How are we on custom races?

One of the main problems involving custom races is that the armor, clothing, hairstyles, tattoos, etc are all tied to specific races. Any newly created race will not be able to use them unless the author edits the entry for every single one, making compatibility a nightmare.

Ghouls and synths (gen 2 and 3 only for most stuff) are already flagged to use them, but any new race would run into this problem.

Why Bethesda did it this way is anybody's guess.

Edited by mm137

For hairstyles, a quick check looks like they would just need to edit HeadPartsHuman [FLST:000A8026]. Tattoos/facepaints are listed in the race records themselves (which is a pain in the ass, especially for compatibility - thank god for LooksMenu), so you just need to copy the tint template groups sub-record. It does mean mod-added tattoos/facepaints won't be available on the new race without the MA making it so, which kinda sucks.

Armor/clothing will be a pain, although at least it is done in the armor addon records (ARMA) instead of the ARMO records themselves, since those are less likely to be edited (although that still doesn't help when you have multiple new races). FO4Edit's "Copy to selected records" function will make it less painful than it could be to add a new race to the list, but it would definitely be nice if they had made it use a formlist like the hairstyles/eyes.

We aren't likely to have a huge number of custom playable races, so compatibility patches should be manageable, but it could definitely be a lot easier if Bethesda were a little smarter about it.

Yeh I'm getting real sick of Bethesda's lazy-ass programming. I b&@*$ about it all the time.

Everything is just SO 'hardcoded', y'know? They were really narrow-minded when programming.

For hairstyles, a quick check looks like they would just need to edit HeadPartsHuman [FLST:000A8026].

This is true, but it will still conflict with any other mod that adds new races, because it would have to edit the same Formlist. Unless you make copies of all the hairstyles and facial hair, and set them to work on your race only, which would be a nightmare during character generation.

Edited by mm137

Yeh I'm getting real sick of Bethesda's lazy-ass programming. I *censored* about it all the time.

Everything is just SO 'hardcoded', y'know? They were really narrow-minded when programming.

If they'd programmed it to allow every conceivable mod, you'd be complaining about how unstable the game is.

Maybe so, but races have historically not worked anything like this. Since morrowind, new races have been some of the most popular mods, and easy enough to implement. This new system is bizarre and needlessly complicated, as far as I can tell.

One of the main problems involving custom races is that the armor, clothing, hairstyles, tattoos, etc are all tied to specific races. Any newly created race will not be able to use them unless the author edits the entry for every single one, making compatibility a nightmare.

Ghouls and synths (gen 2 and 3 only for most stuff) are already flagged to use them, but any new race would run into this problem.

My race (ARES) has it's own specific body that is not compatible with human body so that only helped me but I can see where it would be a problem for human compatible races. Hairstyles just have to be replicated and not a big deal depending on how m any you want to add.

Maybe so, but races have historically not worked anything like this. Since morrowind, new races have been some of the most popular mods, and easy enough to implement. This new system is bizarre and needlessly complicated, as far as I can tell.

It was done this way (I believe) to facilitate humans turning into power armor race and synths coming out of the vat as gen 1 and turning into gen 3 race. Power armor is now larger so the skeleton has to be re-scaled and different animations. The body model info was removed from the race sheet and now naked bodies are worn as armors and armor add-ons.

I got my player race working in game just fine. But, the instability of the Beta CK is making things horrendously slow.

2882342-1467221025.jpg

• 4 months later...

My race (ARES) has it's own specific body that is not compatible with human body so that only helped me but I can see where it would be a problem for human compatible races. Hairstyles just have to be replicated and not a big deal depending on how m any you want to add.

It was done this way (I believe) to facilitate humans turning into power armor race and synths coming out of the vat as gen 1 and turning into gen 3 race. Power armor is now larger so the skeleton has to be re-scaled and different animations. The body model info was removed from the race sheet and now naked bodies are worn as armors and armor add-ons.

I got my player race working in game just fine. But, the instability of the Beta CK is making things horrendously slow.

2882342-1467221025.jpg

Hi, it's great that you were able to create a new race with your own body meshes without any problems.

I'm making a head/face mod. I basically put the ported-head and vanilla neck part together (but not merged in 3ds max) and exported them as one nif file. But the neck part is having a gap problem. It's not a race mod but a helmet mod basically. In other words, the helmet consists of the head and neck. I'm thinking making it a race mod can help solve the neck gap problem I'm having. Please refer to the following links:

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/65805-any-idea-for-facehead-mods-neck-seamskin-tone-problem/

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/66013-fallout-4-ada-wong-resident-evil-6-mod/?p=1650981

I'd really want you to take a look at what I did. 3ds Max files are inside the uploaded main zip files. Please let me know how I can solve this.

Thank you

• 3 months later...