Skyrim Complaints

sedanimal

It seems some of you have forgotten that games are meant to be fun, not filled with complexity. You are focusing so much on some of those details that you cannot enjoy the game, you are ignoring the bigger picture.

It depends. For example for me, the complex magic (a lot of various spells, spell making, several layers of enchanting etc.) and complex alchemy IS FUN. The simplified magic of Skyrim, basically reduced to FPS style shoting is not too much fun.

True.

Skyrim's magic system feels simplified, but it also feels a lot more interactive.

In Oblivion for example the magic system was quite complex, but it just wasn't fun (personal opinion) to play as a mage. The spells were weak, and unimpressive. A fireball in Oblivion is a toothpick compared to a fireball in Skyrim, in both effectiveness and visuals.

Morrowind's magic system was really good. I've been mostly playing as a pure mage, and it both felt good, was powerful and it had complexity.

It comes down to personal taste, as always. It's not everyone's cup of tea.

I enjoy it, with more complexity I would enjoy it even more.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skyrim has taken massive leaps forward in some areas and massive leaps back in others. But I'm going to be uncharacteristically optimistic and say that most of what is good about Skyrim would have been hard to mod and most of what is bad should be easier to mod.

For example, in comparison to Oblivion and Morrowind, the spell effects look much better and magic duals feel more visceral with the ability to ward and continue channelling a spell until your run out of magicka. But that came at the cost of a decreased number of spells, no spellmaking, and removing a school of magic. But adding in dozens of new (but balanced) spells is a task most modders are better suited for than creating new animations.

Another example: we have pretty decent animations for smelting, forging etc (which would have been hard to mod), but we're lacking a reason to eat, the ability to pay for enchanting or smithing to be done by NPCs on your behalf. But most modders would be better able to create a hunger/cooking system than they would the animations for them.

There's also a lot more personality in each dungeon, and the world looks great, but the dungeons and night are far too bright. Bur, playing with lighting values should be a lot easier than creating new models or even textures.

I imagine in a year or so, somebody new to Skyrim will be enjoying the game immensely with a host of great mods that add to the realism, balance and fun. In much the same way I enjoyed FNV when I played it earlier this year due to great mods like Project Nevada.

Oblivion has kept me entertained for years due to its mods, personally I never expected much from vanilla Skyrim compared to modded Oblivion (which is around 22gb on my hard drive). I wasn't disappointed as a result, but I'm going to be hell impressed once the mods come, and hell let me ride <*spoiler*> already!!!

Nice platform, will have to wait for the ability to mod it. This is the direction of the future, but you would think that they would just release it as open source and charge for the construction set and a license, and let the modders make some money for making the game. They did the hard code, the kernel, now lets see what it looks like when you crack that nut open.

It's really buggy: Crashes a lot. Floating NPCs. Dragon souls often not absorbed, even when the dialog says they are.

UI: Still haven't found a way to re-map the keyboard. Awkward to use.

Other Annoyances: Dialog often drowned out by level changes in background noise or music. Buy from a vendor too fast, and a whole bunch of your gold vanishes.

Good game. Enjoying it a lot.

Wouldnt mind spears being introduced. They were a fairly basic and very common weapon among Norse warriors (and evryone else) and woulod look cool I think.

Can we have some chain hauberks please and can scale armour (iron/steel and leather - yes they did have leather scale) look like scale armour (no problem with the Dragon stuff looking wierd but I like realistic looking armour personally).

Hey, while we're att it, add a cooking skill...)

Cheers

Skyrim isn't released yet. I'll wait for the modding community to finish Skyrim first before I start playing the game. :)

You know, I was all set to put in a few of my thoughts plus n minus for Beth's attempt.

But you took the wind out of me.

So true!! LOL.

I have pretty much put the game aside after about 40 hours of game time. Not played in days other than

to install a few mods and doodle with them some.

I'm expecting the game might be ready to sample again, in depth anyway, sometime Jan 2012, assuming

the TK arrives in early December.