Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

Can you tell me how to disable 2D clock. I am using MSI afterburener and cant find option

Do you have a MSI card?

Hm I'm hesitant to disable 2D clocking on GPU as I don't like to fiddle around with standard options that make the GPU run the way it does just for one game.

I'm not on a laptop and have a very good power supply.

I don't run a laptop and also have a good PSU (Antec EA 650, rated 9.0 on JonnyGURU) I'm telling you, give it a try. Disabling the 2D clocks won't hurt your GPU if you have decent cooling. It's not energy efficient but not really harmful either. I've felt your pain, frustration, anger, and like you tried every fix in this thread to no avail. This fixed it 100% for me, and it's a huge relief off my shoulders despite my GPU having to idle at 49 degrees.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you tell me how to disable 2D clock. I am using MSI afterburener and cant find option

Do you have a MSI card?

Hm I'm hesitant to disable 2D clocking on GPU as I don't like to fiddle around with standard options that make the GPU run the way it does just for one game.

I'm not on a laptop and have a very good power supply.

I don't run a laptop and also have a good PSU (Antec EA 650, rated 9.0 on JonnyGURU) I'm telling you, give it a try. Disabling the 2D clocks won't hurt your GPU if you have decent cooling. It's not energy efficient but not really harmful either. I've felt your pain, frustration, anger, and like you tried every fix in this thread to no avail. This fixed it 100% for me, and it's a huge relief off my shoulders despite my GPU having to idle at 49 degrees.

Well I have a pretty standard cooling system, I dunno if it'll handle it, don't dare fry the thing ;P I guess I could monitor the GPU temperatures when I use that option, what temperature is too high?

• 2 weeks later...
People still on this topic? I've been having the same problem with complete crashing on a 9800gt since i got skyrim and haven't found a fix yet. Have yall made any progress on what could help? I didn't really read all 151 pages. Any help would really be appreciated because i've already tried just about everything including a whole new psu.

Okay I have a new theory that this is caused by certain motherboard and cpu combinations that Skyrim does not play nice with because I have played skyrim on other computers with graphic cards like the Nvidia 9800 GT and HD 5000 series AMD graphics cards with no crashing at all. I think Skyrim hates working with all FX series AMD Processors. From Single core right up to octo cores. It also seems to hate many Newer high end Asus Motherboards too. So why can't Bethesda fix this? In two more months it will have been a year since this issue began. It's not a minor issue either. They need to focus on fixing on what is still broken for many people instead of bringing out DLC that essentially comprises of Crossbows, Vampires and Housing mods.

Writer,

Don't get me started...I'm still waiting for Dawnguard for the PS3 also....

[/quote

It's not out on PS3 yet? That really sucks sorry to hear that. Well I just bought and installed a better and newer AMD Graphics card. An HD 7870 2GB OC. If skyrim doesn't crash at all using this card then I will know for certain that it was the 6870 it hates. If it does crash bad again then it I'll also know it does not work with AMD products. Has any Nvidia users had this crash?