Is it possible to be a pure caster????

Russelcoight

Level max is 50 in this game. Will be interesting how "balanced" my two classes feel upon reaching these levels....

The max level is somewhere around 75, not 50. ;)

The mathematical cap is 70 afaik. The cap you can reach is 50.

It's a soft cap at 50, meaning that's how far you're supposed to get, and after that leveling is extremely slow, but you can reach around 75. ;)

After maxing all the skills through the console, max level seems to be 81.

I am basing my level cap "guess" off the Bethesda developer chat....

“The levelling is faster. Oblivion and Fallout 3, we think of them as 1-25 games. This is a 1-50. But what that means is we just sped it up. It’s not like it’s going to take you longer. There are so many perks and the power really comes from the perks, we wanted to get it going faster. You level faster in the beginning and then it slows down.”

http://gamerant.com/bethesda-skyrims-level-cap-dungeons-robk-80402/

Edited by soot00

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Level max is 50 in this game. Will be interesting how "balanced" my two classes feel upon reaching these levels....

The max level is somewhere around 75, not 50. ;)

The mathematical cap is 70 afaik. The cap you can reach is 50.

It's a soft cap at 50, meaning that's how far you're supposed to get, and after that leveling is extremely slow, but you can reach around 75. ;)

After maxing all the skills through the console, max level seems to be 81.

I am basing my level cap "guess" off the Bethesda developer chat....

“The levelling is faster. Oblivion and Fallout 3, we think of them as 1-25 games. This is a 1-50. But what that means is we just sped it up. It’s not like it’s going to take you longer. There are so many perks and the power really comes from the perks, we wanted to get it going faster. You level faster in the beginning and then it slows down.”

http://gamerant.com/bethesda-skyrims-level-cap-dungeons-robk-80402/

more complete quotation:

"We do balance this game," he said. "The levelling is faster. Oblivion and Fallout 3, we think of them as 1-25 games. This is a 1-50.

"But what that means is we just sped it up. It's not like it's going to take you longer. There are so many perks and the power really comes from the perks, we wanted to get it going faster.

"You level faster in the beginning and then it slows down."

While most players will max out the game at level 50, Skyrim has a "mathematical" level cap "probably somewhere in the 70s", Howard said.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-20-tesv-skyrim-level-cap-explained

I forgot to mention a couple things. Mages who use wards really piss me off. Those who won't quit doing so eat my Staff of Magus.

One thing I haven't seen people mention is Shouts. Shouts are an essential tool to being a good mage. Ice form I don't use since my fireballs just unfreeze them but Unrelenting force is beastly. Just throw those mages across the room, toss a few ae's and they're done for. I think the reason why people here run out of mana so easy is because you didn't put enough points into magic perhaps. I run out of mana on boss fights but it doesn't stay gone long. I can nearly chain cast firebolts which is strong enough to take them down.

May be a strange request but is it possible for anyone here making a video of how he plays a mage? All vids i saw on YouTube strengthn my point. (Can you say it like that? Sorry, I'm from germany.)

As I said, it's not impossible to beat the game but I personally don't have fun (usually I do with casters). Would be nice to have a guide with "hard facts". Not zhat I'm not trusting you people, I just wanna see for myself. ^^

Thanks for all your tips though! :)

We are not having difficulty beating the game. Its not really that hard. What we are saying is , its no fun to watch your overpowered summon auto kill stuff while you sit there gobsmacked and oom. Its not fun to play a caster , but end up "brawling" regardless. Its not fun to sit around or run away because you are oom. Assassins and Warriors don't have to play like that. Ill admit , mashing attack button isn't very interesting really but its better than anything the mage class has. This is in stark contrast to most mages in games ,

What? you don't want to bombard spells at range....you don't want to tank with wards and bound weapons.... I'm confused, what exactly do you want to be doing as a mage then?

most mages in the oblivion series and it even betrays its own potential.

your argument is invalid :tongue:

I think you still somehow miss the point. We want to bomb enemies at range , yeah. But we are running oom after a couple spells , despite doing everything i can think of (read op) to prevent it. The idea of the post was to see if other players had similar problems (turns out a few have) , and if there was a way to help stop ooming. You keep saying "oh just use summons and bound weapons" , we say that we don't want to sit behind an imba Ai summoning that does most the work for us, we say that using bound weapons is the same as playing a warrior , you go in and melee stuff. Its an elder scrolls game , there's usually many different ways to play. Cept in skyrim , it seems every way to play the mage is boring / dull. Its not about throwing bolts of ice , fire and lightning out. Its about abusing poor ai , abusing powerful yet mundane summons and falling back on the same thing every other playstyle does (melee).

As for invalid argument , if you want to get caught up on semantics , so be it , im not engaging.

Geez so many different info about maxlvl going around^^

Well as much as i appreciate the fact all the posts about this are bumping my thread. I have to say , its kinda derailing it at the same time. Why we talking about lvl cap in this thread anyway l0l.

Edited by Russelcoight

I'm playing as a high elf pure caster, and I feel your frustration. Do the Mage Guild (college of Winterhold) quest line. Once you've finished with that questline, you'll have two items (a mask from a litch and the robes of the archmage) which each give +100% magicka regen. Look for amulets or rings which either add to your magicka or add to regen. And don't use your most powerful spells... the damage to cost ratios are more efficient on the lower level spells, I think. Maybe this is because it takes longer to cast the same amount of damage using Firebolt as opposed to Fireball, and that time figures into the regen... not really sure. Sometimes (like in the dungeon of the staff of magnus questline) I needed to rely on my racial power, "Highborn," which replenishes 25% of my magicka per second for 60 seconds. Basically you fire "Highborn" and can cast non-stop for a full minute without worrying about magicka.

I do carry a dagger, and I have the "Bound Sword" spell handy, and I rely heavily on my Flame Atronach, but going into melee is something I NEVER do when I have any other options. I use my shouts early in a fight; if the fight lasts for 16 seconds, I can get off 2 shouts... which helps a lot. The last time I successfully used my dagger, though, my enemy was down, but trying to get up, and I was out of magicka, my "Highborn" was down, and my shout was still 10 seconds away... I equipped the dagger and hit the bad guy with it one time to finish him off.

Once I tried to use a bow against a group of enemy mages who were using ward spells. It was a very bad idea. Wards drain mana fast, and can't be sustained for long... I find it easier to run away from a mage using a ward and let him deplete himself. Maybe toss one handed low level spells toward him to make him put the ward back up for a few seconds at a time, but I play conservatively and try to wait him out.

Good luck. =)

Possible, very much, but you will ALWAYS do a hell lot more damage as a Warrior / Archer on higher levels on higher difficulties.

The rest is up to you.

Tho I'm still very unsure about whether the magicka regen in combat is actually bugged or not. Sometimes it feels like it goes up way too fat, the other time I get the same when I have heavy armor and when I have +200% regen.

Edited by elvinkun