Is it possible to be a pure caster????

Russelcoight

I only had mana problems until I got the mask with 100% regen, since then it flows smoothly, especially since I got certain robes and amulet.

I also found a spell that exchanges life for mana. I put that spell on one button, heal on the other button and hold both and see as it fills the bars.

Ahhhh yes ill try this now. thanks!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone said you'd have to go in battles with more tactical thought. I'd like to know what that thought would be because I doubt you can outsmart a strong enemy with pure magic.

I play a pure caster and it's so much harder than my assassin or warrior.

I had to fight 2 Ice Wolves.

I shot 3 Firebolts and killed one. OOM - I ran till I was miles away from where the fight started. That's not an option in many cases and isn't how I want to play a mage.

2nd attempt: Defensive spell (oak flesh(?)) and an atronarch to start the fight... and end it for me since I was OOM and had to watch/ run.

My assassin can run into the wolves without sneaking and hack them with 2 swords easily. Honestly.

Mages are supposed to be glass cannons but they are like glass slingshots or something. They don't do enough damage per magicka. Hell, the last perk is simply there so you are able to cast the best spells which are not strong enough. (Mentioned in an other topic)

You can play through the game but it's just no fun (at least for me). I hope mods will fix this soon.

Someone said you'd have to go in battles with more tactical thought. I'd like to know what that thought would be because I doubt you can outsmart a strong enemy with pure magic.

I shot 3 Firebolts and killed one. OOM - I ran till I was miles away from where the fight started. That's not an option in many cases and isn't how I want to play a mage.

2nd attempt: Defensive spell (oak flesh(?)) and an atronarch to start the fight... and end it for me since I was OOM and had to watch/ run.

My assassin can run into the wolves without sneaking and hack them with 2 swords easily. Honestly.

Mages are supposed to be glass cannons but they are like glass slingshots or something. They don't do enough damage per magicka. Hell, the last perk is simply there so you are able to cast the best spells which are not strong enough. (Mentioned in an other topic)

You can play through the game but it's just no fun (at least for me). I hope mods will fix this soon.

Use wards, all that oak flesh will do is increase your AR, and if you AR is low from wearing robes, it's still low after that. The lesser ward should prevent all damage from an ice wolf. It's better to not be taking damage at all imo. And you just watch it get dropped by your summon.. Granted the wards do work best at ranged combat, the fact is you do have to brawl in this game...

What sold me on that was when I encountered a master necromancer, the ice spell he would cast would 1 shot me when I was like level 25 and 30% frost resist potion going on, The lesser ward had me in the game after like 6 restarts... I ender up just charging him and smacking him with a bound weapon and the ward going to negate his spells.

you have to tank, like you said running away is not always an option. There are plenty of options on how to do that.

Level max is 50 in this game. Will be interesting how "balanced" my two classes feel upon reaching these levels....

The max level is somewhere around 75, not 50. ;)

The mathematical cap is 70 afaik. The cap you can reach is 50.

It's a soft cap at 50, meaning that's how far you're supposed to get, and after that leveling is extremely slow, but you can reach around 75. ;)

Use wards, all that oak flesh will do is increase your AR, and if you AR is low from wearing robes, it's still low after that. The lesser ward should prevent all damage from an ice wolf. It's better to not be taking damage at all imo. And you just watch it get dropped by your summon.. Granted the wards do work best at ranged combat, the fact is you do have to brawl in this game...

What sold me on that was when I encountered a master necromancer, the ice spell he would cast would 1 shot me when I was like level 25 and 30% frost resist potion going on, The lesser ward had me in the game after like 6 restarts... I ender up just charging him and smacking him with a bound weapon and the ward going to negate his spells.

you have to tank, like you said running away is not always an option. There are plenty of options on how to do that.

But i think you are missing his point , much like my original point.

We are not having difficulty beating the game. Its not really that hard. What we are saying is , its no fun to watch your overpowered summon auto kill stuff while you sit there gobsmacked and oom. Its not fun to play a caster , but end up "brawling" regardless. Its not fun to sit around or run away because you are oom. Assassins and Warriors don't have to play like that. Ill admit , mashing attack button isn't very interesting really but its better than anything the mage class has. This is in stark contrast to most mages in games , most mages in the oblivion series and it even betrays its own potential. We have these awesome spells , some that need to be aimed. Yet ultimately we end up using the same lame strategies (summon /afk , run in and melee despite being a caster) because ooming is too much of a problem.

On the other hand , im not entirely sure things would be balanced if mages had unlimited mana. Infact i think it would be equally imba. So im not sure there is a simple fix. Probably going to need an overhaul mod.

We are not having difficulty beating the game. Its not really that hard. What we are saying is , its no fun to watch your overpowered summon auto kill stuff while you sit there gobsmacked and oom. Its not fun to play a caster , but end up "brawling" regardless. Its not fun to sit around or run away because you are oom. Assassins and Warriors don't have to play like that. Ill admit , mashing attack button isn't very interesting really but its better than anything the mage class has. This is in stark contrast to most mages in games ,

What? you don't want to bombard spells at range....you don't want to tank with wards and bound weapons.... I'm confused, what exactly do you want to be doing as a mage then?

most mages in the oblivion series and it even betrays its own potential.

your argument is invalid :tongue:

I play a pure mage. I'm level 37 and haven't ever used any melee related items. I've also used perhaps a total of 15 magicka pots. I currently have 250% mana regen but 350% is the sweet spot I think. I'll use potions for that if I ever level up my alchemy. My stats are as follows;

Conjuration - 100

Enchanting - 100

Destruction -70

Restoration -80

I have put all my points into mana so I still have 100 HP. I use two Storm Atronachs. They are fine tanks and dps. I have enough mana to cast 2 then burn a dragon down. Once the dragon is in my sight an Elder dragon will usually die in under 10 seconds. The only problem I have atm is with other mages. Melee doesn't stand a chance and for bowman I just stand behind my Atronachs or stun them til they die via Impact. Most things die in 1-4 hits. I do die a lot. Having 100 HP guarantees that but I wouldn't say it's difficult. It just depends on whether I played and prepared well.

If you're having troubles cast your atronach ahead of you when you come across corners to make sure you're not surprised by mages or whatnot. For the very difficult mages I heal and use Staff of Magnus. I've yet to see a mage who can best my heal and my Staff.

For conjuration I only picked the Atronach tree. Destruction I went only for fire and in Restoration I got the 50% regen, and went left for the all spells do more dmg vs undead + 50% increased healing. With only 100 HP I don't need a heal bigger than the first streaming one. I think its apprentice.

I tried using sihelds but I find that they drain your mana too quickly. It's easier to just dodge behind an atronach or let them do the fighting while I stun those whom I can.

For AE fights I switch to Fireball instead of Firebolt. I don't really bother much with anything other than fire since I use Storm Atronachs.

I still have 6 skill points I have no place to put. Overall, I'm dissapointed with the lack of utility spells but I enjoy being a mage more than my Rogue. If the AII was brighter mages would easily be able to kill me but they won't approach me up close to prevent giving me enough quarter for an easy escape. If you do try this out be warned that you must move frequently. Need to dodge as much as you can. I play on adept difficulty but I don't think raising it would make it much harder. Other than me having to cast more spells to kill things. I already die in one hit anyway so that wouldn't really effect my gameplay. Dragon breaths might kill me more is about it.

Edited by Jynku

Level max is 50 in this game. Will be interesting how "balanced" my two classes feel upon reaching these levels....

The max level is somewhere around 75, not 50. ;)

The mathematical cap is 70 afaik. The cap you can reach is 50.

It's a soft cap at 50, meaning that's how far you're supposed to get, and after that leveling is extremely slow, but you can reach around 75. ;)

After maxing all the skills through the console, max level seems to be 81.