Most effective way to slay a Dragon?

isamu99

Hi guys,

What is the most effective way to combat a dragon? I am a level 11 Redguard, and my goodness do I ever struggle with those crazy things! The problem is, my character class isn't specialized in long ranged projectile weapons or offensive spells, and I'm more effective with swords, maces etc. But the damn Dragon hard ever lands and stays put long enough to get in close and get some good hits. So what should I do to put these creatures out of their misery? Or is magic pretty much the only good way to slay them?

When you hunt flying lizards whose main power is a ranged attack, yes, you need something ranged too, if you want to finish them without delay.

They tend to land sooner or later though, if you provide them with enough flat ground. You can see that when city guards fight them in the open - the wyrm lands and stays down there as long as he has enemies within his reach. After seeing how a horse "leashed" the wyrm in position near the city gates, I wonder, if the "immortal" dog could tie them down too?

Isamu I feel your pain. I play on Master difficulty where dragons are the only real threat.

Just now I took down to dragons who were attacking me at the same time. One ancient (hardest Ive encountered so far), one frost!

You definitely need ranged. If you truly want to be a effective dragon slayer in this game you need to start practicing archery and/or destruction magic. As someone mentioned, getting them to the ground is possible if you move into an open area. An area with some rocks or hills will provide you some cover from the fire/frost blasts. However, you're still faced with the problem of the dragons being able to grab you with their jaws, or blast you as you try to get close.

If you want to fight them with mainly melee, you need to put a lot of work into getting/making some frost and fire resistance gear, 1 hander with shield to block (dont use 2hand its utter suicide) and a truckload of heal potions.Unless you practice range, and get some equipment (like best bow you can find/make, +bow damage items) the dragons difficulty is only going to get worse.

I beat those two dragons by camping in a tower, and using the support pillars as cover from their blasts. Shot them when I had the chance, slowly wore them down. They landed away from me and didnt pursue, so I snuck up on them and finished them off with some more arrows.

Another tip: I use a shout called Become Ethereal in an emergency. it makes you immune to damage for a moment which I find effective when they blast me when I have no cover.

pure mage, Conjuration, Destruction and Alteration

Dragonrend is useful but not as useful as I firs thought it would be. Actually don't really use shouts against dragons. In my opinion they are not really effective. Alteration with the Wards - If I have no cover wards help a lot. Also Healing spells help a lot. Destruction: If a dragon breaths fire ice is more effective and if a dragon breaths ice Firebolts are effective. When fighting as a mage don't use the cheapest (mana) spells like forstpite, spark or flame against dragons as their range is not that far. When the dragon is on the ground I often use a dremora Lord as a distraction.

Everyone mentioning Dragonrend don't seem to realize it's a main quest spoiler ability.

Archery is your friend, but there are ways to lure a dragon on the ground. Try to stay in open areas, while being near cover if possible. Magic works well too, ice will cause stamina damage forcing the dragon to use less charged attacks.

Only sad part is that dragons tend to become the weaker of the enemies you fight. I've fought draugr that were harder lol. Might be a scaling issue.

Move to open ground, pull out a bow. Don't even have to hit it, the act of having a ranged weapon will make it land (at least in my experience). Although, for fighting the upper level dragons for the first time (and possibly many more), you'll want some kind of ability to do ranged damage, as the dragons can often land far away.

Edit: Also, there's nothing wrong with shooting dragons before they land. Just more difficult to do so than hitting it in the face with an axe, especially if you focus on the melee trees.

Edited by NSCReaver

The game is varied enough to allow any number of techniques. Personally I think dragon call and storm call are throw away shouts. I've even been hit by my own storm call when fighting dragons lol. Edited by SHIROryuu