Malicious ads?

Vercalos

I don't know what advertisement it was, but I just had an advertisement on the front page for the Fallout 4 section redirect me to a site that was labeled "Urgent Firefox Patch", but the URL was eixodbusinesspme.org

It also appears to have deleted itself from my browser history as I seem to be unable to locate it.

I have ads forcing a download of a java script file called "casaleRJTag.js". McAfee is stoping it as something bad. Its riding in on approved downloads, I downloaded 3 mods before going to bad, all three had forced a download of this file. Wintermute, Toxic Raider, and the settlement raiding mod from the Fallout 4 site, the settlement mod page turned into one of those spam pages that blocks the screen until you approve it, or force close the browser and clear its cache. Wintermute page for me was a nightmare, crashing and constantly running slow, thankfully its on Beth's site..

Seriously Nexus, I was really planning on using you for all my mods, I made a Bethesda account last night. I am spending more time waiting to attempt to get a mod then I am playing it. My reasons for using the Nexus is slowly dying, as I'm sure between Beth and the "other" sites I can find any mod I need without the browser headache Nexus gives me. I'm your typical user, I DL and spend a lot of time on the site, yet as you can see, rarely post until given a reason. I liked this site, but its gone downhill.

Edited by WarMachinex0

I have ads forcing a download of a java script file called "casaleRJTag.js". McAfee is stoping it as something bad. Its riding in on approved downloads, I downloaded 3 mods before going to bad, all three had forced a download of this file. Wintermute, Toxic Raider, and the settlement raiding mod from the Fallout 4 site, the settlement mod page turned into one of those spam pages that blocks the screen until you approve it, or force close the browser and clear its cache. Wintermute page for me was a nightmare, crashing and constantly running slow, thankfully its on Beth's site..

Seriously Nexus, I was really planning on using you for all my mods, I made a Bethesda account last night. I am spending more time waiting to attempt to get a mod then I am playing it. My reasons for using the Nexus is slowly dying, as I'm sure between Beth and the "other" sites I can find any mod I need without the browser headache Nexus gives me. I'm your typical user, I DL and spend a lot of time on the site, yet as you can see, rarely post until given a reason. I liked this site, but its gone downhill.

There are two solutions to this problem.

1. Adblocker.

2. Paying like 2 bucks to turn ads off.

I use the first because it's universal. As soon as I get a new credit card I'll become a Nexus supporter.

I've always adblocked and this is part of why. Even well-meaning websites can accidentally lead to infected users.

For sites such as this, I rectify that by trying to pay my dues personally, but if you can't I don't think people think less of you for being mindful of your security.

There are two solutions to this problem.

1. Adblocker.

2. Paying like 2 bucks to turn ads off.

I use the first because it's universal. As soon as I get a new credit card I'll become a Nexus supporter.

Sounds more like extortion, pay to be premium or get viruses. As for the ad blocker, I really do hate free sites not making money for offering a service. But, you forgot the third option,

3. Go elsewhere for mods.

To which I'm finding Beth's site may be all I'll ever need, without ads or viruses. Just short a few great mod authors, as I refuse to dl a stolen mod.

Sounds more like extortion, pay to be premium or get viruses. As for the ad blocker, I really do hate free sites not making money for offering a service. But, you forgot the third option,

To which I'm finding Beth's site may be all I'll ever need, without ads or viruses. Just short a few great mod authors, as I refuse to dl a stolen mod.

That really sounds like cutting off your nose to spite the face. Bethesda.net is probably going to be dead in a couple of years as far as PC modding is concerned. Just saying.

That really sounds like cutting off your nose to spite the face. Bethesda.net is probably going to be dead in a couple of years as far as PC modding is concerned. Just saying.

It really sounds like your don't know what that analogy means. Do I now get banned from Nexus or my account deleted for going to Beth's site never to have the option to dl from the nexus again? Really has the community even dropped to the point of defending this? 'Probably' since we're discussing opinions forcing people to go premium or get ad blockers is enough to keep Beth's site afloat for PC users.

Actually, the option 3 is to read this and act on it accordingly:

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3906517-ad-reporting-functionality/

And if you find an add that you think is troublesome or think gave you the virus (and I'll be honest that there is a very, very slim possibility of this happening) or is malicious then use this feature to report the ad.

The Nexus recently changed providers of their ads and will do so again if necessary. However as ads are regional and sometimes have other filters applied not everyone sees the same ads. For the Nexus to be able to help you and also track down a possibly malicious ad then they need more info.

I suggest you read the attached article for more info.

As for showing malicious ads so that they can generate money...well extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. However a one month supporter gets rid of the ads forever with just a one month supporter of about $2 U.S.

I wish you all luck getting your computers sorted out. However should you see any ads here that you think are problematic report them for Dark0ne to check out.