Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

Hi Soviet

It seems like your computer can handle ultra setting on a hardware based level but visually it can't. You should first try toning down shadows to medium or low Low is better off is better even still on any game in my opinion. Most of the graphical hold ups are usually caused by lighting and shadow settings I have found. Also just try running it on high settings and see if that solves the graphical issues. Also may I please ask what graphics card you have please?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Instead of CTD my game freezes completely, but no black screen. My laptop is still running. Skyrim sounds are still playing. I can't Ctrl-alt-del out or anything, I too have to manually shut down and restart my computer. This hasn't started happening until I got to save 400, over 200 hours of gameplay(maybe that has something to do with it idk). I use over 100 mods, mostly just small things. I play on the lowest settings(with texture on medium, I don't like the cubes on faces on low)

Instead of CTD my game freezes completely, but no black screen. My laptop is still running. Skyrim sounds are still playing. I can't Ctrl-alt-del out or anything, I too have to manually shut down and restart my computer. This hasn't started happening until I got to save 400, over 200 hours of gameplay(maybe that has something to do with it idk). I use over 100 mods, mostly just small things. I play on the lowest settings(with texture on medium, I don't like the cubes on faces on low)

Hi Superthero

I think this might be corrupted save files as I have personally experienced Skyrim become unstable at over save 100 and I have also found that if you have over 50 mods installed Skyrim starts to become unstable with that as well. It's not the case for everyone but those two things have definitely been for me and I have an exceedingly powerful computer that runs Skyrim on custom Ultra settings and Witcher 2 on Uber settings with almost no lag at all. If it is corrupted save files then that really will suck but first try disabling about 50 big and script heavy mods you don't need. Then start up the game again and see how it runs. I hope this information helps you.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see they STILL haven't fixed the problem, even after all this time.... Guess they just don't care, or they are not capable of isolating the problem. I for sure won't damage my rig with this faulty and terribly optimized product, with fundamental flaws in the code. So no Skyrim for me until this atrocity is fixed, which I strongly doubt they ever will...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sooo after all this time there is no fix :) As someone stated, my crashes happen mostly during some flashing magic effects at random rate. No problems with any other game, just skyrim magic.

I had better opinion of Bethesda, now it´s gone.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got same problem with rebooting. It happens in random locations and time. Getting black screen and then few seconds later sound is crashing and PC shutdown. I've tried everything reinstalling game/windows/drivers/patches/mods nothing helped.. My pc spec is: athlon x4 620 2.6 ghz, 4gb ram 1333, HD 6870 1gb HIS, 550W chieftec PSU. Im playing BF3 and other games and didnt had problems like these;/

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Is there really still no fix for this? After 2 years of complaints!? Ugh, this is frustrating.

My computer is constantly crashing, just like everyone else. Every other game I play works great and on high settings (Black Ops, Just Cause 2, Farcry 3, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, etc.) I'm not against altering my system in order to get the game to work, so if someone finds a fix, that's great, but it sucks that we should have to do that.

Anyway, I'll post details below to help show that it isn't our systems, and is in fact a problem with the game. Also, I'm an IT Field Systems Engineer, so hopefully that will help let you know that the things I've tried so far have been thorough and complete.

--------------------------------------------------------
System details...

- Sony VAIO VPC-F115FB
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition
- Intel Quad-Core i7-720QM / 1.6 GHz - 2.8 GHz Max Turbo
- 6GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz ( 1x4GB + 1x2GB )
- 500GB HDD / 5400.0 rpm - 50GB FREE
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M - 1GB Dedicated VRAM with 3831.0 MB Total Available Graphics Memory - 575MHz clock - 790MHz Mem - 1265MHz Shader
- NVIDIA GeForce Driver 331.82 - WHQL

Game Details

- Legal Steam version

- Updated to 1.9.32.0

- Installed into default Steam directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\

- Full read/write admin priviledges given to everyone for this directory

- Start as administrator checked for TESV.exe, SKSE_loader.exe, and SBW.exe

- Sometimes using SKSE (Crashes occur either way)

- Sometimes use SBW with Skyrim in Windowed mode (Crashes occur either way)

What Happens...

System crashes randomly with black/blank screen with stuttered audio, then disconnects video 1-3 seconds after. PC then hard shuts down on it's own.

Crashes occur...
- in different locations (cities, towns, dungeons, open areas, etc.
- inside and outside
- Light and dark areas
- areas with high particles and low particles
- with and without mods
- new games with and without mods
- saved games with and without mods
- with and without ENB
- with and without Shadows
- with and without FXAA
- with and without MSAA
- with and without Vertical Sync
- with and without Anisotropic Filtering
- with and without Vertical Sync

- High and Low GPU%

- High and Low VRAM usage

- High and Low RAM Usage

What I've tried so far...

- Tried using framerate limiters and custom d3d9.dlls

- ended all non system background processes and services

- Used Razor Game Booster

- Scanned system for Malware (none)

- disabled Anti-virus, indexer, backups, updates, etc, while playing the game)

- cleaned registry of all bad or missing entries

- ran system file checker - no inconsistencies

- ran check disk on primary HDD - no inconsistencies

- defragmented HDD

- Defragmented game folder

- Changed System Audio to 16 bits, 44100 Hz (CD Quality)

- Re-installed GPU Drivers (Clean install using Driver Sweeper) - still crashed

- uninstalled Skyrim and removed all registry entries, app data, game data, etc.

- Re-Installed Skyrim with no modifications

- Ran new game with no mods - still crashed

- Lowered all Graphics settings to lowest quality in .ini - still crashed

- Raised all Graphics settings to Highest quality in .ini- crashed, but looked good while doing it :wink:

- Monitored GPU Temp (Default clock speeds)

usually never over 60*C, High of 61*C, low of 46*C, average between 48*C-54*C. So it's NOT an overheating issue (Though for some it may be overheating causing your PC to crash, but it is not related to this issue, as this is usually only Bethesda, Gamebryo games as I've seen so far).

- Monitored CPU Temp - Usually 55*C

- Ran Furmark Benchmark - no artifacts, no crashes, no other issues

- Ran ATI tool Benchmark tests - no artifacts, no crashes, no other issues

- Tested VRAM using Video Memory Stress Test - no errors

- Tested RAM using Memtest86 - no errors
- Monitored GPU Usage usually between 40-80%, some spikes to 80% or 99% in large battles, but not for very long. Crashes at 40% or 99%, doesn't matter.

- Underclocked GPU - Underclocked Clock from 575MHz to 550MHz, Mem from 790MHz to 720MHz, Shader from 1265MHz to 1225MHz - still crashed

- Overclocked GPU - overclocked Clock from 575MHz to 600MHz, Mem from 790MHz to 820MHz, Shader from 1265MHz to 1330MHz - still crashed

Windows Errors (Reliability Monitor)

I have TONS of these errors, and although they are hardware/driver related, they are only triggered by Skyrim (bad coding and memory referencing maybe? idk)

===================================

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem
WD-20131208-0355.dmp
sysdata.xml
WERInternalMetadata.xml

View a temporary copy of these files
Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 117
BCP1: FFFFFA800BBF94E0
BCP2: FFFFF88005B9FE30
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1
===================================

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000117 (0xfffffa800dccd010, 0xfffff8800f568e64, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\Minidump\120813-57455-01.dmp. Report Id: 120813-57455-01.

That about covers it all

Hopefully this helps, and hopefully a fix is found SOONER than later. Skyrim is my favorite game and I can't stand not being able to play for more than 20 minutes without a system crash. I'm constantly worried about when the next crash will be!

Hi SecretAgent99

I am pretty sure the cause of these crashes are related to Betheda's game code disagreeing and conflicting with certain graphic cards. I could not get Skyrim to work at all either when I had a AMD HD 6870 1GB graphics card running. Once I switched to a AMD HD 7870 2GB OC the crashing stopped. Although I still do get weird flashing and clicking noises from extended play time. I think it all boils down to the fact that Bethesda never properly optimized and made sure most graphics cards work with the game. It just seems like a giant hardware incompatibility issue from what I have learned from trial and error. I also tried a Nvidia GTX560 OC 1GB graphics card and it too had the severe crashing issues. So definitely both Brands of Graphics card manufacturers are effected. Bethesda also seems to have no intention of fixing these incompatibility issues which really sucks for us and I definitely will not be pre-ordering or paying full price for a bethesda game ever again.