Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

My problem is getting worse. Previously I'd get random black screens and reboots while roaming the open world, but while inside a dungeon/cave I'd almost never crash. As of today I've crashed 5 times in one hour while inside a dungeon.

At this point I'm ready to just throw Skyrim in the trash where it belongs. This is beyond disappointing. I may never buy Bethesda again...

I do hope Bethesda makes it a priority to fix this major problem in their next update instead of fixing rare bugs and minor gameplay bugs that barely effect the game at all. I don't understand why Bethesda doesn't tackle all the critical bugs and issues first although that would be sensible and the logical thing to do. Bethesda appears to be sorely lacking in those departments.

Bethesda hasnt even publicly announced the existence of this problem

Edited by Drakhaoul

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi all,

well i just tested the ini-file-changes neverlight posted here. it seemed that the crashes occured not so fast, i could spend some minutes more ingame. but it crashed again.

one more thing i noticed: using radeonpro to launch skyrim and crashing then, after reboot my ati catalyst software is not resetted to default settings.

launching skyrim without radeon pro and crashing then, after reboot ati catalyst settings are back to default.

i noticed that because i have an LG E2360 monitor. you have to activate certain option for brighter colors in catalyst, its off in default.

so i keep looking for a fix for the black boxed flames when i use atiumdag.dll

and i can really understand everyone who says he has enough of this game. i'm into computergames since gianna sisters on c64. i managed to run games in MS-DOS where you had to provide the right autoexec.bat and config.sys lines, that was sometimes ... - well, not so easy. and there was no internet and google back then.

but skyrim...

My crashing too, is getting worse. For a good while the d3d9.dll posted in this forum thread has helped. when I downloaded version 7 a few days ago, it stopped my crashed completely. I would spend hours on end exploring skyrim and having 0 issues. Then I wanted to actually do the main quest at about level 26. I got to the first dragon fight at the tower outside of whiterun, and the game has been a black screening hell since. I've upgraded to the version 9 of the d3d9.dll and that at-least got me through the fight with Mirmulnir (it would consitently black screen right before the dramatic music would play that told me I absorbed its soul). Now I'm in a nordic crypt fighting a dungeon boss...and it black screened again.

Im starting to suspect that game time is worsening the issues......It baffles me how bethesda didn't catch this bug during their development of the game....I really hope this gets fixed really soon. I fear the health of my system if I continue to play.

One thing really intrigued me, I met some guys in a Brazilian forum, with the same notebook as mine (not similar, exactly the same brand and all) that run the game for as long as they wish without crashing or even lagging. Now please somebody tell me, how is this possible?

I am so Sick of this Crash to Desktop and Purple Textures, is there anyway to fix this, or must we wait for Bethesda with a Patch

It only seems to happen when im outside and when i especially fast travle, but inside places its fine, with the occasional Purple Texture.

Edited by daventry

Like everyone here I too have problems with Skyrim... the game causes my PC to reset itself while playing and then have hard time booting into windows again. It reports the crash and asks me if I want to start windows in safe mode or normally and when I select to start normally it just resets itself again. After 2 or 3 resets it manages to enter in windows.

This crash has happened 4 times so far. It first occurred after a week of playing while reading some books on the history of the empire and again it happened a few days later while storing staff in my Whiterun house chest.

At this point I thought it was hardware failure. Ether the GPU overheating or the PSU failing, so I decided to do some tests. Few days later and after all the stress tests I could think of I came to the conclusion that nothing is wrong whit my PC hardware-wise.

So, I re-installed the game and started playing from my last save but this time without editing the *.ini files (I had previously forced off the mouse acceleration and vsync). For a while I thought this fixed my problem until I opened a book and crashed again :wallbash:

When I got back to windows I started the game for one last time, this time with HWiNFO64 running in the background and few hours later after i opened a random chest to pick some loot the game crashed yet again. CPU temp was in the low 30's and the GPU temp was around 60, so nothing wrong there.

Now I am to scared to play Skyrim again as NO GAME HAS DONE THIS BEFORE OR SINCE!!!

I am so Sick of this Crash to Desktop and Purple Textures, is there anyway to fix this, or must we wait for Bethesda with a Patch

It only seems to happen when im outside and when i especially fast travle, but inside places its fine, with the occasional Purple Texture.

as has been posted many times already:

this is not a CTD thread

Since 4/12 I'm unable to play Skyrim at all. I've read through every post/thread I could find in the last couple of days and tried a bunch of stuff but nothing seems to make any difference. Each time I start skyrim and load a game the screen turns black and my GPU fan (or is it CPU? Not sure) goes up to full spin instantly and the whole computer becomes unresponsive, the only thing I can do is turn the computer off via the power switch. Occasionally (but rarely) I get a few seconds of play time before it crashes, other times it crashes on the menu before even starting to load a game. Before 4/12 I had no problems with crashes in any form, played for 60h+ without a single crash.

My setup:

MSI GeForce GTX 560Ti 2GB

AMD Athlon64 X2 Dual-Core 6400+ 3.2GHz (No OC etc)

Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 AMD 770

Corsair XMS2-6400 TWIN2X4096-6400C5 4x2048MB (8 GB total)

500W PSU

Windows 7

Some things I've tried/checked:

Running different graphics settings, windowed/full screen etc

Updating to latest Nvidia drivers

Full uninstall / reinstall of the game and settings (manually removing all of the files)

Making sure that none of the components are running too hot

Making sure that no backgrond apps are interfering

Running other games works fine (including Oblivion/Fallout NV and many others)

Validating cache via Steam

Tried with and without enbdev, no difference

4GB fix

I don't really have any high hopes at this point, but can anyone think of something else for me to try? Or do I simply wait for this to be patched?

Since 4/12 I'm unable to play Skyrim at all. I've read through every post/thread I could find in the last couple of days and tried a bunch of stuff but nothing seems to make any difference. Each time I start skyrim and load a game the screen turns black and my GPU fan (or is it CPU? Not sure) goes up to full spin instantly and the whole computer becomes unresponsive, the only thing I can do is turn the computer off via the power switch. Occasionally (but rarely) I get a few seconds of play time before it crashes, other times it crashes on the menu before even starting to load a game. Before 4/12 I had no problems with crashes in any form, played for 60h+ without a single crash.

My setup:

MSI GeForce GTX 560Ti 2GB

AMD Athlon64 X2 Dual-Core 6400+ 3.2GHz (No OC etc)

Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 AMD 770

Corsair XMS2-6400 TWIN2X4096-6400C5 4x2048MB (8 GB total)

500W PSU

Windows 7

Some things I've tried/checked:

Running different graphics settings, windowed/full screen etc

Updating to latest Nvidia drivers

Full uninstall / reinstall of the game and settings (manually removing all of the files)

Making sure that none of the components are running too hot

Making sure that no backgrond apps are interfering

Running other games works fine (including Oblivion/Fallout NV and many others)

Validating cache via Steam

Tried with and without enbdev, no difference

4GB fix

I don't really have any high hopes at this point, but can anyone think of something else for me to try? Or do I simply wait for this to be patched?

Man it's already been patched, but the damn patch didn't fix anything. Same crashes, same bugs, same frustration. Bethesda doesn't even know this problem exists bro.