Total Realism Overhaul

Mansh00ter

Last advice for the Basic Needs feature:

People in medieval-like setting of Skyrim did not have fresh water at their disposal at all times - sure, people drank fresh water from a stream when they could but most of the time they drank beverages like beer or weak wine. Cyrodilic Brandy and expensive wines should make you drunk but drinking cheap wine and beer should NEVER make you drunk and they should actually be used as the goto beverage when thirsty - only poor peasants drank pure water just like that as it was not very tasty and not healthy.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, as a little side effect of Basic Needs, you will be able to get drunk AND pass out (I believe that's currently impossible in vanilla game), but only from strong drinks. All food items and drinks will also have their restorative effects removed (so eating will NOT heal you and drinking non-magical beverages will not give you unrealistic benefits).

In addition to buying drinkables in usual places, there will also be refillable water skins and the ability to drink directly from water sources. However, filthy and stagnant water will not be drinkable, so basically only flowing waters will be considered as good enough to drink from (to add a bit of extra challenge since Skyrim is otherwise full of water, plus it makes no sense to be able to drink seawater).

Stage 0 stuffed - will that be the default " i have just eaten stage" ? or only occur if you ate too many items at once?

Just for the sake of simplicity i think 4 levels is better, throw in thirst and sleep and that's 15 different levels to gauge.

levels 2 and 3 could be merged just to HUNGRY (although i love the word PECKISH)

Edited by seanxx

Yeah, stage 0 is meant to only occur if you eat too much. You start the game in Stage 1 (Not Hungry).

And I would prefer to have a more detailed gradation like this, makes things more interesting. From the player's perspective, they will just be periodically reminded via audio/text cues about their current hunger/thirst/sleep state, plus they will be able to view the current negative effects (if any) in the Active Effects section of the Magic menu.

Message rate will vary from stage to stage and be random chance based, the more severe the stage, the higher the chance.

Food nutritional values will be non-linear - that is if you are starving it will take fewer food items to go to hungry, than from hungry to not hungry. You'll have to really overdo it to get stuffed.

A few "food" items will also make you barf instead of feeding you, so if your hunger levels are above a certain threshold, they'll drop to hungry state. Just don't eat something you wouldn't eat in RL. ;)

I like the idea of replacing the food that is lying around everywhere by "old" versions. I mean, food in an Ancient Nord dungeon, lying there for days, weeks, years or whatever... no cheese should "survive" that (animals should come and eat it in less than one day in reality).

Could you even make food to spoil (I'm not sure if it's the correct english word for it) when it's in you inventory for too long?

Oh, and caravans walking arround Skyrim to transport food which get attacked by bandits and in a few cases dragons! That would add much realism.

hmm medieval-like age... nice idea. In my opinion it should have more castles, and poor villages around them. Mounted heroes, option to settle a camp with your band ;p

hmm medieval-like age... nice idea. In my opinion it should have more castles, and poor villages around them. Mounted heroes, option to settle a camp with your band ;p

Yeah, totally - this sci-fi setting of Skyrim really puts me off. Thank god for people liek Mash00ter that are actually willing to COMPLETELY overhaul the game to a more plausible medieval setting with swords and magic spells!

Edited by tomislawus