E + Lydia + E + Second Horse = Lydia Ride Horse....

Modslave

Seriously why are horses even in this game when the companion command system is this simplistic.

Its a horse, its not aggressive theres a SADDLE on it. Using the E cross hair over horse should = RIDE THE STUPID HORSE YOU TWIT

Whats worse is having two horses cause you bought a second at another city then having both show up at fast travel points and regardless of you having two horses it never occurs to your companion to get on the second one.

They just run a quarter mile behind you on your horse and sometimes behind your second horse as your second horse will, at times, follow you at a trot cause you're not riding it.

E + Companion + E + Horse = Companion ride horse.

This probably doesn't even need SKSE. We just need the Creation Kit to look at the companion AI packages.

yeah, the companion A.I is one of the few things that lets the game down, in my opinion. I'm sure it won't be excessively difficult to mod improved AI. And hopefully fix her damn pathing issues in dungeons (yes, lydia, I've just been beating on this big draugr chap for the past five minutes, feel free to turn up at the last second now that you've finally managed to navigate the mind-breaking labyrinth known as a tunnel with a CORNER in it)

that being said- I've not seen any NPCs actually riding horses yet, that I can recall. Is the capability even there for them to do so?

yeah, the companion A.I is one of the few things that lets the game down, in my opinion. I'm sure it won't be excessively difficult to mod improved AI. And hopefully fix her damn pathing issues in dungeons (yes, lydia, I've just been beating on this big draugr chap for the past five minutes, feel free to turn up at the last second now that you've finally managed to navigate the mind-breaking labyrinth known as a tunnel with a CORNER in it)

that being said- I've not seen any NPCs actually riding horses yet, that I can recall. Is the capability even there for them to do so?

Yeah I've seen several NPC's on horses so its there. But thats probably a script based mounted assignment.

Putting a companion on a horse would take AI package investigation though, seeing as it would naturally work well with the companion order system there may be a way to assign a different action to non-hostile targets like horses, wild life, and non-hostile NPC's to command Lydia to do different things other than "attack".

Figure on non-hostile NPC's a "distract" option might be good to allow for PC pickpocketing. Or depending on the NPC companion to even have them do the pick pocketing themselves.

Actually assigning "hunting" behavior to non-hostile wild life, so your companion actually sneaks and uses a bow rather than runs at an elk and tries to chase it down to clobber it with a sword.

And of course E + Horse = Ride Horse.

Seriously at the moment its a case of don't buy horses or don't take companions with you anywhere that requires a long haul.

Yeah I've seen several NPC's on horses so its there. But thats probably a script based mounted assignment.

Putting a companion on a horse would take AI package investigation though, seeing as it would naturally work well with the companion order system there may be a way to assign a different action to non-hostile targets like horses, wild life, and non-hostile NPC's to command Lydia to do different things other than "attack".

Figure on non-hostile NPC's a "distract" option might be good to allow for PC pickpocketing. Or depending on the NPC companion to even have them do the pick pocketing themselves.

Actually assigning "hunting" behavior to non-hostile wild life, so your companion actually sneaks and uses a bow rather than runs at an elk and tries to chase it down to clobber it with a sword.

And of course E + Horse = Ride Horse.

Seriously at the moment its a case of don't buy horses or don't take companions with you anywhere that requires a long haul.

hmm- maybe make it so, if your weapon is drawn, your orders are hostile, and she'll attack friendly npcs/creatures, and she'll perform a more neutral response (such as riding a horse) if it's sheathed? would probably require the SKSE though, depending on how this function actually works

here's an idea: using the "do something option" you target something and hit e, this pops up a radial menu with a collection of options based on the target,

horses get ride,attack

npc's get attack, talk, distract, picpocket

and so on.

even have it have other options if you're in sneak mode.

I think the companions should be able to ride on the back of the horse, with you.

So maybe not even the need to bring a second horse into the equation.

I don't know, I was immensely disappointed to find the horses basically being the same from Oblivion (short of them still looking like plastic).

I was really expecting there to be combat on horseback, with bows, magic, or swinging a mace off the side...dragon fights would be amazing.

The thing with the companions following you on foot just seemed to rub salt on the wound.

Its a horse, its not aggressive theres a SADDLE on it. Using the E cross hair over horse should = RIDE THE STUPID HORSE YOU TWIT

quoted for truth

I think the companions should be able to ride on the back of the horse, with you.

So maybe not even the need to bring a second horse into the equation.

I don't know, I was immensely disappointed to find the horses basically being the same from Oblivion (short of them still looking like plastic).

I was really expecting there to be combat on horseback, with bows, magic, or swinging a mace off the side...dragon fights would be amazing.

The thing with the companions following you on foot just seemed to rub salt on the wound.

Really, this is the kind of things that they should make into a DLC. Horse combat, families, hardcore mode (à la FO:NV). That would be better than a few piddly quests and some OP weapons (and of course I don't even have to mention horse armour, but I will so as to rub salt in Bethesda's wound).

Edited by Ringwall

• 2 months later...

I mentioned horse armor earlier. :thumbsup:

Definitely annoying that companions are stupid. Also, that they always trigger the traps. Even Varkas, who even says repeatedly "look out for traps!". Also, he has the roll perk, but not light foot? He always has to set off those poison darts? Really?

Same goes for all companions. They definitely need a revamp. Mega revamp.

Followers using horses(or mounting with you) its a good idea that i really want to see in game

and about the dumb ai, this is based on the character's behavior (agressive, cautelous and etc.) in their script, its possible only to change this, but not the stupid AI