I am terribly disappointed in Bethesda

CelerasRingor

I enjoy reading people getting all flame-y in regards to the differing opinions about this game. Oddly enough, not to dissimilar from current American political forums that I have read.

Anyway, I'm inclined to agree with most of what I've read here. The game is far to static. I got promoted to Imperial Legate. Now since I'm entirely sure of the rank structure of the Imperial Army, I'm going to roll with the Roman equivalent, which was to say, a general officer. So, as a general officer, if I choose to Dragon Shout around town, I don't expect a common soldier to come over and tell me that i can do it like I'm part of the riff raff. In fact, the ONLY soldiers that seemed to notice my rank were the ones in Imperial Camps that all disappeared after I ended the civil war.

Yup. Oh, and as an Imperial Legate I killed the Emperor. That in and of itself should have started another civil war, however that would be a touch too epic probably.

I think that if Bethesda is unwilling, in a game like this, to factor in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th order of effects for quests, they shouldn't include the quest in the game. Quality, in an RPG, beats quantity every time.

As I've said before, I can't wait for Obsidian to start work on Skyrim: New Vegas. They'll get it right.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't just tell us to 'ignore' that quest. It's just lazy. How hard is it to add a few more steps to these quests during development?

To people saying you can choose to opt out of the Markarth quest, technically, yes you can, but there is no knowing that that is the end of the quest. From playing previous Bethesda titles there were similar quests like this and there were always different paths you could take so I figured that if I went and rescued the priest I could help him purify the shrine. I had no idea I was doing something bad until I reached the end.

I enjoy reading people getting all flame-y in regards to the differing opinions about this game. Oddly enough, not to dissimilar from current American political forums that I have read.

Anyway, I'm inclined to agree with most of what I've read here. The game is far to static. I got promoted to Imperial Legate. Now since I'm entirely sure of the rank structure of the Imperial Army, I'm going to roll with the Roman equivalent, which was to say, a general officer. So, as a general officer, if I choose to Dragon Shout around town, I don't expect a common soldier to come over and tell me that i can do it like I'm part of the riff raff. In fact, the ONLY soldiers that seemed to notice my rank were the ones in Imperial Camps that all disappeared after I ended the civil war.

Yup. Oh, and as an Imperial Legate I killed the Emperor. That in and of itself should have started another civil war, however that would be a touch too epic probably.

I think that if Bethesda is unwilling, in a game like this, to factor in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th order of effects for quests, they shouldn't include the quest in the game. Quality, in an RPG, beats quantity every time.

As I've said before, I can't wait for Obsidian to start work on Skyrim: New Vegas. They'll get it right.

Yes, 100% agree.

Yeah i done some things i truly didnt want to do. But i cant leave a Quest uncompleted, then there will be no resolution =/.

If a quest is evil by nature at least add lesser evil/morally gray choices as well to the resolution of the quest. Then again with my moral standings i cant even do most of the Thieve/Brotherhood Quest at all.

if your a good character why would u become a theif or an assasin anyway?

and why do u have to complete quests?if u dont like what they ask just dont do it?

seems rather simple to me

Oblivion was the same. I really wanted to join those sirens to lure men to their hut and kill them there - but I just couldn't.

And Skyrim is no different. They really could have done some great quests that actually change the world you live in. They implement vampirism, they even have the little town that is struggling not to be overrun by vampires and even if you are a vampire all you can do is help the town. I wanted to turn it into my little vampire hideaway, where my fellow vamps would welcome me even as a feral vampire and where Idgord the Younger would wait for me in her stables to feed on her.

It's not that simple. Some quests when you accept them you don't know what is going to be asked of you, by the time you do know, there is no option to refuse or back out. I've refused 2 quests so far, 1 was removed from my journal, the other is still there, this could be a bug I don't know.

You can't just tell us to 'ignore' that quest. It's just lazy.

They really could have done some great quests that actually change the world you live in. They implement vampirism, they even have the little town that is struggling not to be overrun by vampires and even if you are a vampire all you can do is help the town. I wanted to turn it into my little vampire hideaway, where my fellow vamps would welcome me even as a feral vampire and where Idgord the Younger would wait for me in her stables to feed on her.

I think the thing that is at the heart of this issue is that those of us who want a more satisfying story experience feel a little duped. Those people who prefer more of an action-centric experience probably will not feel that way. Not that I'm saying there is something wrong with that; I loved Call of Duty because of how satisfying the combat was, and the story moved me not at all. But I don't play New Vegas, Mass Effect, or Arcanum because of how much fun it was to shoot people. I'd like to say that Bethesda will have to learn to make a more satisfying storytelling experience, but with over 3.5 million units sold in the first week they really don't have to learn anything, and I sure don't need to be the one teaching them.

I went into a certain ruin, cleared it and killed the boss at the end.

Later, I came across a quest that takes me to that ruin to kill that boss and reclaim his weapon (which I hadn't done earlier).

I did the quest and returned to the ruin (a few baddies had respawned, most were still dead), went to the boss' dead body and reclaimed his weapon -- but the quest didn't recognize that I had killed him.

Now, impossible to finish the quest. The first time I had gone to the ruin was too long ago to use a prior save.

Very frustrating. Now I'm afraid to free-roam into dungeons for fear of screwing up more quests.

Hopefully, this is an exception. If not, I'll have to start over and play a much more linear game and not explore anywhere without launching a quest via a person.

Edited by AbleGnome

I went into a certain ruin, cleared it and killed the boss at the end.

Later, I came across a quest that takes me to that ruin to kill that boss and reclaim his weapon (which I hadn't done earlier).

I did the quest and returned to the ruin (a few baddies had respawned, most were still dead), went to the boss' dead body and reclaimed his weapon -- but the quest didn't recognize that I had killed him.

Now, impossible to finish the quest. The first time I had gone to the ruin was too long ago to use a prior save.

Very frustrating. Now I'm afraid to free-roam into dungeons for fear of screwing up more quests.

Hopefully, this is an exception. If not, I'll have to start over and play a much more linear game and not explore anywhere without launching a quest via a person.

Try to resurrect and fight him again. That might trigger the script.