Bug in Markarth

pottman

I've encountered a bug where after completing the Mission "No One Escapes Cidhna Mine." Every Guard in the city still talks to me like it's end of the mission "The Forsworn Conspiracy." I don't know how to remedy this. Also, on a similar note, the leaders of the Companions are following me around and engaging me in conversion. Hope someone knows what to do, and hope I haven spoiled anything.

I have the same problem!!

I really really want to enter the city but the guards doesn't allow me to make up for my crime.

I did the same quests and now the town just hates me. I got 3 quests inside markhart and the only way as i see it.

Is to say "i'll rather day tan going to prison" and run to the quest persons and talk to em fast and be lucky to survive the attempt.

Tried 5 times, still not succeded.

Heard of a lot of people with this bug. Might draw away from that quest until a patch is released. However, this might fix it. I'll put in it in spoiler tags just in case:

If you run away from the guards at the Shrine of Talos, instead of accepting jail time through dialogue, the guards will stay there even after finishing the quests The Forsworn Conspiracy and No One Escapes Cidhna Mine. Entering the Shrine of Talos will prompt them hostile and when exiting the shrine again Markarth will revert back to the state it was in before the escape of Cidhna mine (Markarth guards in the street).

Another bug may occur when encountering the guards in the Shrine of Talos. They may treat you as if everything were normal and will not attempt to arrest you. For PC users, open console and type "setstage ms01 100". This will complete the The Forsworn Conspiracy questline and send you to jail. Once you wake up, type "setstage ms02 0", which will force the next quest (No One Escapes Cidhna Mine) to begin. Xbox and Playstation users be warned, this bug is not fixable on consoles.

(Possible spoilers) On the PC if the Markarth Guards do not warn you off after having investigated the Inn for Eltrys and you get stuck (Guards won't arrest you) when returning to him after finding out all you can about the Conspiracy, if you wander the streets and do meet the Guard who warns you off and then returning to the Temple, you will still get arrested (or attempted to get arrested).

Another known glitch is; upon completing the quest, and exiting the city with the forsworn any time you go back to Markarth the guards will start the framed murder dialogue and the only way to get out of it is resisting arrest and running out of the city.

I'm not sure it is a bug. I was having issues with this one as well. But, I decided to 'brawl' with the big Orc and beat him...I went from there. I don't want to give to much away, but I did not get involved with the fight after the escape, I just stood back and watched. I let them figure things out themselves. After that, the guards did not attack me and the Jarl even apologized to me. So I have no clue, I just said goodbye to Markarth while the going was good...

It seems that any infraction after the main quest causes this to happen and as there's no working jail anymore it gets confused. If you're using the PC version there's a fix explained in another thread...

Fast travel to the stables ouside the City with your weapons sheathed, when you're approached by a guard who tries to arrest you go into the console, click on the guard and give the command "paycrimegold" and all should be well - note that using the command inside the City won't work.