[LE] Quick Questions, Quick Answers

Just a quickie

Is there a scripting function to turn off player access to the Map Screen? I am doing a bit of tweaking to my Tiefling mod and want to make life as hard as possible for her. If you also turn off the HUD compass, and don't have access to the Map, then player will have to recognise landmarks in order to navigate.

I know there is the NoGPS mod, but it always centres the map to roughly where you are. If I can make a little mod that completely turns off access to the map then it would be a good companion mod for Equip-able Maps by ScarabMonkey.

Thanks

dePog

I believe there might be a way if you use SkyUI. Some of the scipts it adds can probably be modified to disable the map. Aside from that, you can try and modify the vanilla interface directly the way SkyUI does. These are in the form of SWF (shockwave flash) files so that would require a bit of knowledge of how those work.

Edited by dalsio

I'm trying to create a door/teleport to a wilderness cell, but have no obvious way to choose that cell in the dropdown. I tried loading up the wilderness cell that contains the 'other side of the door' and using the 'select reference in rendering window' but at the moment it's just not choosing that door. Baffled.

Thanks.

A bit late to the party but regarding the closing map menu as soon as it opens this should work with controllers and everything:

Event OnMenuOpen(String MenuName)
  If MenuName == "MapMenu"
    UI.InvokeString("HUD Menu", "_global.skse.CloseMenu", "MapMenu")
  Endif
Endevent

An alternative to the InvokeString (if it doesn't work) is disable and enable player controls, should close open menus (at least it works for inventory and books, i guess it would do for map too)

I'm trying to create a door/teleport to a wilderness cell, but have no obvious way to choose that cell in the dropdown. I tried loading up the wilderness cell that contains the 'other side of the door' and using the 'select reference in rendering window' but at the moment it's just not choosing that door. Baffled. Thanks.

Just to clarify, there is a door or other marker in the Wilderness Cell that you are trying to select?

I am just going off some tutorials that I have watched as I haven't actually starting doing transportation like that, but I think you need to have a position marker that sets where the player appears and direction that they are facing.

Most recently, I saw this on a tutorial for creating your own worldspace. Look for that and see if that doesn't help you solve this.

Sorry, I cannot give you specific help.

Does anyone know of a way to iterate through all child locations within a parent location, e.g. identify all houses/shops in a town at runtime?

The only way I can think of would be to create a quest and set up a fairly large collection of location aliases. Quests have the ability to pick locations that match their conditions and if you have a collection of optional aliases set up as many of them as possible will fill when the quest starts. Make the first alias somehow fill with the parent location then set the others to find children of that one. But keep in mind that locations aren't cells, so you still may not get the effect you want. Using keywords you can find all of the houses, all of the shops, all of the inns, etc. so you might be better off being more specific with certain groups of aliases each looking for certain types of things.

Once the quest starts you check which of the aliases are filled. And when you need to search again you just stop and restart the quest.