Main Quest ending

katashy

Finished the main quest line yesterday. It was a good final battle (unlike the one in Oblivion), but everything after seems kind of, underwhelming. You get what, two shouts at the end? Neither are even that good. You don't get a cool weapon, armour or even any gold. No one even mentions it that much. Delphine and Esburn mention it and guards sometimes mention it but you don't get any recognition for it. People still talk down to you even though you saved the world.

To me it seems that the main questline was merely a way to explain your Thu'um and the dragons flying around you, but was more of an afterthought. What do you think?

Should have been more reward, but I did like the way they did it. Although I'd have more enjoyed listening to an extended version of the main theme playing in the background as the dragons said their piece and flew around at the end. Might have even watched credits, if they were run there in a minimalistic way.

I ended up standing there on the mountain for a while, not sure where I should go next.

Should have been more reward, but I did like the way they did it. Although I'd have more enjoyed listening to an extended version of the main theme playing in the background as the dragons said their piece and flew around at the end. Might have even watched credits, if they were run there in a minimalistic way.

I ended up standing there on the mountain for a while, not sure where I should go next.

Yeah. Credits would have been nice, it kind of ended abruptly. Maybe DLC will pick it up or something. I hope so.

The ending was shorter than I'd hoped, but it wasn't hard to see coming what with the whole Valhalla business. That dragon ride had one-way ticket to endgame written all over it. Trouble is, there wasn't as much buildup to it as there was to Paradise in Oblivion, and I think that's what let me down a bit. It seemed as though most of the main story consisted of running around trying to find out what the ultimate objective was- and I'll give Bethesda credit for not pulling the big reveal too early. However, once Alduin was identified as the Big Bad, dealing with him seemed to be a trivial affair... fetch MacGuffin, fight predictably abortive boss battle, talk to a few people, head for final dungeon and defeat Alduin once and for all. Getting into the afterlife is meant to be something really, really difficult. In Oblivion you spend half the game gathering the materials you need to open a gateway there; in Skyrim you jump into a giant spiritual garbage disposal and you're through the door.

It felt as though the immensity of the undertaking suddenly plateaued somewhere around the first battle with Alduin, and the entire finale felt anticlimactic because you had already both literally and metaphorically reached the top of the highest mountain. Pursue ancient dragon with a god complex into the afterlife and kill his soul for all eternity? Pft. I've already made time itself my *censored* with an Elder Scroll, and besides- it's not as if crossing over to the other side and dismembering a demigod isn't something I've had practice with. I only did it three times between Oblivion, Knights, and Shivering Isles. Show me an afterlife that I have to work for and then I'll be suitably impressed by it.

Personally, I think that the final method of entry into the hereafter should have been the honest way for a change. The one method we've never used to gain access to other planes of existence in this series is actual death- which would have made the destination all the more meaningful to reach. I would have enjoyed something along those lines- instead of summoning one dragon to use as a taxi, how about a series of quests to learn the names of a whole host of dragons... with your goal being to summon all of them at once and die in glorious battle. If you happen to beat them all (because somebody would, sure as I'm a gamer), then Alduin drops in when you're weakened after the battle and snacks on you while laughing. Proceed to enter Valhalla, battle your way through the spirits of worthy ancestors to earn your place, and then collect the Scooby Squad for the final showdown.

Ah well.

One thing I'm very happy that Bethesda didn't do was have Paarthunax betray you after squishing Alduin. Since the Blades, who've been treated in the past as the series' Designated Good Guys, were very insistent in wanting him dead, I figured that when I appeared back on the mountaintop the very next thing I'd hear would be "thanks for taking out my rival, mortal!" - followed by another couple hours of questing and dragon extermination. Since the choice was open-ended, I regretfully ignored the Blades' continued requests to kill the critter who made it possible for mortals to challenge Alduin in the first place. They'd have me deep six the one voice advocating reason and peaceful coexistence among all dragonkind? I think I'll side with the Beards on that one. :thumbsup:

Edited by Wrath_Of_Deadguy01

One thing I'm very happy that Bethesda didn't do was have Paarthunax betray you after squishing Alduin. Since the Blades, who've been treated in the past as the series' Designated Good Guys, were very insistent in wanting him dead, I figured that when I appeared back on the mountaintop the very next thing I'd hear would be "thanks for taking out my rival, mortal!" - followed by another couple hours of questing and dragon extermination. Since the choice was open-ended, I regretfully ignored the Blades' continued requests to kill the critter who made it possible for mortals to challenge Alduin in the first place. They'd have me deep six the one voice advocating reason and peaceful coexistence among all dragonkind? I think I'll side with the Beards on that one. :thumbsup:

I hear that. I am left wondering what would have happened had I killed him though. The other dragon was skeptical that Paarthunax had the juice to make any impact on the Dragons. The Blades are right to an extent, but does that mean that we should not have hope? Still.... I wonder...

Personally, I think that the final method of entry into the hereafter should have been the honest way for a change. The one method we've never used to gain access to other planes of existence in this series is actual death- which would have made the destination all the more meaningful to reach. I would have enjoyed something along those lines- instead of summoning one dragon to use as a taxi, how about a series of quests to learn the names of a whole host of dragons... with your goal being to summon all of them at once and die in glorious battle. If you happen to beat them all (because somebody would, sure as I'm a gamer), then Alduin drops in when you're weakened after the battle and snacks on you while laughing. Proceed to enter Valhalla, battle your way through the spirits of worthy ancestors to earn your place, and then collect the Scooby Squad for the final showdown.

That would be the best ending ever. Unfortunately we had to stick with the usual predictable method for going to the "afterlife" =\

Didn't mind the story or whatnot, but the final battle was really disappointing. Didn't seem like they balanced Alduin to be any tougher against 3 additional guys smacking away. Didn't notice any special attacks, ai or anything. Killed him in less than a minute.. was pretty underwhelming. Less intuitive than fighting Red Gnoll Chieftan in Vindictus. Edited by Reddimus