Skyrim is Very Disappointing, A Major Let-Down.

David Brasher

Sir i don't think it is the game, i think it is your definiton of above-average that is a bit wacky. I run skyrim on high on my one year old mid-range 13.3" laptop, on an external monitor with 1920x1080 resolution.

There are minimum and recommended requirements stated on the game before you buy it, if you don't meet these then buying for pc may not be a good idea.

I can't speak for David, but I've seen many complaints up on the official forums of people running Skyrim on computers that should have no problem, but do. Myself? I have sudden periodic stopping while it caches, but I'm running a 32-bit OS which means it probably can't access more than 2 GB RAM at a time; so I expect and can live with that. But it would seem that while a lot of PC users meet the requirements and run it without problem, others do so, and still experience minor to major difficulties.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds to me like Skyrim is subject to the same hard drive related limitations as Oblivion. If you have a single hard drive make sure you defrag regularly (but don't have background defrag turned on while playing at least), if you have at least two hard drives get the game installed on the second drive (or the fastest non-boot drive if you have more than two).

Defragging is not the best answer in all situations on a modern PC and can cause performance problems. This may seem a bit weird but for best performance you should NEVER delete anything or defrag until absolutely needed.

Explain

I have sudden periodic stopping while it caches, but I'm running a 32-bit OS which means it probably can't access more than 2 GB RAM at a time; so I expect and can live with that.

Unless you patch it to be LAA (large addres aware) Skyrim never uses more than 2 GB RAM even on 64 bit systems. So much for modern gaming technology, eh Bethesda?

And yes, there are PC users who meet the requirements and still experience minor to major difficulties. Some can be solved by tweaking graphics options (e.g. in-game vsync, ATI Catalyst, etc.), others are probably just bugs.

Defragging is not the best answer in all situations on a modern PC and can cause performance problems. This may seem a bit weird but for best performance you should NEVER delete anything or defrag until absolutely needed.

I don't know where you are getting this idea from but defragmenting is always the best answer with keeping hard drive performance at a maximum. It prevents hard drive thrashing by moving files together that have been split up across the hard drive.

I think you are getting confused with you shouldn't delete loads of stuff & then install software/adding loads of data before defragmenting as this causes fragmentation as the data then goes in the gaps where the data was removed from on the hard drive.

Edited by qwertywun

Funny thing is that defrag is actually really relevant before/after any Skyrim load, Auslogics free defrag is totally the way to go.

David, (love your mods!) obviously only the vast minority of PC users actually post on the Bethesda forums and seemingly only because they have personal/hardware/config/software issues.

Just to let you know, I've tried to make the game fail after enabling more memory (both versions) without any crashes and I've also added many replacers with total success. (manually installed) My laptop is on ultra settings (shadows high but all @ 4096) with a bunch of master ini changes thrown in there as well.

StupidSteam offline mode is a given... I'll even throw in a grrrr, because I effing hate steam...

Only a G74SX: i7 2630QM, GTX 560M, 8GB DDR3 1333, modified :) link: STEP

http://www.image-share.com/upload/1137/80.jpg

How are you guys patching and tweaking and researching a game that has been available for less than 24 hours? In the town where I live, nobody was allowed to buy Skyrim until 11-11-11.

Why does a brand new game that has been on the market for less than 24 hours need a patch already? Is that to say that it was clearly broken from day one, and Bethesda already knew this before releasing the game?

No, it means that your computer sucks and you need to upgrade the hardware

If you are about to go buy Skyrim for the PC, you better think twice. Having played the game, I would venture to say that it won't perform satisfactorily on fully half of the PCs that people in this forum own.

If that's your biggest gripe with Skyrim, honestly, I'm happy for you.

I have what people call "a gaming rig", and got 60fps out of Skyrim in most places even with cranked-up settings (except Shadows=high, never use Ultra). But it's not the requirements that are a letdown.

Don't defragment EXCESSIVELY, and don't defragment SSD. Don't trust programs that promise to "optimize" your SSD.

Other than that, you should defragment. Once a year is minimum. Once a month is good. Diskeeper would be better if it was free. So just do it monthly.

Skyrim likes SSD, so does Windows, keep that in mind. However, new video or CPU will always be better for game performance than SSD.

Edited by FMod

It's been a while since you responded and more than a month passed, but I'll post it anyway.

Sorry David, but an integrated graphics card can't run the newest pc games too well and most of the time not at all. Mostly as game or even graphics card devs pay little to no attention optimising to it. It's always the advice never to get integrated cards. It's an old trick of companies, but you're rather ripped off as.. the AMD 3200 series? The best PC in the store a year ago? That card is over 3 years old and the standard rule with integrated cards is that they are worse than their dedicated equivalent, usually dating it a year or more back even. The thing is with those cards is that they usually don't even have dedicated memory and they are horrendous on shading (usually 80% of the lag) and usually have a lag you can't tweak out with mere setting changes. Integrated cards just eat your RAM, which basically makes the game run even slower.

Skyrim heavily depends on shaders and runs a lot of effects that strain video cards. Any smoke/dust/snowy winds in the game should be crippling. Remember HDR setting in oblivion? You don't even have a setting to turn it off with, while skyrim heavily relies on the usage of lighting. Something especially crippling for integrated cards.

Your PC seems to have all the beef it needs, just buy a separate video card, then it'll run like magic. The HD3200 series even had some issues with browsers and 2D images, so it should make navigating this place even easier. Take a look at this chart before buying a card. If you're low on money, at least try to get one above 300 points at their scale and if you're going AMD/ATI again preferably one of the HD4000 series or above

Some people have stated that if you could run oblivion you could skyrim, but that's with the assumption you already ran the game on high quality with it. Oblivion's a 5 year old game with even older graphics, you can't really compare the specs.

Back then you didn't need more than 1 processor, you can't run skyrim on that any much either.

You don't need to spend a lot of money 'usually' if you want to play skyrim. I never assembled my own PC before and this time I did, it just cost me 550 dollars. You only need to replace your video card (unless you have a laptop, which I hope you don't. It shouldn't be more than 180-200 bucks to get one like mine. Lower if you don't want to play on ultra or are low on money.

Skyrim's a great game and can look astonishing if you ignore all the chatter about it lacking dx11 and HD textures and normals. You don't want to miss it out ;D.

Edited by Pronam