Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

I think steam itself can cause complete crashes.

I had complete crashes constantly, and found out that there was a conflict between inofficial and official patches.

When i had removed the inofficial ones played without crashes.

But yesterday i had a complete crash again, this was while autosaving due to fast travel.

The difference was, that this time i was online with steam.

Today i played again, but offline, and had no crashes.

Maybe it's because of data-collecting...

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone with more technical knowledge than myself should look into the Object Detail Fade option. My PC was shutting down after a couple of minutes of Skyrim, and after turning off that setting I have yet to have a crash. This would possibly explain why crashes most often occur outside. Hopefully this will prove helpful.

How the f*** can you play offline?

My Skyrim won't even start if I'm in offline-mode..?

After following this (and other forums') thread and trying anything suggested with no success whatsoever, i finally gave this a shot. I started Steam in offline mode and have been playing Skyrim for several hours with no crashes which is absolutely unusual given the number of crashes i've been experiencing in the past couple of days. I simply couldn't play for more than 10 minutes without my rig crashing and rebooting.

I have no mods installed, just modified my .ini files for fov and mouse smoothing.

My rig's specs:

Win 7 home edition x64

Phenom II x4 965 BE (stock speed)

4 Gb DDR3 @1600 Mhz

MSI Radeon HD 4850 1 Gb factory overclocked

Corsair tx650w PSU

Antec Nine Hundred case w/ 5 fans

It's definitely not an overheating problem as i watched my temps (my vga never went over 48° c) and even while playing more demanding games (Witcher 2, Crysis 2, Battlefield 3) this has never happened to me before.

Has anyone tried this? Did it work for you too? I'll try to play some more and see what happens...

How the f*** can you play offline?

My Skyrim won't even start if I'm in offline-mode..?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-AGCB-2555

most stable is not to go online at all, just activate steam offline.

when i was online before i activated steam offline, it crashed also,

somewhat later than usual however.

When not online at all it took some hours to crash,

the other time i got tired before this could have happened whenever...

Don't know if this will help that many people but after weeks of trying to fix skyrim and eventually giving up I have finally stabilized the game.

I'd tried numerous fixes and things that were supposed to help to no avail, it was only when I lost interest and stopped caring about skyrim that the freezes/black screens crept into my other games. (Jedi Academy, Assassins Creed, etc.). I solved the issue in J.A. by getting rid of its Nvidia control panel profile. When I tried to do the same for skyrim it wouldn't let me delete it (damn nvidia to hell), so I downgraded to the whole setup with a clean install of the 270 driver/control panel. The 270 driver is so old that the control panel doesn't automatically make a skyrim profile, hence nvidia keeps its fingers out of the skyrim pie. Unfortunately FXAA was still causing problems but once it was deactivated I was able to play skyrim to my hearts content on nearly max graphics.

So to recap:

1. Uninstall your nvidia/catalyst everything.

2. Re-install a good driver that's old enough to not recognize/auto-profile skyrim. (2.5 for the love of Zeus, DO NOT make a skyrim profile in CCC or NCP)

3. Turn off skyrims AA, anistropic filtering and FXAA. (I havent tried any user made FXAA/AA/AF mods. Maybe they're okay, maybe not)

4. Profit.

I figured this out about 2 weeks ago. Didn't share immediately as I wanted to thoroughly test it out.- also I have steamless skyrim as I effing hate steam beyond measure and my game is version 1.3.1 (patched 1.3)

Really hope this helps.

Forgot to mention an odd, possibly important detail: GPUs should be fine up untill the 70-80+ degree area. With the nvidia control panel affecting things through profiles my 9500gt became unstable at about 65 degrees. No artifacts or anything that would indicate a dying card ever happened, just the black screen freezes. ( This unusual instability at low temps may explain why underclocking has worked for so many people- hopefully this is more convenient workaround.)

Forgot to mention another thing :S when using msi or rivatuner even just to underclock my card it caused the same kind of instability. It seems 3rd party GPU programs and skyrim just dont like to mix. Okay I swear that's the last edit. Good luck everyone.

Edited by kwantome

Don't know if this will help that many people but after weeks of trying to fix skyrim and eventually giving up I have finally stabilized the game.

I'd tried numerous fixes and things that were supposed to help to no avail, it was only when I lost interest and stopped caring about skyrim that the freezes/black screens crept into my other games. (Jedi Academy, Assassins Creed, etc.). I solved the issue in J.A. by getting rid of its Nvidia control panel profile. When I tried to do the same for skyrim it wouldn't let me delete it (damn nvidia to hell), so I downgraded to the whole setup with a clean install of the 270 driver/control panel. The 270 driver is so old that the control panel doesn't automatically make a skyrim profile, hence nvidia keeps its fingers out of the skyrim pie. Unfortunately FXAA was still causing problems but once it was deactivated I was able to play skyrim to my hearts content on nearly max graphics.

So to recap:

1. Uninstall your nvidia/catalyst everything.

2. Re-install a good driver that's old enough to not recognize/auto-profile skyrim. (2.5 for the love of Zeus, DO NOT make a skyrim profile in CCC or NCP)

3. Turn off skyrims AA, anistropic filtering and FXAA. (I havent tried any user made FXAA/AA/AF mods. Maybe they're okay, maybe not)

4. Profit.

I figured this out about 2 weeks ago. Didn't share immediately as I wanted to thoroughly test it out.- also I have steamless skyrim as I effing hate steam beyond measure and my game is version 1.3.1 (patched 1.3)

Really hope this helps.

Forgot to mention an odd, possibly important detail: GPUs should be fine up untill the 70-80+ degree area. With the nvidia control panel affecting things through profiles my 9500gt became unstable at about 65 degrees. No artifacts or anything that would indicate a dying card ever happened, just the black screen freezes. ( This unusual instability at low temps may explain why underclocking has worked for so many people- hopefully this is more convenient workaround.)

Forgot to mention another thing :S when using msi or rivatuner even just to underclock my card it caused the same kind of instability. It seems 3rd party GPU programs and skyrim just dont like to mix. Okay I swear that's the last edit. Good luck everyone.

Does anybody tried this on ATI? I would but I'm not sure if i could make this right, so if somebody succeed on that, please make a tutorial for the less experienced.

Just for the record, I tried to run portal 2 after give up on skyrim and I had the same issue. So I formatted my notebook and did only the necessary installations, but portal 2 still crashes as before.

^^ Should be the same for both nvidia and ati.

1. Download yourself an older version of your ati cards drivers from http://www.oldapps.com/ati.php (try and aim for drivers that are about a year or so old.)

2. when its installing there should be an option for a clean install - do it (this means that first it will completely get rid of all your current ati drivers and CCC profiles.)

3. Then turn off skyrims AA, anistropic filtering and FXAA.

4. Like I mentioned before, if you go into catalyst control center to where it has individual game profiles and if skyrim and portal are listed there then the driver was too recent. You need a driver/CCC that's old enough to not recognize/autoprofile skyrim, but new enough to not suck.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by kwantome