Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

Hey guys,

Ive recently built my own computer and really wanted to play Skyrim on it but when i play for an extended period, my PC will restart. This has only happened in Skyrim. Also, I've noticed that the duration that I can play before a sudden shutdown/restart increases if I lower the graphics settings. I've monitored my temps and they are normal so that is not the issue (as everyone else has already determined). It doesnt seem to matter where I am at in the game (dungeon, outside, etc) but it will still happen. I have tried downloading the atiumdag.dll file as a fix (someone posted the link a few pages ago) but that hasnt worked either. I have yet to try other solutions but someone (johad i think) posted a link to a mod which expands the memory capacity of skyrim. I will probably try this solution. If that doesnt work I will try underclocking my memory clock for my GPU using MSI Afterburner (many poeple have had success with this).

Here is my rig if anyone wants to know:

AMD Phenom 2 x4 965 Black @ 3.4 GHz

XFX Radeon 6870 1 GB DDR5

Corsair 650W power supply

Gigabyte 970A-UD3 MOBO

8 GB DDR3 RAm

I am running windows 64-bit

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Add me to the long list of folks getting a forced reboot from Skyrim. No other program--NO OTHER--does this.

My info:

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 6/6/2012, 15:19:12

Machine name: ME-AT-HOME

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.120402-0336)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion

System Model: KC787AV-ABA d4996t

BIOS: BIOS Date: 12/17/08 16:25:45 Ver: 5.21

Processor: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz

Memory: 3326MB RAM

Page File: 2090MB used, 4144MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 32bit Unicode

------------

DxDiag Notes

------------

Display Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 2: No problems found.

Sound Tab 3: No problems found.

Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------

DirectX Debug Levels

--------------------

Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)

DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)

DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)

DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)

DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)

DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)

DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce 8800 GTS

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0193&SUBSYS_042110DE&REV_A2

Display Memory: 2022 MB

Dedicated Memory: 615 MB

Shared Memory: 1407 MB

Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (59Hz)

Monitor: HP w2007 Wide LCD Monitor

Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll,nvwgf2um.dll

Driver Version: 8.17.0013.0142 (English)

DDI Version: 10

BGRA Supported: Yes

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 5/15/2012 06:26:00, 15322432 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

WHQL Date Stamp:

Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-42D3-11CF-E073-2C241CC2C535}

Vendor ID: 0x10DE

Device ID: 0x0193

SubSys ID: 0x042110DE

Revision ID: 0x00A2

Revision ID: 0x00A2

Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeVC1_B ModeWMV9_B ModeVC1_A ModeWMV9_A

Deinterlace Caps: {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_Stret

I have the exact same issue and graphics card as OP. It seems to me that there are some issues with many games when it comes to this card. There was a fix for a while, but apparently the latest patch breaks it. The fix was a .dll file that was inserted into Skyrim's directory.

I hate forcing a hard restart. I hope there's a fix soon.

I tried the sound setting fix and the .ini fix, no dice.

Steam tech help got back to me, useless advice (throw out almost everything and restart)

This is getting crazy.

Basically Windhelm is broken for me thus breaking the game. I cannot fast travel there I cannot "coc windhelm" I try to walk there and on the corner of the wall there is a corrupt symbol and if I get to the city matter which way I come from land, air bridge it crashes to the desktop. I used to be able to play this game with no errors but now no matter what I do this happens. I have tried with and without mods I have completely reinstalled windows to try and get it to work but no. I have tried with vanilla and update 8-9 but none of them work all three have same problem. Someone for the love of god please help me before I take a gun to Bethesda for killing my game.

p.s don't know if this is important but character is well was a Dark elf/Dunmer.

I had gotten into the habit of resetting to Default in the AMD Catalyst center as soon as I wanted to play any game. Even though I never changed them afterwards. Skyrim, Battlefield 3, ARMA 2, Crysis 2 and Deus Ex HR are my affected games.

One thing I did find was that I had played around with Afterburner, apparently, at some point, reset that to default, and no freezing problems for any of the above (fingers crossed), and I just confirmed with the 1.6 Skyrim update since I haven't started any game in over a week.

I would recommend resetting any single thing you can find that does anything to your hardware, especially the chips. I tend to find and download all kinds of well-reviewed tools for analysis, speed and optimization, and never use them again, or rarely. Afterburner must have been something I used from the install disk before I upgraded to quad core and totally forgot about once I could play Crysis 2 at Ultra (my benchmark at the time). Plus the duplication from Catalyst.

Hope something in this helps!

I have an update finally!!!

Ok so i tried underclocking the memory clock on the GPU. That didn't work.

I also tried downloading that atiumdag.dll file on a youtube video that was posted pages ago. That also didnt work.

However, on page 131 of this forum GuardianPL posted a fix from another forum and a way to disable v-sync. I also disabled AA and AF from the game options and am using my video card options instead. Now....instead of getting a complete PC shutdown, I get a CTD, at least for this one time of playing. I will continue to play more to see if it happens constantly. But at least this is a shift in the right direction.

Hope this helps!