Perk Strategy

Monster3201

I went Nord and decided to play as mostly Destruction Magic, Archery, and One Handed :wallbash:

I realize this is my first character and the game is still new so no one has the best methods determined yet, but I'm realizing I chose my race and style of play incorrectly.

What I'm REALLY wondering is with only 50-80 perks to use, is it best to be spread out among 10 or so perk trees? or is it better to focus on like 5 or less trees and get all the perks in a tree as opposed to getting help in a lot of areas.

Also, does anyone know of a mod that lets you reset your perks?

I dont see any "Best" way of perking.

It all depends on how you play.

For example I like to play sneaky as I dont like blunt up close melee engagements. I sneak around and try to backstab opponents or pick them off from afar one by one with arrows. Thus I love perks from Stealth, Archery and One Handed trees.

Only tree I found completely useless no matter how you play is the Lockpicking. I can pick master locks no problem without any perks in that tree. The only potentially useful perks in there is the treasure hunter one. But I think all it does is give you a higher chance of finding magic items, no? If so, I could care less about that because I got a pile of loot to sell already as it is now, with no NPCs with enough gold to buy them up as quickly as I acquire more loot.

The best way? It's like someone else is telling you how to play the game. You choose the perks YOU feel are good, and that fit your playstyle and would make the game more enjoyable etc. Why would you need an FAQ, really?

Perking makes it totally impossible to be master fighter/thief/mage like you could in pretty much every previous game.

While that stinks to some degree, I think if you get every perk in one area, those powers make you uber-powerful no matter what area you specialized in.

I'm not necessarily looking for someone to TELL me how to play the game, but I was just curious in ideas or if this game was RELIANT on you perking a certain way in order to take down some tougher endgame bosses. I'm really enjoying Destruction right now, and I just wish I could get some of my points back now that I realize I don't need heavy armor, so I'd like some of my smithing points back since I know I don't want the ability to make glass or elven weapons or anything. I'd rather put it toward enchanting or other magic schools.

I also wish I would've known I would go Destruction because Nord race gets like zero magic bonuses (or maybe this doesn't matter as much as I think it does).

I'm at level 23, too far in to start over really....just realizing my perks will be limited to 50-70 I would like some of them back to spend in to trees that I want to focus on....

I dont see any "Best" way of perking.

It all depends on how you play.

For example I like to play sneaky as I dont like blunt up close melee engagements. I sneak around and try to backstab opponents or pick them off from afar one by one with arrows. Thus I love perks from Stealth, Archery and One Handed trees.

Only tree I found completely useless no matter how you play is the Lockpicking. I can pick master locks no problem without any perks in that tree. The only potentially useful perks in there is the treasure hunter one. But I think all it does is give you a higher chance of finding magic items, no? If so, I could care less about that because I got a pile of loot to sell already as it is now, with no NPCs with enough gold to buy them up as quickly as I acquire more loot.

Hey, now, the perk that keeps your lockpicks from breaking is a useful one! :pirate:

You could use console commands to remove the perks you don't want and replace them equally with the ones you want:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Console

addperk <perk ID> - Gives your character the selected perk.

-Ex. "player.addperk C44C0" would give your player the perk "Adept Destruction". (see individual perk pages for codes)

removeperk <perk ID> - Removes the specified perk from your skills.

-Ex. "player.removeperk 000babe8" will remove Barbarian rank 1/5. To remove perks from an established tree, you will need to backtrack through the entire tree. Meaning, start from the top and work your way down. In perks with ranks, you will need to remove rank 5/5, then 4/5, etc.

You can look up the perks for the respective skills here:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Skills

Forget about perfect builds and everything that was needed to survive in Oblivion, relax roleplay your character and pick the perks that match your playing style.

More specialization is great because being able to master every perk would be boring in the end and remove any replay value the game may have.

Seems to me you know what you want to play so just go for it. ;)

I'll be excited to see a mod that will give us unlimited perks. :happy:

If you wanted to cheat that hardcore, you might as well just use the player.addperk console command...yeesh.