The Pending Death of Fallout 4 - Murder by Mod System

montybu

... But like Skyrim, in the end, when Beth is done. This game will 'live' or 'die' based on the Mod Communities Creativity to keep the game 'alive'.

Just like what is still happening with Skyrim.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the difference with Fallout 4 is that there have been far more updates in a very short space of time than there ever were with previous games (and yes I've played since Morrowind) - we're getting about one a week it seems - and PC users are getting peed off because most of them are to do with Beth's delightful Bethesda.net and console modding. That's my peeve, I get my game temporarily borked with updates that have beggar all use for me. It irritates the heck out of me getting the "Scarlet Letter" M at the side of my saves just because I use mods. Gaaaaahhhhh.....unclean!!!!! *clanks bell*

From a "RUMOR" that I've been reading here and there.

We apparently can thank the Console Players for this. Just like BETH had to Turn OFF, achievements, because and ONLY BECAUSE OF CONSOLE PLAYERS .... so many of the updates are apparently due to Console Players.

Sad but true. Just like MOD's cannot "know" when "updates/patches" from Beth will come out. No one wins. I do not blame Beth and I do not Blame Mod creators. This is literally a no-win situation. Even James T. Kirk could not 'win' this one.

Kirk would have rewritten the test though :tongue: (ie: use a better game engine that isn't prone to this)

From a "RUMOR" that I've been reading here and there.

We apparently can thank the Console Players for this. Just like BETH had to Turn OFF, achievements, because and ONLY BECAUSE OF CONSOLE PLAYERS .... so many of the updates are apparently due to Console Players.

See the thing is, losing achievements isn't a big deal because achievements are literally the most useless fad in gaming. The only function they serve is to see how far someone got in a game. Like geeze, stop blaming console players for everything.

It is not Bethesda's job to make sure mods survive every patch.

Well if the day comes when paid modding is a reality Beth will have to address this a lot more closely than they do now. Especially in the console market. They will not want to put out game patches or updates that will break mods if they can help it.

Nonsense. Microsoft did exactly the same with their Flight Simulator, they never guaranteed mod compatibility after their patches, even though many of those mods were used under license in COMMERCIAL flight simulators by flight training companies :|

When Fallout4 has paid mods, paid modders will be held to a high standard and expected to run well even after a patch. So the responsibility of the mod running properly lies with the modder. He has to code the mod so it won't break on every new patch. If a mod is coded in a way that it is prone to breaking because of funky scripts, it is the modders fault.

Bethesda is not responsible for mods working. The modders are.

Edited by lelcat

Whilst you by no means suggested all users are lazy, passive aggressive whinging illiterate, head-arse baffling manic installers of mods without looking because Todd Howard told them so I feel I have to say in defence of some users that I've not been a fan of Howard since "Happy Days" and even then I far preffered the Fonz.

Edit - just a small point regarding the supposed death of Fallout 4 & the community - my game was unplayable yesterday afternoon - I went away and slept for 8 hours, came back and apparently the dying community had sorted most of it out - I have empiracal evidence on the subject given that my settlers are no longer turning into Radroaches.

They're not radroaches, your settlers turned into Clint Howard, Ron's younger brother.

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/epics/ENT19.jpg

:laugh:

When Fallout4 has paid mods, paid modders will be held to a high standard and expected to run well even after a patch. So the responsibility of the mod running properly lies with the modder. He has to code the mod so it won't break on every new patch. If a mod is coded in a way that it is prone to breaking because of funky scripts, it is the modders fault.

Bethesda is not responsible for mods working. The modders are.

Modders are working with the files as they exist NOW. All Bethesda potentially have to do is change a couple of references in the workshop scripts, and almost every settlement mod 'breaks'.

That wouldn't be the modder's fault, nor Bethesda's fault. That's how software development works. They've changed something, the modder needs to fix it afterwards to make their mod work.

You can't 'expect mods to run well even after a patch'. For goodness sake, THE GAME doesn't always run perfectly after each patch, there's always a slew of new complaints!!?!

Certain mods and elements will work fine, but others are bound to be broken by changes made to fix bugs and repair the engine.

You can't pre-determine what Bethesda will change on a day-to-day basis. The only way to release 'perfect' mods would be to wait until after the last ever patch released before making any.

In those circumstances, this game would more than likely have already died from a quick, relatively pain-and-certainly-mod-free death, which would certainly be a shame.

All Bethesda potentially have to do is change a couple of references in the workshop scripts, and almost every settlement mod 'breaks'.

I remember years ago when Microsoft had a similar situation with competing business productivity suites. A tweak here and a tweak there with the OS and suddenly those other programs were not so competitive. That is not to say that Bethesda would in any way feel competitive with the Nexus. Heaven forbid. How could a mega-mod site possibly pose a competitive threat when they do not charge for mods?

I think paid modding will change the entire way we use mods. Would anyone shell out money for a better-looking ivy or nightshade? I know I would wait for the reviews to come in on everything. No more spur of the moment downloading. Many good things would never be explored and given a chance. When serendipity has a price tag it changes everything. some mod authors might back away from attempting labors they suspected would be relegated to the great pile of the undownloaded.