Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

Same here having random crashes both inside and outside. Inside usually when I go to go through a door to a "new" area. Outside if I'm trying to fast travel; there's a dragon about to appear and I'm not fast enough to tackle it; other random walkabouts which is so frustrating as I love just toddling round looking at everything.

Hope someone, somewhere comes up with something to sort this out. I've done everything Bethesda have told me to do and more to no avail.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys I've been experiencing the same issue..I replaced the api file with the original as well as updating sound and graphics driver...skyrim seems to be working better now, i'm not really sure as i only played it for about an hour and a half, but that's much better than before...my question is this...

i have a sony vaio laptop with intel core 2 duo t6600 and raedon mobility hd4500, both cores are running at around 90C each when im playing skyrim and around 50C when not...

Is this way too hot???

thanks

UPDATE: After replacing my entire skyrim folder with a backup from when i first installed it, as well as atiumdag.dll and deleting skyrim prefs api, I was able to play around 4 hours last night without a hard reset..I only experienced one crash to desktop...before i was lucky to play more than a hour without having my laptop turn off at least 2 times....Does anyone know if those cpu temps are too hot???

Edited by mlynch0403

So yeah... I upgraded to a 850 watt Pixxo PSU ( I know its not the best brand, but I was short on budget and Ive read good comments on this specific model) Everything seems to be running smoothly, not a single shutdown issue after a full day of gameplay. ( On high settings with mods)

I also experience the same "complete system" freeze, which require hard-reset. So random, sometime locked up right after loading a save file.

After reading most of this post and other tweaking forums, I had come up with the follow solution that at least works for me:

System spec:

i7-950

Geforce 570

Windows 7 64bit

Skyrim v1.3

What i have done is uninstall Realtek HD Audio driver, disable Nvidia HD Audio controller device manager in safe mode. Then, I dusted out and install my old Creative Audigy 2 PCI sound card and disable onboard Audio from my mobo's bios. Currently, i am able to run Skyrim in a much stable state. I've been able to play over 30+ hours (2 to 4 hours session I recollect) for over a week and have not encounter any lockup.

I think there maybe a compatibility issue between Realtek audio drivers and Skyrim's audio engine. One of my friend is using an USB Audio Interface instead of onboard audio have not encounter entire system lockup problem as well. This is just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

One of my friend is using an USB Audio Interface instead of onboard audio have not encounter entire system lockup problem as well. This is just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

I use a usb audio thingy and my game only ever crashes when I break it with a hundred mods which I then waste hours tinkering with. My roommate doesn't have crashes nor does he have a usb interface.

ok dude what the f***. Im trying to let these god damn drivers install and windows security keeps bitching about it cant verify the publisher of the driver software. i cant finish the install with this s*** butting in, how do i turn this off?

Just keep choosing the install option, after 20-30 tries it will work. Sadly those audio drivers didn't work for me though, good luck.

Yeah after the 30-somethingth try it worked, but the audio drivers did not fix the problem :'( . I give up, i'll still follow the thread but this game can go to hell.

Just go play something else for a while and come back - they'll get it soon, I'm sure. Not worth getting worked up over - there are plenty of games in the world. Actually, if they see their player base declining all of a sudden, perhaps it will light the fire under them to fix it sooner...

Hello guys.

Just reporting back. My monitor issues have now been resolved and I managed to play for 12 hours yesterday with absolutely no issues. Not even a CTD around riften which was common.

My fix? Dropped the .DLL file into skyrim dir. and ran the 4gb mod. Also ATI CCC is turned off.

Previously my game would CTD, and my monitors would shut off immediately when I opened my map for any reason. This happened for about 2 weeks before I came across my fixes.

If you are having the same issues, check out my post here -> http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/456889-skyrim-complete-pc-crashes/page__st__1070

FYI, I didn't have to deal with any audio driver upgrades. I run an onboard sound card via the ASUS M4A78_T.

To those who screamed PSU issue from the mountain tops, This is proof.

My rig.

AMD 955 Phenom II OC'ed to 3.8Ghz

Asus M4A78E-T

8GB Mushkin memory

Sapphire ATI 6950

Thx and I hope this helps.