Request: Realistic hunting mod

LordFisher

Ok, let me say it as it is...I am a very weird veggie. While I would never ever harm an animal in real life, I love doing it in a game, and I want a realistic challenge. I don't know whether any of you have ever played Red Dead Redemption, but I loved the hunting on there, however the animals where too easy to find, too abundant, and barely even startled even when I galloped up to right them and fired off some shots.

I would like to really work for a kill. Animals should be startled easily, and creeping up on them a real challenge i.e. choosing light clothing to reduce noise, moving very, very slowly when closer to the target etc. I would like it if I had to stalk my prey for a while before trying to line up the perfect shot. I would also like it if animals where impeded based on where the arrow hit i.e. hit in the leg = limping + slowly losing blood. I think if an animal has an arrow in it, it's health should slowly drain - then the challenge is tracking the animal to find where it died, perhaps tracking a blood trail. Also, when looking through the dead animal's inventory, removing items such as hide and antlers should remove them on the actual animal - like removing clothes off a dead person, just allot more gory. For me, this would really increase immersion and realism, and satisfy my sick longings.

Don't bother telling me how sick I am...I know.

This is something i never thought about but after reading, has now gotten me interested, Once the creation kit has been released i will start doing my usual thing "adding quests"

I could create a job, I'll place a butcher in a few towns and city's, These butchers will be looking for hunters to hunt down the type of animal they want for food, He will for example "pay good money for 2 rabbits" and as you do more and more jobs for the butcher it will get progressively harder to a point were you will be hunting down mammoths and other huge pray.

Thats a rough idea of the type of thing im willing to do, So give suggestions and ill take a note of it.

This is something i never thought about but after reading, has now gotten me interested, Once the creation kit has been released i will start doing my usual thing "adding quests"

I could create a job, I'll place a butcher in a few towns and city's, These butchers will be looking for hunters to hunt down the type of animal they want for food, He will for example "pay good money for 2 rabbits" and as you do more and more jobs for the butcher it will get progressively harder to a point were you will be hunting down mammoths and other huge pray.

Thats a rough idea of the type of thing im willing to do, So give suggestions and ill take a note of it.

Sounds great! Maybe also, be able to sell hides and antlers to people in bars or taverns that want them on the walls. It would also be great if you tried to make hunting itself more realistic in the process.

Also maybe fishing (with a rod), and being a lumberjack (not sure if that is in the game).

Fishing, I'm not sure about, But lumberjack is in the game, You just need to buy an axe, Chop a tree then sell to a village lumberjack for coinage.

As for the hunting, For me to make it realistic i could add what you suggested "Bleed out over time" But crippling them would be tricky for me as my specialty is making quests not modding npc's, But for the effect i could use a simple "Slow down" effect if you hit a certain part of the pray, It would do the job but it wouldn't be animated with a limp.

Also maybe fishing (with a rod), and being a lumberjack (not sure if that is in the game).

Fishing, I'm not sure about, But lumberjack is in the game, You just need to buy an axe, Chop a tree then sell to a village lumberjack for coinage.

As for the hunting, For me to make it realistic i could add what you suggested "Bleed out over time" But crippling them would be tricky for me as my specialty is making quests not modding npc's, But for the effect i could use a simple "Slow down" effect if you hit a certain part of the pray, It would do the job but it wouldn't be animated with a limp.

hmm, I think it would look odd simply slowed down, so maybe leave that one out. As for stalking? (I have no experience with modding, so I may be asking allot)

I had sort of planned out a possible trapping mod, similar to hunting. I was hoping for some sort of survival skill to base it off of, but the idea was simple.

You need to buy the traps (or craft it), there are variations of the trap (bear trap, rabbit snare, wolf snare, etc). It was going to be simple, place the trap and each day that goes by there is a small percentage based on your 'survival' skill that you've captured an animal. It would be quite simple to spawn a dead animal near the trap. I would also use map-markers to keep the locations.

If there's any interest in this I may try to do when the CK releases, otherwise I have another (larger) project planned . :thumbsup:

I was going to request a mod to place traps for enemies in general, so adding that kind of stuff to the engine would be a good thing, even with your other project ;-)

hmm, I think it would look odd simply slowed down, so maybe leave that one out. As for stalking? (I have no experience with modding, so I may be asking allot)

Stalking? Explain lol

I had sort of planned out a possible trapping mod, similar to hunting. I was hoping for some sort of survival skill to base it off of, but the idea was simple.

You need to buy the traps (or craft it), there are variations of the trap (bear trap, rabbit snare, wolf snare, etc). It was going to be simple, place the trap and each day that goes by there is a small percentage based on your 'survival' skill that you've captured an animal. It would be quite simple to spawn a dead animal near the trap. I would also use map-markers to keep the locations.

If there's any interest in this I may try to do when the CK releases, otherwise I have another (larger) project planned . :thumbsup:

Thats a beautiful idea, Why didnt i think of that? Maybe if you are interested we could use your idea along with mine and make a full project out of it?, for example.

While hunting for a specific npc as a job, The more tasks you complete, you get rewarded with trap blueprints to make and use for hunting or for trapping enemies, And as you progress further into your hunting career you start to gain skills that would give you an advantage, also using a perk tree's hunting & survival.

If you would rather keep your project seperate then i would understand, But i'm sure i would be asking for permission to implement it into mine "with cookies of course" :thumbsup: