An idea: Path of the Dovah

NeoH222

I'm in love with every aspect of this idea and hope that a modder with a lot of skill and experience offers to help you. One of my friends didn't get the game because she loves dragons even more than I do [and wouldn't even slay fake ones as a result, hehe], so a mod like this might motivate people like her to experience Skyrim as well. I also don't like the idea of ALL of my characters being dragonslayers - I've often found myself wishing for some variation to the point of wanting to take the dragons' side in the story, fate of the world be damned.

I myself plan to make a basic shapeshifting mod to help people get started [inspired by Werewolf: The Awakening, which I thoroughly enjoyed playing with in Oblivion and was clever in its design], but that's all I can do at my current skill level. At any rate, it should be easier than in Oblivion because there's already a "transformation" mechanic in the game in the form of werewolves that will help me greatly. I'll have to settle for player.setrace until the CS comes out, though >_> [hurry up, Bethesda!]. Anyways, good luck! :3

Hey, I am probably as much as a dragon lover as her, though I am a bit open to slaying evil dragons. Still, I wished there were more good dragons in the game, and that the lore behind them was more fleshed out besides being 'born evil, followed Alduin, must be killed'. Of course I didn't think there would be good dragons aside from the one you can summon, at least I thought that until a certain point.

Anyways, I did think up some new additions, as evident in the starting post. When it came to Dragonrest, I originally thought it as a sanctuary, a meeting place for dragons. As time went through, I thought of Dragonrest being a city built deep within the Throat of the World, with the sanctuary right on top of it. The player would go through quests to recruit builders and guards, leading to the player having to go through a Dwemer ruin to find a machine that could drill into the mountain. That is for the builder part of it; the guard part involves having to go to Solitude to convince a former Imperial general to help out, which further opens up a recruitment quest to recruit people willing to become "Dragon Knights", as I call the main guards in Dragonrest.

Hello fellow Dovah worshipers, Neo has agreed to join my mod Dragonborn: The Fallen Greybeards where this wonderful questline will be center stage for anyone willing to go the extra mile to stop Alduin in the end. This particular section of the mod will not only present the user with the quest above, but a chance to become a Dovah late-game via a special shout that can be mastered when the Dragonborn accepts who he is and masters his Thu'um.

I was talking to the fellow Skyrimians over in the Dragon form thread and what eventually surfaced was this.

@Budz It'd be cool if each form were extended, and each their own power so each were once a day. The way to revert to normal form could be a shout that releases your stored draconic energy making you transform, so it's still useful in combat.

This is my idea of the three form dragon char, first form with scales increases armor, health, health regen, stamina and stamina regen. Also boosts speed about 15%. Still have shouts with increased cooldown.

Second form is still similar to yours. Shout time is reduced by 50%, increased magicka and magicka regen. This form actually transforms you into a humanoid dragon, with wings, a tail and claws (not a huge jump for argonians, lol). This removes all armor, but increases your base health and armor a bit. The wings also significantly increase jump height and decrease fall speed to stay away from melee attackers. Non hostile NPCs flee from you and City Guards attack until you transform. (Maybe once per City, so they only freak out the first time)

Third form is full dragon, with shout power increased and cooldown reduced by 80-90%. Shout is main form of combat. Health vastly increased but stamina and magic irrelevant. Same deal with everyone being hostile until a quest is done and you are "recognized".

I must say that I am particularly happy how everything is falling into place for D:TFG and makes me feel like the SCK can't come fast enough. Until then, happy gaming!

I agree that the boss dragons should definitely be more terrifying. Though if the generic dragons are also made powerful would they not harm too many NPCs in towns etc?

Isn't that the point? :tongue:

Looking through all the different posts, I must agree that some of the ideas here are wonderful. As Project Manager of the mod that this questline will be a part of, I will find ways to incorporate most if not all the ideas into the general scope of The Fallen Greybeards.

@Neo Hikato

Dragonrest will be fine inside the mountain Throat of the World even though the Fallen's lair is beneath the same mountain. My reasoning for this is that the city will be inside the mountain itself while the lair will be a huge dungeon reaching miles down into the crust of the earth below the city and mountain.

One thing I feel I should mention though is that this 'Throat of the World' is sounding more and more like 'The Lonely Mountain' in the book The Hobbit. It has a great city in the center, thousands of secret passages, and of course a great dragon slumbering within.

Edited by Budz42

Well I suppose it has its advantages. Before going up the 7000 steps, I encountered an elf who said he was totally content with life after I asked him why he is so happy - five minutes later, after running away like a coward from a huge bear, I find him in dead in the farmyard... mauled.. I never found out what his purpose in Skyrim was.

@Budz42

Hm, I never thought if it like that. When it came to building up a city, I envisioned it to be a technological Mines of Moria in Lord of the Rings. What I mean is, one of the quests is to find a dwemer drilling machine that would help build the city. As it turns out, the machine itself acted as a base of operations for the dwemer's constructions in Skyrim, holding blueprints to things. These blueprints are reused to build different versions of dwemer machines. Sentries, for example, would look the same but be made out of steel or iron. Not bronze.

Sounds like a good (part of a) mod to me!

There are some things I would like to point out.

About the cooldown:

There is this item, Amulet of Talos, that decreases the cooldown of shouts with 20%. So that means, it is possible to make some sort of Artifact to decrease cooldown. (just pointing out an option)

Thinking about the idea of 40 Souls for no cooldown, IMHO, a cool (but probably hard to implement) idea would be to spend dragon souls on a specific shout (any shout) to decrease the cooldown of only that shout with a certain percentage.

About the Thu'um sequence to befriend dragons:

This is going to take long with cooldowns. I would think more in a certain way of speech-craft / persuasion: (new) non-offensive Thu'ums used to persuade dragons to join your cause. Maybe different "Persuasion shouts" for different types of dragons, that would mean 5 new shouts (thus 15 new Words of Power).

And about the "Dragonrest". I have plans to make Sky Haven Temple some sort of base of operations for the Dovahkiin. Considering your "dwemer drilling machine", this could be applied, since Sky Haven Temple has a big room (for operations and discussions), a good place outside and a crappy sleeping space, but no personal quarters for the Dovahkiin, tunnels / caves for dragons and whatever other idea's and/or requirements could be asked. It does mean a change of location...

Edited by JibstaMan

About the cooldown idea:

I have thought up of one shout and one passive effect for this.

As Dovahkiin with a transformation shout, the Dovah form will decrease shout cooldowns as posted earlier.

For passive effects, I was thinking about a Thu'um skill constellation. Similar to the different magic skill paths, the Thu'um path will allow for greater distances, greater potency, shorter cooldowns and effect longevity.