Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

just browsing through the pages on steam and here

happening here sadly aswell, crying at the amount that i have hard reset my pc in the last 24 hours :(

BUT

"PS3 & 360 updates have been submitted for certification. PC coming too. Current estimate is they will be live the week after T’giving,"

there is hope

( quote from an article on steam :) )

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a guess: could it be related to the Frostbite engine ? When a program stops working, we are usually taken back to the desktop since we have left the win98 era. This is why I think of some kind of library which would contain a bug with sufficient power to make the hardware reset (guess: 3D acceleration). I also noticed users complaining about the same crashes with Battlefield 3 or NFS the run (games also using this 3D engine AFAIK).

Again, it's just a guess, and maybe nothing more than a stupid idea.

Thanks for contributing, but this game runs on the Creation Engine, not Frostbite. I doubt the issues are related.

Hmm, for a Bethesda Game it runs remarkebly stable on my PC. I had an issue, that the game used to freeze frequently for a few seconds in outside territories and very, VERY rarely it stayed freezed with sound still playing. Usually I could alt-tab the game and just restart it and if not, the PC would still shut down properly. After increasing the games memory usage to 2GB in the skyrim.ini file, the freezes practically vanished and it only happened ones at an autosave after a few hours in so I guess it's practically gone.

By the way, I actually overclocked my CPU (and the RAM in the process) for the first time ever to play skyrim at higher settings and it didn't have any effect on its stability whatsoever (already a few days since). I just want to give you guys a counterperspective because Skyrim has been remarkably stable for such a huge game so far with very few freezes and even less after I used the RAM usage fix (which I did after the overclocking, by the way).

I still have a tip though because Zolexus's problem reminds me of something I had with other games and a different graphics card. I had an XFX HD4870 before and in two games it crashed every five minutes with the picture turning gradually white or the monitor shutting off - in either case forcing me to cold reboot. ANY other games ran fine! After some research I found out that I actually had to underclock the graphics card memory from 900 (factory settings) to 800mhz and NOT the GPU and voila, everything ran fine. After that I exchanged the card for an HD4870 form sapphire and the issues disappeared. Maybe the memoryunderclocking is worth trying out for your kind of problem.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I also use the ENB Series dll file lately - this could also have a positive effect on stability: ENB Series Downloads

Edited by CaptainShiny

So, why has no one answered me? How do you lower the CPU processor rate?

Help us Nvidia card owners in need!

Control panel--->power options---->change plan settings--->change advanced power settings---->expand processor power options--->expand maxium processor state

i've changed mine to 70% this worked for me i played tonight for 4 hours before that i was getting 30 mins or less

i have Nv Quadro 2800M

There you go.

Just a guess: could it be related to the Frostbite engine ? [..]

Again, it's just a guess, and maybe nothing more than a stupid idea.

Thanks for contributing, but this game runs on the Creation Engine, not Frostbite. I doubt the issues are related.

You are right, obviously I mixed different things together. Sorry for the noise !

No one's game is freezing, Captainshiny... so you're on the wrong thread.

Just read the second part with the graphics memory underclocking - the problems I fixed with that sound similar to Zolexus's.

With the first part I just wanted to say that it runs stable on my system (maybe I rambled to much - sry about that). I'll edit it to make things clear.

Edited by CaptainShiny

I edited the original post of all things tried and failed already. Please read that first, nevertheless, we do of course appreciate anyone putting time into trying to solve this problem.

I have upped my GPU fan speed to make the GPU never go higher than 60 degrees. So far no crashes for 2 days. Maybe this has solved it for me, but it's too early to cheer (and the fan noise works on my nerves ;)). Also in lower graphics to not "overheat" the "poor GPU". Something def. wrong with the game

Edited by Zolexus

I have upped my GPU fan speed to make the GPU never go higher than 60 degrees. So far no crashes for 2 days. Maybe this has solved it for me, but it's too early to cheer (and the fan noise works on my nerves ;)). Also in lower graphics to not "overheat" the "poor GPU". Something def. wrong with the game

Okay, so I have a program called SpeedFan... and I can monitor and set my fan speeds... but it's staying at a consistent 78-80 degrees... so how am I supposed to get it to 60?

Edited by Eneishi