept an eye on the temps on a second monitor and they don't get that high. I've also never had it crash like that on any other game.

How exactly does one disable 2D clocks?

Well, I'm frustrated with these crashes and getting crashes on The Secret World now also. Even though I'm on a limited budget, I am upgrading my power supply (which was stretched pretty thin anyway) and my video card--going up to a NVIDIA GeForce GTX560 Ti. Note that this the ONLY card upgrade that I can do for my aging computer which I'm not in a position to replace yet (too many paid-up licenses, in the middle of a job hunt, etc).

Hopefully this will solve some of the problems. I have a lot of time on my hands now, and NOT being able to play my paid-up games pisses me off to no end.

Anyone had any luck/issues with the GTX560 Ti?

Well, I'm frustrated with these crashes and getting crashes on The Secret World now also. Even though I'm on a limited budget, I am upgrading my power supply (which was stretched pretty thin anyway) and my video card--going up to a NVIDIA GeForce GTX560 Ti. Note that this the ONLY card upgrade that I can do for my aging computer which I'm not in a position to replace yet (too many paid-up licenses, in the middle of a job hunt, etc).

Hopefully this will solve some of the problems. I have a lot of time on my hands now, and NOT being able to play my paid-up games pisses me off to no end.

Anyone had any luck/issues with the GTX560 Ti?

I've heard a lot of good things about the GTX560 TI. It will play most games on fairly high settings smoothly apart from some of the newer most demanding games. I have also heard some bad things about that card such as some batches have been faulty or unstable. Apparently they stuffed up the factory overclock and I think it also had heating issues for some people. I had a GTX560 Ti a couple of years ago and it was great while it ran. But it started developing severe screen artifacts and eventually failed completely. I might have been one of the people that had a faulty one. It only lasted 3 months. Although that's longer than some people I read about online. Basically it's a great all rounder Graphics card if it remains stable. I hope it does for you. Just keep your receipt somewhere safe and where you can get to it easily just in case something does go awry with it. It shouldn't though as I it would be crazy for Nvidia to still have dodgy GTX 560 Ti's on the market.

Edited by writer2036

I've heard a lot of good things about the GTX560 TI. It will play most games on fairly high settings smoothly apart from some of the newer most demanding games. I have also heard some bad things about that card such as some batches have been faulty or unstable. Apparently they stuffed up the factory overclock and I think it also had heating issues for some people. I had a GTX560 Ti a couple of years ago and it was great while it ran. But it started developing severe screen artifacts and eventually failed completely. I might have been one of the people that had a faulty one. It only lasted 3 months. Although that's longer than some people I read about online. Basically it's a great all rounder Graphics card if it remains stable. I hope it does for you. Just keep your receipt somewhere safe and where you can get to it easily just in case something does go awry with it. It shouldn't though as I it would be crazy for Nvidia to still have dodgy GTX 560 Ti's on the market.

Thanks for the headsup and peace of mind booster! :) I am actually really good RE filing my receipts, registering stuff online, and soforth, and have never had an issue enforcing a warranty with reputable vendors, so even if I do get a bum unit (and hopefully I won't) I'm good.

Also, I only have 4 gigs of RAM--I'm not going to try to switch to Vista 64 as this would bring its own special set of clusterf*cks along. I think that once I upgrade my card, and continue to try to play with selective boot (ie all unnecessary load items unchecked) I hopefully will get back on track.

Also upping the power supply--I have to as I am putting the Ti in. My old supply is only 350--when I configged this machine 5 years ago I was ignorant of how important a big brick really was. Upping to 550 which should be more than enough.

Will keep all posted.

In other news; I totally reinstalled my vid drivers last night doing a PROPER clean install (NOT in safe mode) and I actually played for around 4 hours before (presumabley) everything drained out/overheated/whateverthef is going on.

Check this fantastic article...

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1174372&mpage=1

--3M

Bethesda should have fixed this months ago, I get the same as everyone else, crash to black screen requiring restart, audio still playing in the background. My game had been stable for a long time, I have like 200+ hours played according to steam, but I've just recently returned to Skyrim after a few weeks and all of a sudden this has happened. It's not more common inside than out, it just indiscriminately crashes when it likes.

My specs are as follows:

Intel Core i7 930 @ 4.00GHz

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R LGA1366 Motherboard

2x POV GTX670's SLi

12GB Patriot Viper DDR3 1600MHz Memory

Corsair HX1050 80+ Sliver PSU

My PC is more than capable of running Skyrim, it is without a doubt an issue with the games' code and not a hardware issue. I've built and benchmarked the hell out of this rig, so know for a fact it's stable, it plays everything flawlessly, except for Skyrim. It's not a heat issue as this rig is water cooled with a triple radiator and the GPU's don't go above 40*C at full load, the CPU is slightly warmer but 60*C max is hardly cause for concern.

The strangest thing for me is there aren't any logs to speak of, nothing in event viewer or anywhere else so it makes this an especially difficult issue to debug. Keep offering your suggestions guys, it's much appreciated, if Bethesda are too lazy to figure this out then we are the only ones who can.

I'll do some testing of my own and report back!

The strangest thing for me is there aren't any logs to speak of, nothing in event viewer or anywhere else so it makes this an especially difficult issue to debug. Keep offering your suggestions guys, it's much appreciated, if Bethesda are too lazy to figure this out then we are the only ones who can.

I'll do some testing of my own and report back!

Yeah, I noticed the lack of anything useful in my crash logs. Please let us know what you find!

I'm starting to get white screen flashes and freezes on Skyrim with my New AMD 7870. I'm thinking it won't be much longer before it Black screens and hard crashes again. Got Dawnguard by the way. Crossbow is pretty cool. Still think it is just a vampire and Crossbow mod though. Hardly worth the 20 dollars I paid for it.