Total Realism Overhaul

Mansh00ter

I like the idea for timed blocks, but first have to see if there is a way to differentiate between an equipped shield or no shield. If there is a way to detect that with a script, then perhaps something can be done with it.

I think there is, because the blocking with a weapon is a different animation and is less effective, so there must be something along those lines (have 0 modding experience).

Some other observations/ideas on blocking/defending: I noticed that blocking with a torch is possible. So, for dual-wielding, maybe it is possible to block. If there is a separate button/key that can be assigned for it. Actually, having a seperate button for blocking with any one handed weapon would make sense. Then, a (hopefully) simple animation with the off hand to extend to emulation a push and a stagger if it is successfully connects? Again, having slight stagger and full stagger or some repercussion would make for wonderful variation and more natural combat. I know this is not a combat mod, but those things seem simple and would go a long way to re-writing the rhythm and pace of battle, where skills are necessary, but so is your skill in timing and intuition in combat.

Does any of that seem possible?

You can block with a torch, but you can't attack with it, as far as I remember, because it's not a weapon. So basically it just has shield flag enabled or somesuch. Blocking while dual wielding would require a weapon to be able to double as a shield, which I am not sure is possible. That's why I'm leaning towards dodging as a basic defense mechanic for dual wielders, since that at least I know can be done. Parrying could also perhaps be scripted to be a more timing intensive action requiring the player to be more accurate with when they use it, making it more difficult to use and thus an appropriate price to pay for being able to hit stuff with two weapons at once.

And this IS a combat mod, or better said, combat realism and immersion is a big part of it.

P.S. Just played a bit of Warband, and man, does that game have an excellent combat system... which is why timed blocks with anything but a shield is definitely something I am going to look into. It adds so much to the fights.

All armor pieces in the game will be looked at. Clothing will also have a use, from environmental protection and the way it interacts with magical attacks to having an impact on basic needs dynamics.

As for dual wielding and sheathing, that looks to me like an engine (hardcoded) problem, so I'm not sure anything can be done with that. I agree it's annoying.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can block with a torch, but you can't attack with it, as far as I remember, because it's not a weapon. So basically it just has shield flag enabled or somesuch. Blocking while dual wielding would require a weapon to be able to double as a shield, which I am not sure is possible. That's why I'm leaning towards dodging as a basic defense mechanic for dual wielders, since that at least I know can be done. Parrying could also perhaps be scripted to be a more timing intensive action requiring the player to be more accurate with when they use it, making it more difficult to use and thus an appropriate price to pay for being able to hit stuff with two weapons at once.

And this IS a combat mod, or better said, combat realism and immersion is a big part of it.

P.S. Just played a bit of Warband, and man, does that game have an excellent combat system... which is why timed blocks with anything but a shield is definitely something I am going to look into. It adds so much to the fights.

All armor pieces in the game will be looked at. Clothing will also have a use, from environmental protection and the way it interacts with magical attacks to having an impact on basic needs dynamics.

As for dual wielding and sheathing, that looks to me like an engine (hardcoded) problem, so I'm not sure anything can be done with that. I agree it's annoying.

I will have to check out Warband.... For a realistic combat experience, too me, it needs to have a sense of urgency and timing when blocking, and successful strikes/blows coming from finding an opening, with a window of time to, to go for the kill. I train in Muay Thai martial arts, which is heavily focused on striking (lots of knees and elbows), but defense is at the forefront if you don't want to get seriously injured. When sparring with skilled opponents, it is damn hard to get that crease, but when you do you must take it right when it is opening. However, when facing a skilled opponent is who much larger and stronger, they can bash the defense, creating openings through sheer strength by staggering the opponent. Having that concept in Skyrim would be something.

About the torch, your explanation gives me another idea, which I don't know if it is possible. Since there is a "script" that has the torch behave like a shield, but blocks like a sword (animation) and be able to bash, can you make a script where you have a "block" key for dual wielding and when that key is pressed, the off hand weapon thinks its a torch or shield, and when the key is released, it goes back to normal?

ManshOOter,

I was taking a look at the main page and where you have "reduce the impact weapon skill has on overall damage of the weapons" I think is a great idea. It makes sense that getting more skilled using a particular weapon type that you will do more damage with your strikes. To look at it from a more of a whole of what skill with a weapon would mean, being skilled with a weapon would mean you can swing it much easier (less stamina and more accurate/less clumsy swings), having new ways of attacking with the weapon type (new moves, like regular attacks with directional press is its own unique move, like power attacks). The latter can be a new addition to a perk tree, but I feel better skill would be slightly more damage (the more accurate strikes), much easier to swing (less stamina, more nimble, quicker strikes). Perhaps, slow down all weapon attacks and then when a player or NPC has more skill, the quicker their strikes are? Similar to how you plan archery, but instead of weaving the bow, less wieldly/effective swings at low skill level?

Edited by SunWolf

Right, I haven't read through all of this yet, but before I forget, I definitely think that there should be mobility bonuses depending on the type of armour your character uses. Personally, I would rather my character wearing normal clothing, and would like at least some kind of bonus from this. Heavy armour reduces mobility, etc. I'd love to be able to hit a little bit faster, simply because I'm taking the risk of not wearing armour.

Also, is there anything you could do about dual wielding and sheathing? I'm sick of pulling a sword out of nowhere.

And how about the a time scaling mod, so you can adjust how quickly time goes by? Just giving my two cents.

Great read so far. :biggrin:

Your character in skyrim already has mobility bonuses for light armor, you move slower and make a lot more noise (unless you have the right perk for that) when you wear heavy armor. Maybe augment the effect though to make it a more noticeable difference.

hopefully options will be given for something like this, for personal preference, as i really like a few of those ideas but don't want use some of the others (especially no fast-travel, it would take me 3 hrs real-time to do any mission). i remember FWE in fo3 and PN in new vegas had menus to customize the settings and it would be nice if a mod that did those things had one.

About the lack of directions others than the location itself maked on your super futuristic satellite view of skyrim, I'd suggest that the quest giver provide a roughly drawn map with a rather confusing location but, something to lead the player to that specific region. Of course he will end up searching on several locations around and eventually find the cave/fort whatever, within the just explored radius that the roughly drawn map with confusing mark provided. Those confusing marks would increase in accuracy depending on the quest giver importancy, for example, from extreme rougly imprecise maps and marks for beggar related quests, and totally accurate maps and marks for Jarls, imperial generals quests...

Also add some rare very detailed maps of skyrim, with several remarkable locations to the library of the Winterhold college, and maybe to some other coherent locations, like imperial/stormcloak camps with not so detailed versions, non lootable maps but with marks you can update on your own map as you wish(I've seen this inside some Jarls palace but despite the "Updated Map" message showing at left top screen, nothing happens on my map itself. Not sure if is a bug... havent dig on that.

Also a toggable default 3d satellite map/2d oblivion like map with the above settings.

I'm totally looking forward to see what this thread will come up with once the Cs is released. Happy celebrations all.