Beware of Adware!

Spirit0f64

If Steam installed adware don't you think those who have been using it for years would have noticed? your last rant was silly enough but this is just ridiculous, anyway as said just run the game from the exe if you don't want to use Steam.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Steam installed adware don't you think those who have been using it for years would have noticed?

Pretty much this. I have used Steam for many years (including briefly way back when it WAS part adware/spyware, before Valve got their crap straight and paid attention to what their users said/wanted), and there is currently no spyware/adware in it. If this were 2003, yes I would agree that Steam had major issues and shouldn't be used, but they straightened that out after major upheaval between their own forums and many other boards causing an uproar about the whole adware idea.

That said, @OP you might want to also check your Spybot is updating properly (consider an uninstall/reinstall), I run it as well and no such files have ever showed up while Steam was installed on any of the multiple PCs I have used it on over the past several years.

Well people...watch your backs. I pre-ordered my copy of Skyrim in July and received it yesterday only to discover that I can't load the game without using Steam. Sooooooooo...I loaded the program and had to wait 4 hours while it downloaded the game I just purchased on DVD! What's up with that????? Anyway, the system locked up after a few minutes into the download and I had to reboot. Since I build my own systems, I know when something is awry and I decided to run my spyware program. Please understand that I had just checked the system prior to loading Steam because new definitions were available and there was no spyware on the system. After installing Steam and my system freezing, I ran the program again and here's what I found:

The name of the Adware is W3i.IQ5.fraud and is listed as AdwareC. It adds 2 registry entries that you will have to remove. These can be found at:

(SBI $467B1F92)Settings @ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Freeze.com

AND

(SBI $678078F9)Settings @ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\W3i

Because my computers are tuned personally by me, that means that adware will cause my system to lock up whenever present. Sadly, I was building a new system because I was eager to embrace all the graphic improvements that Skyrim had to offer. It is an AMD 6-core with 16GB DDR3 using 4 HDD on RAID 10 and dual Radeon HD6870 on Crossfire. Now, because of this, I am disappointed to have to report that the game that was 90% of the reason for doing this new build will be the only game that does not get installed. The game has bee trashed ($90 down the toilet) and Steam has been removed from my computer and will never again be permitted to install. My best to those of you who don't mind having adware on your computers, but as far as I'm concerned, any infection is a bad infection. Looks like I'll be heading back to Oblivion...and gladly too.

Spirit0f64

Another Steam bashing Post? Really? let me say this once more. I own 160 steam titles and have had no issue. I am a professional gamer. I don't just tweak my Operating system I completely control what components and modules are built into it with specialized software and pure old fashioned know how. In-fact i run a OS that most think cant be used to any degree XP 64bit. And when I say you are sadly mistaken about steam being spyware my friend, I am only being honest.

And after just reading your OTHER STEAM bashing post...

Located HERE!!!

I think you are just here for the attention and being an idiot.

As others have said, you should have installed from the DVD. Steam allows you to record accomplishments and more importantly, keep your game up to date. Most games will be patched at some point, Bethesda games, definitely.

I too have used Steam for years with no problems.

'Been using STEAM for many years, no adware, no spyware, no viruses. No issues with Skyrim, it installed correctly and in minutes on my El Cheapo 3-MB/S connection. Frankly considering the overwhelming response of "this is a unique issue, it did not effect me" I would suggest you improve your own security, and issue obviously exists, but it would seem as though you need a much more modern OS, and vastly improved internet speed. STEAM is a very secure service, and one that works very well, only a true technophobe would try to avoid it, as services such as it are the grim unwanted future gaming, and alas but being a technophobe is a dificult thing in our world.

'Been using STEAM for many years, no adware, no spyware, no viruses. No issues with Skyrim, it installed correctly and in minutes on my El Cheapo 3-MB/S connection. Frankly considering the overwhelming response of "this is a unique issue, it did not effect me" I would suggest you improve your own security, and issue obviously exists, but it would seem as though you need a much more modern OS, and vastly improved internet speed. STEAM is a very secure service, and one that works very well, only a true technophobe would try to avoid it, as services such as it are the grim unwanted future gaming, and alas but being a technophobe is a dificult thing in our world.

That is the best thing i have read all day, A technophobe as you put it that plays pc games and apparently tunes his computer... no wonder it doesn't work for him.