Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

If you have clicking, you can't get Ultra with that card and it crashes on High, then I am sorry to say but you have bigger problems. And I speak as someone who had heap big problems recently. (Like new HDD, MOBO, CPU and PSU big) I think you may have some particularly unhappy hardware there.

Yes, try to locate the clicking.

If it's your HD, then that is dying.

If you are lucky it's just a wonky moboard fan that is causing problems--that was PART of my problem with crashes. When I went to change out my vid card, I discovered that one of my fans was out also; got a new one on that and now I can play on Medium (I have an older box) and I am a happy camper.

A wonky fan may be causing spontaneous shutdowns if the BIOS-controlled fans can't be reached; that may cause the clicking. The blackscreen is then the result of the moboard saying "OH NOEZ TOO HOT MUST SHUT DOWN NOW!!!.

Open up the side, and watch everything or have a friend do so and try to see if all fans are running. Also try to cause a crash and see if that causes fan action.

Edited by Threemoons

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
just wanted to say disabling 2d clocks via asus gputweak works for me when previously i could play for maybe 10-15 minutes with a high spec enb on and an hour or so with no directx hooky stuff whatsoever. get lots of soft crashes, like 2 an hour? but it's nothing compared to having to hard reset my computer

Yessss! At last it works - at least for the last three hours without blackscreen...

It was the same problem that many described here: At first the game worked great, but after some days of playing (5-10 hours each session) suddenly it crashed down while walking in Whiterun and after that at random other places - blackscreen, the music played for a while then stopped. No choice but to push the power button... This error occurred in shorter periods of time. In the end the longest playtime was about 20 min, the shortest a few seconds. And completely random! No matter if inside or outside, no matter which place.

Very annoying, making the game unplayable.

The solution from Neverlight did the trick!

After trying various settings for the graphic card, updating every driver that might be related, shutting down every mod, deleting all the saves, reinstallling the game, installing anti-freeze patches, etc. etc. etc. it became very clear, that the system wasn't the problem, but the game was.

Finally, the changes in the preferences .ini file worked! I don't know how or why, but it worked!

Even if it will crash after a few hours - that's ok, it's definetely an improvement. But it hasn't yet... we're very optimistic!

Here is the post from Neverlight (05 December 2011), as was also posted from kimeshin, who was also successful with this fix (16 March 2012 ):

-------

Neverlight, on 05 December 2011 - 09:25 PM, said:

Finally since yesterdy i managed to play skyrim for 4 hours without a single hard reset or a ctd.

First time after i installed the game i was able to play for around an hour, but the next day the game was completely broken for me. The longest time ingame was NEVER more than 5 minutes until i had to hard reset my pc (black screen) and the shortest time was 3 seconds.

I guess i spent more than 15 hours in reading forumthreads and trying every hint i could get to solve my problem but to no avail since yesterday.

BTW i was able to play Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas and a lot of other games without a single crash so Skyrim was the first time i heard about the problems with this bethesda game engine.

So i knewfor sure my hardware was ok.

I tried EVERYTHING in correlation with this bug. Currently i'm running with these settings....

- Newest ATI drivers

- d3d9.dll

- enbdev

- no mods (since i wasn't able to play the game more than 5 minutes i never tried one)

- atiumdag.dll

So far i was still crashing

But then i found an article in a german magazine (PC Games) and i thought i have nothing to lose so i gave it a try:

- First off in Options , i choose ULTRA and unmark fxaa and "fade out object details" (not sure if its the correct translation for this because i have the german version)

- Now i opened SkyrimPrefs.ini (Under Documents -> MyGames -> Skyrim) and changed the following settings:

- bMouseAcceleration=0 (change it to 0)

- iBlurDeferredShadowMask=3 (change it to 1)

- iShadowFilter=3 (change it to 4)

- fShadowLODStartFade=200.0000 (change it to 1000.0000)

- fTreesMidLODSwitchDist=0.0000 (change it to 10000000.0000)

- bTreesReceiveShadows=0 (change it to 1)

- uiMaxSkinnedTreesToRender=20 (change it to 40)

- iWaterMultiSamples=0 (change it to 4)

- iWaterReflectHeight=512 (change it to 1024)

- iWaterReflectWidth=512 (change it to 1024)

And now i added the following lines at the and of SkyrimPrefs.ini:

- bUseWaterReflectionBlur=1

- bReflectExplosions=1

- iWaterBlurAmount=4

- bAutoWaterSilhouetteReflections=0

- bForceHighDetailreflections=1

Don't know what exactly made my game run but before i find out , i will finally enjoy skyrim now first.

BTW i have a core2duo 2.66 GHz, WIN 7 64bit, 4 GB RAM and an ATI 5770 graphics card, but Skyrim runs like a charm with these settings.

Thanks for all the help guys....and shame on you Bethesda , to let us alone for this long time after the release of the game, without being able to play the game.

Only help i had was the community....

----------

After modifying the .ini file, the game at first didn't run smoothly, but after changing the graphic settings in the game to "middle" and a lower resolution it worked fine! It's amazing - no crashes so far!

Here are the specs:

NVIDIA GeForce 9800GTS

Intel Dual Core 2.53 Ghz

3 GB RAM

And Win XP SP3 - it's not only a Win7-error!

Perhaps this can help someone else! It works! Yay! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yessss! At last it works - at least for the last three hours without blackscreen...

It was the same problem that many described here: At first the game worked great, but after some days of playing (5-10 hours each session) suddenly it crashed down while walking in Whiterun and after that at random other places - blackscreen, the music played for a while then stopped. No choice but to push the power button... This error occurred in shorter periods of time. In the end the longest playtime was about 20 min, the shortest a few seconds. And completely random! No matter if inside or outside, no matter which place.

Very annoying, making the game unplayable.

The solution from Neverlight did the trick!

After trying various settings for the graphic card, updating every driver that might be related, shutting down every mod, deleting all the saves, reinstallling the game, installing anti-freeze patches, etc. etc. etc. it became very clear, that the system wasn't the problem, but the game was.

Finally, the changes in the preferences .ini file worked! I don't know how or why, but it worked!

Even if it will crash after a few hours - that's ok, it's definetely an improvement. But it hasn't yet... we're very optimistic!

Here is the post from Neverlight (05 December 2011), as was also posted from kimeshin, who was also successful with this fix (16 March 2012 ):

-------

Neverlight, on 05 December 2011 - 09:25 PM, said:

Finally since yesterdy i managed to play skyrim for 4 hours without a single hard reset or a ctd.

First time after i installed the game i was able to play for around an hour, but the next day the game was completely broken for me. The longest time ingame was NEVER more than 5 minutes until i had to hard reset my pc (black screen) and the shortest time was 3 seconds.

I guess i spent more than 15 hours in reading forumthreads and trying every hint i could get to solve my problem but to no avail since yesterday.

BTW i was able to play Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas and a lot of other games without a single crash so Skyrim was the first time i heard about the problems with this bethesda game engine.

So i knewfor sure my hardware was ok.

I tried EVERYTHING in correlation with this bug. Currently i'm running with these settings....

- Newest ATI drivers

- d3d9.dll

- enbdev

- no mods (since i wasn't able to play the game more than 5 minutes i never tried one)

- atiumdag.dll

So far i was still crashing

But then i found an article in a german magazine (PC Games) and i thought i have nothing to lose so i gave it a try:

- First off in Options , i choose ULTRA and unmark fxaa and "fade out object details" (not sure if its the correct translation for this because i have the german version)

- Now i opened SkyrimPrefs.ini (Under Documents -> MyGames -> Skyrim) and changed the following settings:

- bMouseAcceleration=0 (change it to 0)

- iBlurDeferredShadowMask=3 (change it to 1)

- iShadowFilter=3 (change it to 4)

- fTreesMidLODSwitchDist=0.0000 (change it to 10000000.0000)

- bTreesReceiveShadows=0 (change it to 1)

- uiMaxSkinnedTreesToRender=20 (change it to 40)

- iWaterMultiSamples=0 (change it to 4)

- iWaterReflectHeight=512 (change it to 1024)

- iWaterReflectWidth=512 (change it to 1024)

And now i added the following lines at the and of SkyrimPrefs.ini:

- bUseWaterReflectionBlur=1

- bReflectExplosions=1

- iWaterBlurAmount=4

- bAutoWaterSilhouetteReflections=0

- bForceHighDetailreflections=1

Don't know what exactly made my game run but before i find out , i will finally enjoy skyrim now first.

BTW i have a core2duo 2.66 GHz, WIN 7 64bit, 4 GB RAM and an ATI 5770 graphics card, but Skyrim runs like a charm with these settings.

Thanks for all the help guys....and shame on you Bethesda , to let us alone for this long time after the release of the game, without being able to play the game.

Only help i had was the community....

----------

After modifying the .ini file, the game at first didn't run smoothly, but after changing the graphic settings in the game to "middle" and a lower resolution it worked fine! It's amazing - no crashes so far!

Here are the specs:

NVIDIA GeForce 9800GTS

Intel Dual Core 2.53 Ghz

3 GB RAM

And Win XP SP3 - it's not only a Win7-error!

Perhaps this can help someone else! It works! Yay! :)

I tried all of it to the T but it didnt help my case whats more saddening is that aside from my PC being a core 2 duo all the remaining specs of my pc are ditto ..idk if declocking my GPU would be a geat idea since in dubai heat is a major issue considering the side panels to my CPU have been removed since i got it :P ..however im willing to give that a try as well..but it would be highly appreciated if you or anyone on the forum could direct me to a guide as to how i could accurately and safely declock my GPU as mentioned i have a NVIDIA GeForce 9800GTS as well with the latest drivers installed ...infact i couldnt find the following line in SkyrimPrefs bMouseAcceleration=0...but i doubt it has to do a lot with it ...but yes..if someone could point me towards a guide it would be highly appreciated thanks in advance :)

• 2 weeks later...
in dubai heat is a major issue considering the side panels to my CPU have been removed since i got it :P

I think you are making matters worse by removing the side panels as you are creating pockets of heat without an air current to cool them. Unless you are blowing air from large fans in both directions, its best that you put the side panels back (and generally invest in a efficient PC case, water cooling or even active cooling). BTW, I am using my PC in a very hot area (room temperature reaches 40 Celcius' degrees in summer) and investing in water cooling was definitely a good idea.

Anyway, I would never accept that freezing is a Skyrim issue but rather a hardware/driver issue instead; what fixed the problem in my case was:

1) Updated my ati drivers to 12.10 beta (driver version 9.010 for WinXP 32bit)

2) Removed the CCC panel completely (next time I'm not going to install this nonsense again, I'll install the barebones driver from the device manager). This was definitely a major cause of my problems as even the new drivers would freeze when the CCC was running.

3) Disabled the ATI hotkey poller service (which probably comes with CCC)

4) ATI tray tools provides all my tweaking needs (and much more than CCCrap)

I found that the best way to check for the issue is the uphill road from Winterhold, just behind Birna's to the Saarthal direction. Go up and down that road multiple times, and if you have the problem your PC will freeze.

Since I did the above 2 months ago, I played the game (quite a lot during Christmas) without a single freeze.

Edited by axonis

I hate to admit that my problem is gone now since i upgrade to hd 7850...My previous hd 6770 gave me hard reset crashes from day one with skyrim and i had it one month when i bought skyrim. So i think some cards have buggy clocks or drivers and it isn't a game problem because now with the same pc except the gpu the problem is gone.

Another thing that I noted:

If I boot up Steam and start playing Skyrim right away, it will crash to desktop...in order to display Steam's pesky "update" popups (usually for sales/games I will never buy).

When I then restart the game, post-stupid-popup, I'm good for hours usually.

So, try starting Steam earlier and let it run for a bit until you get to the annoying popups and then play?