Am I the odd one out?

BenKenobe

For me, simply creating a shortcut to "TESV.exe" (use search function to find it) and running that (with admin rights, not sure if that's necessary) skips Steam, so you really only need Steam for the activation and never need to start it ever again. If that's still too much Steam for you, your loss on one of the greatest games ever. Note: I actually use Steam all the time since I hate having DVDs flying around and switching them all the time. Also Achievements are nice. But with the recent hacking and all, I can see how you're put off.

Edit: lol, put the wrong filename, thanks to the poster below for pointing that out.

Edited by QDX2000

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, simply creating a shortcut to "Skyrim.exe" (use search function to find it) and running that (with admin rights, not sure if that's necessary) skips steam, so you really only need Steam for the activation and never need to start it ever again. If that's still too much Steam for you, your loss on one of the greatest games ever. Note: I actually use Steam all the time since I hate having DVDs flying around and switching them all the time. Also Achievments are nice. But with the recent hacking and all, I can see how you're put off.

It's actually "TESV.exe" but it works. Nice find.

I have always enjoyed Bethesda's work, I have all the Elder Scrolls, finally Skyrim appeared this morning.

Installed said DVD and I will not be installing Skyrim - EVER.

I will not tolerate or accept Steam or any other 'phone home' derivative.

Now the place I purchased it from refuse to accept its return using the 'you broke the seal' excuse and yet nowhere on the cover is it made clear that steam is a prerequisite - had I known this I would never have purchased.

Anyone want to purchase said DVD & 'pre-order' map .....

Steam is by far the least cumbersome platform of its type. Some people refuse to indulge DRM from game developers, but in this case with your insistence on staying DRM-free, you are cutting off your nose to spite your face. To deprive yourself of one of the best games ever made, just because of Steam, really is pointless.

Besides, Steam only requires a connection for initially "activating" a game. If you wanted, you could run Steam in "Offline Mode" and play Skyrim without ever "phoning home" again (of course, this means you would never receive Skyrim updates and patches). I would understand your sentiment more if Skyrim was unplayable without a persistent internet connection, like some games out there.

What really boils my nuts is the implication that steam is some kind of DRM machine. "Phone home derivative"?!

I think you might have steam confused with origin, bro.

Steam is my primary platform for gaming (100+ games)... let me tell you that you are incorrect. Steam is most definitely a DRM platform, they freely admit that. Who told you it wasn't? I don't like Origin either but the truth is EA isn't doing anything that Steam hasn't already done, it's just that they're making certain EA games exclusive to Origin to leverage their market share which annoys some users.

It's certainly true that Origin's browser-based DRM system is really annoying, but to praise Steam while putting down Origin doesn't make sense. Gamers tend to have loyalty to Steam and see Origin as an unwanted intruder, but these feelings are really unjustified. No company is "on your side".

Edited by PolyOlefin

I don't like middleware. Shouldn't have to load something extra. I have nothing against Steam for what purposes it serves, but it really doesn't fit for a boxed copy of the game. If I didn't know there were ways around it I'd be a bit more annoyed. At least it is the lesser evil.. Assassin's Creed *cough*.

Steam is my primary platform for gaming (100+ games)... let me tell you that you are incorrect. Steam is most definitely a DRM platform, they freely admit that. Who told you it wasn't? I don't like Origin either but the truth is EA isn't doing anything that Steam hasn't already done, it's just that they're making certain EA games exclusive to Origin to leverage their market share which annoys some users.

It's certainly true that Origin's browser-based DRM system is really annoying, but to praise Steam while putting down Origin doesn't make sense. Gamers tend to have loyalty to Steam and see Origin as an unwanted intruder, but these feelings are really unjustified. No company is "on your side".

Steam and Origin are both content delivery services primarily, is the way I see it. I've not seen where it's solely a device hell-bent on enforcing DRM, even though it can be used for that. Of course, buying a game through steam in the first place is a sort of DRM, so I see your point :)

I don't hate Origin per se, I just hate how restrictive and clunky it is. I should at least be able to set a custom avatar like I could do with Battlelog. Battlelog! The most reviled of browser-based services!

Why is this feature not present?

Do I use windows update - actually NO, I let it tell me what it thinks I need then I read the tech note on Microsoft before committing, I work in the IT world .... and have done for 25 years.

oh, you're THAT guy...

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2010/01/wow-nerd-south-park-580.jpg

srsly, stop whining lika a little girl and accept reality.

Wait you are not playing Skyrim due to Steam? That's it? Steam??? Really you want to miss out due ... S-T-E-A-M?? That's your single reason, S-S-T-T-E-E-A-A-M-M ???

Oh well your loss ;)

You don't want steam?

But you do want to play the game?

Well for someone who states that he is in the IT business you should already be aware of the fact that something called pirates exist. People who make it possible to play games without third party programs and services like steam/origin/etc.

You bought the game so you already supported the company who made it, if you don't want steam, it's your decission, now go crack that stuff.