Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

The only offer of assistance I can give that has worked for me is Reset Everything to Default. If you have an AMD video card, this may help: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/TroubleshootingGameIssues.aspx.

Certainly Nvidia would have similar troubleshooting guides.

Don't forget some programs that you may have not used in awhile that overclock or have anything to do with the CPU or GPU. In my case, Afterburner was set and forgotten.

I hope this helps at least someone.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

since a week or something I got the same issue. After a completely random time off playing and at a random place, my monitor turns black and says "no signal detected" After about 5 seconds the sounds hangs. I cannot turn the monitor back on. It only works when I am rebooting/reseting my computer. I updated my drivers, my system. Nothing works. It is very frustrating.

I am running an ATI HD 6900 Series and Win 7 64-bit. Well it seems that, since the latest patch it even happens more often. So I do not know how to fix this or what is the reason for this. My computer was running Skyrim totally fine until about one week ago. I could play for hours but suddenly I can be glad if I can play 1 hour.

BUT I HAVE AN IDEA!!! I have an ENB enabled and when I turn it off it seems that the game is running fine. So the question now is if you have an ENB enabled.

EDIT: It works! I turned of the ENB and played for more than two hours now without crashing. I changed the graphic settings from Ultra to High too. Well if you have an ENB, turn it off, maybe it will work for you as well ;)

Edited by KingUggi

I can't play Skyrim at all again it just black screens and I have to shutdown the computer completely and start it all up again. When the computer restarts windows 7 states it was major crash. My dad who is not a gamer at all and probably never will be unless it involves him being in a super realistic flight simulator said we should take legal action against Bethesda for this as it is no doubt damaging our computers. I know from years of experience with these types of crashes that it is true. I've lost entire systems to black screen crashes back in the early 2000's. I think it is appalling that nearly 9 months later Bethesda has done nothing to fix this major problem. Perhaps threatening with legal action may be the only way for them to get off their greedy fat asses and do something about it. It's made me think twice about buying games at 70+ Dollars. I was doing that to support Bethesda so they can improve and make more games. It seems my money has been used to help fill their coffers and nothing more. I thought Bethesda would eventually fix this seeing as they fixed most of the issues in Fallout 3. Edited by writer2036

I CAN PLAY AND I´M SO HAPPY !!!

Sorry for my english

I was able to play for about 3 mins my pc crash with no sound and needed hard reset, tired and with love i uninstailled everything with revo uninstaller, Skyrim, Nexus manager my save files, even the folder located in c:\Local disk\user\appdata( hidden folder )\local\Skyrim, clean with ccleaner. Then i installed the game and the last patch, my compatibillaty is unchecked, download nexus menager and i put this mods-Deus Mons - Dimonized female body - Immersive armors - Jaysus Swords - Skyrim Redone - Monster Mod - Started the luncher put all in default options and exit dont start from here. start tesv.exe.

Hope that helps

Edited by batmal

Hey guys,

I have two new fixes for you that might eventually work on your machines...one works on mine. I am playing since two days without any crah.

All other proposals here in the thread I already tried without long-term success.

1. Especially if you have overclocked your CPU (but seems to work on PCs without OC as well) disable following CPU options in your BIOS:

C1E Support

CPU TM fuction

Intel ® SpeedStep ™ Tech

All these functions are in relation with down-clocking the CPU to reduce power consumtion and heat.

The hereby occuring switch between different CPU frequencies can lead to problems.

Options listed above are for an Intel CPU but for AMD there must be quite similar ones.

This fix did not help me.

2. Install this antifreeze-patch:

http://enbdev.com/download_patch_skyrim.htm

In my case it helped...hope the crashes stay away.

Cheers

I've been having this issue as well. I don't think it has anything to do with graphics settings, because it happens to me even when I'm running in low graphics mode.

Something that has worked for me though, is manually saving my game every few minutes. Just let the auto-save do it's thing but save on your own every so often, and save to the same file every time (it doesn't work if you're making new files or saving to the auto-save files). I know this isn't really a "fix", but it stops the crashes from happening. I went from crashes every 10-20 minutes to playing this game for a few hours straight without a single crash by doing this trick.

I hope this helps you guys.

Like a lot of people, I tried every solution listed here and nothing worked. I have plenty of posts itt from way back when lol. Anyway, much to my amazement after nearly a year, I FINALLY FOUND A SOLUTION!!!

I bought SR3 during the Steam summer sale and it was doing the same s***, but these are the only two games that crash my system. So I start more hours and hours of research. I still refused to believe it was a hardware problem, and it turns out it is and isn't. Well, it could be either one, but I'm still leaning towards the code in these games or something screwy with the GPU drivers, maybe a combo of both. Either way, here's how I fixed it and have been playing both games without system crashes for 2 days now, before it was 5 minutes or less.

It's simple, DISABLE 2D CLOCKS ON YOUR GPU.

After all this time it was that easy, and I don't recall ever seeing this solution posted to fix it. For some reason my card was slipping into 2D clock speeds during gameplay which was causing the crashes, as it should at those low speeds trying to handle demanding graphics. So everyone who has lost all hope should give it a whirl, especially if you have a 6870 like me, which seems to still be the biggest offender. If the option isn't there or isn't working in CCC try downloading your card manufacturer's specific GPU tool, which in my case was HIS iTurbo. (Afterburner for MSI, Trixx for Saphire, etc) I never tried in CCC tbqh, but iTurbo does the trick for me.

I hope this works for some desperate folks out there, good luck!

Edit: Just a small warning, disabling your 2D clocks will make your GPU idle at higher temps. Make sure you have good cooling.

Edited by voldoman

Hola

It's me, the OP again, funny thing, check the date on the OP and check the date of this reply.

Skyrim still gives me the same problem, months of trying to fix this, I don't even believe any of the "I FIXED IT!!!! DO THIS!!" posts anymore as they do not help and quite frankly I've tried so many I'm tired of trying any more.

This is the only game that gives me this problem, it is the only game that has ever given me this problem ever since I started gaming 20 years ago.

None of their patches work, none of the other people's mods of so called "antifreeze" mods work.

This may actually be the very first time I say this, as I've found other people saying it quite childish, but I mailed their tech support again and if they can't help me (again) I will never buy another game from Bethesda, download it sure, maybe after a couple of pirated versions of their games (and them working) I will concider purchasing another one.

I agree Zolexus. It's appalling how Bethesda has done nothing to fix this major crash problem after almost a year now. What really gets my goat though is they will fix things that hardly matter like how the water looks and things that are just merely aethestic. Yet when it comes to serious errors and crashes they do nothing about it. I paid full price for this game when it first came out. Never again will I do that again especially with Bethesda. They need to get their fingers out of their lazy asses and fix this. They created it they should fix it. Also I am the same with Zolnexus. Nothing has worked for me as well to fix it or if it has worked it is only for a few days at the very most and it's back to square one.

I have recently started getting this issue after playing Skyrim for the first time after a fresh install of Windows.

The game worked perfectly from the release of the game and then for a few days of playing after reinstalling Windows (Was playing Dawnguard). The game would work for about 5 minutes and then I got a black screen/sound hanging and had to force my computer to reboot, I then started having the same issue with Minecraft. I started to think it was either my graphics card failing or the drivers, so I completely wiped the driver off of my computer in safe mode and installed new ones and it fixed the crashing on Minecraft and seemingly solved the issue with Skyrim until after an hour of playing that the same crash happened again. But this time only Skyrim seems to crash. I ran several stress tests on my graphics card to see if that was the cause of the fail and not once did it overheat, crash or anything. I also played Saints Row the Third for 3 hours without a single issue and that makes my computer work a lot harder than Skyrim. So I am ruling out the GPU being the issue here, it has to be Skyrim surely.

I will post back if I find a solution.