Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After few CTD's I had black screen crash again. Looks like sometimes it "gets through"

Me too, just shared the info if someone could get the game working with enb patch set to true, worked for me for a while then I had a Blue Screen of Death, rebooted, then its cousin Black Screen came. I really hope this gets patched.

Someone posted on Beth forums that he gets black screens after card temperature hits 75. Increasing fan speed to 100% for this temp turned black screens to CTD's for him.

I tried using Afterburner to to do so, enabled user defined fan speed control and set fan speed to get to max (in my case only 80% with 560 Ti, don't know why I can't use 100%), and yes I also had one CTD instead of black screen.

I tried w/o ENB patch and w/p 4 Gb patch though. I saw then in Afterburner monitor that CTD happened exactly when card's temp hit 75. My 80% fan speed cou;n't keep temp lower.

Looks like what is needed is to work on stability with high temp, either Beth or nVidia/ATI (or better both) should do that.

Will try using 4Gb patch now too, see what I get...

Update: 4Gb patch took longer to plat but resulted in black screen.

Nothing else to try any more...

Edited by Ryomitsu

Someone posted on Beth forums that he gets black screens after card temperature hits 75. Increasing fan speed to 100% for this temp turned black screens to CTD's for him.

I tried using Afterburner to to do so, enabled user defined fan speed control and set fan speed to get to max (in my case only 80% with 560 Ti, don't know why I can't use 100%), and yes I also had one CTD instead of black screen.

I tried w/o ENB patch and w/p 4 Gb patch though. I saw then in Afterburner monitor that CTD happened exactly when card's temp hit 75. My 80% fan speed cou;n't keep temp lower.

Looks like what is needed is to work on stability with high temp, either Beth or nVidia/ATI (or better both) should do that.

Will try using 4Gb patch now too, see what I get...

Update: 4Gb patch took longer to plat but resulted in black screen.

Nothing else to try any more...

Well you could try lowering the graphics then using Afterburner to max the fan speed then update your ati driver to 11.11c and use the ENB patch 8, well in my case, it worked, although graphics look crappy, will wait until the patch comes out.

After a long process of trying many different things, I have been reading recently about underclocking my gpu. So far this has worked for me. I have an HD 4670 and I went below the default settings and my crashes have stopped. While I am a novice at computers and their settings, something this simple seems to have done the trick. I know this is an awful way to get the game working effectively, but as a last resort, I will take it.

The bottom line is that I personally need to upgrade the psu and gpu.

I have the same card. Tell me how you did it

I think it's crazy angry with our graphics cards.(of the last generation).

Bethsda probably did not know the latest graphics cards on the market ......... Skyrim is programmed bad for them.

yes..same thoughts here

the problem is so random it cannot be hardware,its got to be software problem.

as many said above,i too tried all the tricks n tips and some even worked,for a while,then it just comes back with a vengance.

a simple £40 gigabyte gt 520 and all,and i mean ALL the problems go away.

i would have goneout and bought6 a 560 ti by now but it also seems that the later nvidia cards can suffer this problem too.

if it helps anyone this is my rig,before buying the gt 520 >

AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3

125W Quad-Core with Arctic Cooling Freezer Extreme

HIS 6870 IceQ X Turbo X 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E HDMI/2xDVI/2xMini DP

Samsung Spin Point F4EG EcoGreen SATAII 2TB 32MB Cache Hard Drive

Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 32Mb Cache Hard Disk Drive SATAII 300MB/s

Maxtor Diamondmax 21 250GB SATA-II 8MB Cache

Avenge Power Black Hummer ATX Gaming Case 2x 120mm - 2x 140mm Arctic coolers

Gigabyte GA-870A-USB3 Motherboard Phenom II Socket AM3 AMD 870 ATX RAID Gigabit Ethernet (rev 3.1)

Corsair XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (CMX8GX3M2A1600C9)

the strangest of things has happened to me today. this could be a possible fix for ATI users!

so i downloaded a d3d9.dll file from one of the posts in here - i cannot remember which one. i had put it in my skyrim folder and played only to see my game crash just like it always had. today, however, i tried something different: i launched the skyrim launcher via the radeonpro application. straight away, the message came up that my settings were configured for ultra high. this struck me a bit odd, since my last detection was set to high. i ran the game and was able to play for an entire hour on a brand new save. i've even got mods running and have edited the ini files to tweak my settings.

what i noticed in the skyrimprefs file is what may have allowed me to play (and note that i didn't crash during the hour that i played for). i'm running an ATI 6850, but found sD3DDevice="NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GS" in the ini. i have a feeling that this was due to the d3d9.dll file in my skyrim folder. could some of these issues stem simply from a string of text? i will play some more and hopefully continue on crash free.

pastebins for anyone who wants to go over my settings:

skyrim.ini

skyrimprefs.ini

an update on my situation!

my game has been running non-stop for almost 8 hours today! the only thing that i've had to put up with is the sound problems where everything sounds like it's coming over a first generation radio with an empty tin can as a speaker and the occasional stuttering of the game engine. the stuttering is something new that i haven't experienced before. it can last a few seconds to a few minutes. the fps and responsiveness of the game suffer tremendously during this time and it's almost as thought the engine's code hit a snag and didn't get the outcome it was looking for, sending it into a loop. it happened mostly when objects were moved leading me to believe that something may be up with the terrible way bethesda tied their physics calculations into how fast the engine is rendering (we've all seen how violent objects can get when you put them on a dresser and open a door nearby).

i'm still clueless as to why having the game think i'm using a completely different card to what i have has enabled me to play. maybe skyrim on old cards is just "the way it's meant to be played" if you catch my drift, fellow ATI users. i've noticed that a lot more effects are being rendered, too. much more. my lighting is so soft compared to what it used to be with the same settings. anti-aliasing looks much cleaner, but anisotropic filtering seems a little different in a bad way.

i've got almost an entire day to do whatever i want tomorrow, so i'll keep updating everyone with anything i find and whether or not this run of playability is simply dumb luck. if anybody is curious to try the settings/d3d9.dll file i've got, then i will upload screens of radeonpro settings and a megaupload for the dll.

for now, though, it's off to bed.

the strangest of things has happened to me today. this could be a possible fix for ATI users!

so i downloaded a d3d9.dll file from one of the posts in here - i cannot remember which one. i had put it in my skyrim folder and played only to see my game crash just like it always had. today, however, i tried something different: i launched the skyrim launcher via the radeonpro application. straight away, the message came up that my settings were configured for ultra high. this struck me a bit odd, since my last detection was set to high. i ran the game and was able to play for an entire hour on a brand new save. i've even got mods running and have edited the ini files to tweak my settings.

what i noticed in the skyrimprefs file is what may have allowed me to play (and note that i didn't crash during the hour that i played for). i'm running an ATI 6850, but found sD3DDevice="NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GS" in the ini. i have a feeling that this was due to the d3d9.dll file in my skyrim folder. could some of these issues stem simply from a string of text? i will play some more and hopefully continue on crash free.

pastebins for anyone who wants to go over my settings:

skyrim.ini

skyrimprefs.ini

an update on my situation!

my game has been running non-stop for almost 8 hours today! the only thing that i've had to put up with is the sound problems where everything sounds like it's coming over a first generation radio with an empty tin can as a speaker and the occasional stuttering of the game engine. the stuttering is something new that i haven't experienced before. it can last a few seconds to a few minutes. the fps and responsiveness of the game suffer tremendously during this time and it's almost as thought the engine's code hit a snag and didn't get the outcome it was looking for, sending it into a loop. it happened mostly when objects were moved leading me to believe that something may be up with the terrible way bethesda tied their physics calculations into how fast the engine is rendering (we've all seen how violent objects can get when you put them on a dresser and open a door nearby).

i'm still clueless as to why having the game think i'm using a completely different card to what i have has enabled me to play. maybe skyrim on old cards is just "the way it's meant to be played" if you catch my drift, fellow ATI users. i've noticed that a lot more effects are being rendered, too. much more. my lighting is so soft compared to what it used to be with the same settings. anti-aliasing looks much cleaner, but anisotropic filtering seems a little different in a bad way.

i've got almost an entire day to do whatever i want tomorrow, so i'll keep updating everyone with anything i find and whether or not this run of playability is simply dumb luck. if anybody is curious to try the settings/d3d9.dll file i've got, then i will upload screens of radeonpro settings and a megaupload for the dll.

for now, though, it's off to bed.

Your commentary seems ... to read a document found in Resident Evil ...

Anyway thanks for update

the problem seems to go around steam luncher and graphics card