Beware of Adware!

Spirit0f64

And even if u have to use steam to play the game you can always start Steam in offline-mode, so no internet connection is made a part for the first time installation! I'm playing Skyrim with my laptop and i don't have internet connected to it!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Just No. You got hit with a drive by exploit, likely because you haven't updated Java, or you're still running XP. Many of these Malware apps don't even start up until you connect and use the internet anyway. Install MSE and do a *full* scan. Get rid of that Spybot trash. I'm sure you'll find you are still infected.

And Adobe's PDF reader.

Oh, and sad to say, MSE has let me down twice now. I've had viruses popup while MSE was on, and MSE didn't flinch.

Because my computers are tuned personally by me, that means that adware will cause my system to lock up whenever present.

That is hands down the silliest thing I have read all day. I also like that essay you wrote about your computer prowess, nice answer to a question nobody asked.

Edited by FoolyFooly

You don't need to launch steam at all to play skyrim (and with quite a few other titles on steam). Just double click tesv.exe.

Bethesda are probably the least offenders when it comes to DRM of the 'aaa' studios. I guess it works for them, their titles are easily cracked yet they still sell millions.

Personally I like giving beth my money and I hope they keep it up. On the other side EA/Bioware are never going to see another cent from me.

First of all, you don't need to download from steam, you can install from the dvd just fine, a quick google would have told you that in 5 seconds.

Second of all, my steam did not come with any of the adware you mentioned, those registry entries don't exist for me.

edit: slightly related third: You don't ever have to use steam again after validating your copy.

I was about to post about how wrong the bolded post was, but then I decided to test it. I closed Steam completely, and went into C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim and clicked on SkyrimLauncher.exe. It started up Steam, which then started the SkyrimLauncher so I could click play. But I knew what the Play button referred to naturally, so I clicked Exit, closed Steam again, and just clicked on TESV.exe instead. It immediately started up the game, no Steam at all. I even check my Task Manager for Steam, nowhere to be found. I was pretty happy about it. :D

Unfortunately, it won't log my hours for me, let me get Steam Achievements, and I won't be able to see when my brother is playing if I do it without Steam, so, sadly...I think I'll still be using Steam in the meantime. :/

Edit: the above poster found out before me, darn it.

Edited by natelovesyou

Because my computers are tuned personally by me, that means that adware will cause my system to lock up whenever present.

That is hands down the silliest thing I have read all day. I also like that essay you wrote about your computer prowess, nice answer to a question nobody asked.

I hate to troll or flame anyone, but I also found that comment hilarious.

I also personally build and "tune" my own computers... and I never have system lockups or crashes, and any adware I've ever had on my system I have either been able to remove via antivirus software or manually.

Have used Steam since the release day of Half-life 2, never had a problem with it that somehow wasn't caused by my own actions.

And again, Spirit0f64, as mentioned in your equally pointless thread you made yesterday, it was well known before the release that Steam would be required.

I hate to troll or flame anyone, but I also found that comment hilarious.

I also personally build and "tune" my own computers... and I never have system lockups or crashes, and any adware I've ever had on my system I have either been able to remove via antivirus software or manually.

I do build my rigs and "tune" computers and no problems or malware or adware or viruses found so far! Maybe it is the technique he is using.. some kind of old technique to get it all wrong :wink:

I've heard about fire trolls, frost trolls - but a forum troll o.O ?

that guys stories are so ridiculous, i don't even care comment more than this - maybe he has learned a new word lately: adware,adware boom

Edited by ScorpionHunter